News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jorge Soler Zero Percent Financing Thud On The Shower Door SPLOOGE Fest  ( 67,870 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
If Joe is going to start Ryan Kalish over him, is it time to send Jorge down to a Iowa to get him some playing time?

*Nevermind, I see Joe Ross has pretty insane L/R splits (.430 OPS vs RHB in his career so far, .791 LHB). So that kinda makes sense I guess, but still worth asking if Jorge might be better off playing every day in Iowa till he can get into a rhythm of some kind.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 05, 2016, 03:08:57 PM
If Joe is going to start Ryan Kalish over him, is it time to send Jorge down to a Iowa to get him some playing time?

*Nevermind, I see Joe Ross has pretty insane L/R splits (.430 OPS vs RHB in his career so far, .791 LHB). So that kinda makes sense I guess, but still worth asking if Jorge might be better off playing every day in Iowa till he can get into a rhythm of some kind.

There's just not enough at bats to go around. I think I'd rather see Javy out there most of the time and Bryant in the outfield. But even if you send him down for a while, they would have the same issue when he comes back.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

You seem pretty eager to S your P's about Jorge and Heyward. Given that this team is on pace for about 300 wins and basically every other player is meeting or exceeding expectations, and that Heyward is traditionally a slow starter and has a bum wrist, and that Jorge retracts into his shell in early season cold weather, maybe give them more than a month before pushing the panic button?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on May 06, 2016, 09:10:25 AM

You seem pretty eager to S your P's about Jorge and Heyward. Given that this team is on pace for about 300 wins and basically every other player is meeting or exceeding expectations, and that Heyward is traditionally a slow starter and has a bum wrist, and that Jorge retracts into his shell in early season cold weather, maybe give them more than a month before pushing the panic button?

Do you even know how the panic button works, RV?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I'm not panicking about Jorge, he's just not getting any playing time and if the argument seems to be that he "needs to get into a groove" it seems like giving him every day PAs somewhere might be a thing they should consider. I'm not saying "he sucks, get this bum outta here". Hell, if anything I'm still kind of on team "let him actually get, like, multiple starts in a row for once."

If Joe isn't going to play him, though maybe they'd be better off sending him to Iowa to OPS over 1.000 and look more appealing to trade partners? I also don't really buy the cold weather argument given how he tore up the world last October. He could also get a lot more reps to work on his defense in left at Iowa.

I'm also not trying to be panicky about Heyward, but fangraphs had an article about this being arguably the worst stretch of his career even taking into account his typical crappy Aprils and the injured wrist is something making me a little more worried that maybe he won't just shake it off, not less? It's not like I think he sucks, I'm just worried that maybe this wrist is actually kind of a big issue? He's not hitting anything very hard, at all. That would seem to be a reason for concern.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 06, 2016, 09:17:13 AM

I'm not panicking about Jorge, he's just not getting any playing time and if the argument seems to be that he "needs to get into a groove" it seems like giving him every day PAs somewhere might be a thing they should consider. I'm not saying "he sucks, get this bum outta here". Hell, if anything I'm still kind of on team "let him actually get, like, multiple starts in a row for once."

If Joe isn't going to play him, though maybe they'd be better off sending him to Iowa to OPS over 1.000 and look more appealing to trade partners? I also don't really buy the cold weather argument given how he tore up the world last October.

I'm also not trying to be panicky about Heyward, but fangraphs had an article about this being arguably the worst stretch of his career even taking into account his typical crappy Aprils and the injured wrist is something making me a little more worried that maybe he won't just shake it off, not less? It's not like I think he sucks, I'm just worried that maybe this wrist is actually kind of a big issue? He's not hitting anything very hard, at all. That would seem to be a reason for concern.

Here's a list of players on the team that have more PAs than Jorge: Rizzo, Bryant, Fowler, Zobrist, Russell and Heyward. I think you might be overreacting to a one week sample in which the Cubs faced some pretty tough righties in Teheran, Cole and Ross which limited his playing time since La Stella has been swinging the bat well. And everyone knows that April cold is different than October cold. Once the summer heat warms up their blood, the Latins stay nice and toasty through November.

As for Heyward, I think the Cubs have shown they're going to err on the side of caution in keeping people healthy for the postseason. If he needs to be DL'd I'm sure they'll do it. They have the depth. If not, I'm going to assume it's minor and has just exacerbated his usual early season struggles a bit.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on May 06, 2016, 09:25:51 AM

If Joe isn't going to play him, though maybe they'd be better off sending him to Iowa to OPS over 1.000 and look more appealing to trade partners? I also don't really buy the cold weather argument given how he tore up the world last October.

Here's a list of players on the team that have more PAs than Jorge: Rizzo, Bryant, Fowler, Zobrist, Russell and Heyward. I think you might be overreacting to a one week sample in which the Cubs faced some pretty tough righties in Teheran, Cole and Ross which limited his playing time since La Stella has been swinging the bat well. And everyone knows that April cold is different than October cold. Once the summer heat warms up their blood, the Latins stay nice and toasty through November.

