News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Lunch... Jeetyet?  ( 21,943 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Lunch... Jeetyet?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Quote from: BH on May 06, 2014, 12:22:47 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 06, 2014, 11:05:38 AM
Hot Doug's closing in October.

That is all.

Stuart, from Austin, has all the reasons why in the comments section. He clearly has Hot Doug's all figured out.

Translation: Thanks Obama.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
Quote from: Fork on May 06, 2014, 01:47:00 PM

That is all.

Stuart, from Austin, has all the reasons why in the comments section. He clearly has Hot Doug's all figured out.

It's not a stretch to think that increased costs associated with running a QSR and his insistence on being there every minute it's open might have caused him to say "Fuck this noise, I'm a GONNA DRINKEN" or whatever. Seeing that he's the offspring of a well-known urologist, Sohn might not have really needed to turn much of a profit anyway.

Maybe Sohn's got his eye on sitting in the big chair in City Hall in 2015, and and Oct. 6 campaign launch is in the works. If so, he'd not be the first Sohn to seek that office in our lifetimes.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 09, 2014, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: Fork on May 06, 2014, 01:47:00 PM

That is all.

It's not a stretch to think that increased costs associated with running a QSR and his insistence on being there every minute it's open might have caused him to say "Fuck this noise, I'm a GONNA DRINKEN" or whatever. Seeing that he's the offspring of a well-known urologist, Sohn might not have really needed to turn much of a profit anyway.

Maybe Sohn's got his eye on sitting in the big chair in City Hall in 2015, and and Oct. 6 campaign launch is in the works. If so, he'd not be the first Sohn to seek that office in our lifetimes.

Does Al have relatives in Austin?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 03, 2014, 03:24:25 PM
The 25 best sammiches in Chicago.

Nothing makes one feel old and lame like reading something like that and recognizing, like, 4 of the restaurants.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 05:55:52 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 03, 2014, 04:33:10 PM

Nothing makes one