As for Heyward, I think the Cubs have shown they're going to err on the side of caution in keeping people healthy for the postseason. If he needs to be DL'd I'm sure they'll do it. They have the depth. If not, I'm going to assume it's minor and has just exacerbated his usual early season struggles a bit.

All fair points. I think seeing me at my worst last year has some people assuming I mean the worst when I really don't. I'm not angry or upset about Jorge not playing, just questioning at what point he might be better off getting every day PAs somewhere.

As for Heyward that shockingly low hard hit rate only became more worrisome to me when they said he had a wrist injury, given how those tend to linger and rob guys of power. So that situation at least merits monitoring, without me coming off like a panicky douchebag. I'll let you know when I'm panicking, sir. It's unmistakable.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 06, 2016, 09:35:22 AM

All fair points. I think seeing me at my worst last year has some people assuming I mean the worst when I really don't. I'm not angry or upset about Jorge not playing, just questioning at what point he might be better off getting every day PAs somewhere.

As for Heyward that shockingly low hard hit rate only became more worrisome to me when they said he had a wrist injury, given how those tend to linger and rob guys of power. So that situation at least merits monitoring, without me coming off like a panicky douchebag. I'll let you know when I'm panicking, sir. It's unmistakable.

I seem to recall that Heyward was hitting the ball on the screws for the first few weeks of the season.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on May 06, 2016, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 06, 2016, 09:35:22 AM

I seem to recall that Heyward was hitting the ball on the screws for the first few weeks of the season.

He's got a hard hit % of 16.9% so far this year. His career average is 30.7%. I think people remember him getting robbed of some liners against STL and have extrapolated that to the rest of his struggles but something is definitely off.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Joe Maddon has done a little better than OK throughout his managerial career with managing his roster.

I'm just going to go ahead and believe he knows what he's doing here better than any of us do.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 06, 2016, 10:26:42 AM
Joe Maddon has done a little better than OK throughout his managerial career with managing his roster.

I'm just going to go ahead and believe he knows what he's doing here better than any of us do.

Who was questioning Joe other than no one?

I was asking if Jorge is better off in Iowa if Joe isn't going to play him, not asking why Joe isn't playing him. Sending him to Iowa probably isn't Joe's call.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

I think that sending Jorge down would be damaging to his ego and he'd lose touch with some of the people who are trying to help him the most on and off the field for awhile. I know there are people who will say so what, grow up, you big pussy, but those people don't know what's best for him any more than I do. We're talking about a team that has developed talent for the big league club at an astounding rate. Maybe they think what's best for Jorge is that he gets acclimated to life in the U.S. and the big leagues at a pace that isn't putting a ton of pressure on him to perform. Just do what you can, big kid, listen and learn. Ask questions. Go buy a dog and get some smoking hot black latina chick to live in your apartment and feed you both. Guess what, the weather will get warmer and so will your bat. We've seen it happen. Love, love, love.

Or send him to Iowa where he can crush the shitty pitching, eat at taco bell and show up for games without a belt on. Meh.

The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on May 06, 2016, 10:32:52 AM

I think that sending Jorge down would be damaging to his ego and he'd lose touch with some of the people who are trying to help him the most on and off the field for awhile. I know there are people who will say so what, grow up, you big pussy, but those people don't know what's best for him any more than I do. We're talking about a team that has developed talent for the big league club at an astounding rate. Maybe they think what's best for Jorge is that he gets acclimated to life in the U.S. and the big leagues at a pace that isn't putting a ton of pressure on him to perform. Just do what you can, big kid, listen and learn. Ask questions. Go buy a dog and get some smoking hot black latina chick to live in your apartment and feed you both. Guess what, the weather will get warmer and so will your bat. We've seen it happen. Love, love, love.

Or send him to Iowa where he can crush the shitty pitching, eat at taco bell and show up for games without a belt on. Meh.

The Des Moines area actually has a severe lack of Taco Bells. It's mostly Taco Johns here, which is garbage.

Also again, you mistake me. I don't want Jorge sent down. I want Jorge to stay, and play, and hit, but it's possible he's just not going to get those opportunities while Javy and La Stella are making a more compelling argument for playing time. I was just asking if they might be better off letting him get into a rhythm as an every day player and coming back up whenever those two inevitably cool off.

You can say being sent down is damaging to his ego but perhaps so is being benched for Matt Szczur and getting judged on one or two PAs a game once or twice a week?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on May 06, 2016, 10:29:44 AM

Who was questioning Joe other than no one?

I was asking if Jorge is better off in Iowa if Joe isn't going to play him, not asking why Joe isn't playing him. Sending him to Iowa probably isn't Joe's call.

You're right. Asking why the team isn't doing with a player what you view to be logical isn't questioning management at all. What was I thinking?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on May 06, 2016, 10:32:52 AM

This is a very good post and an example of why I keep coming back to Desipio in spite of the tentacle smut links that pop up when I try to search for terms like buttpuddle and jelqing.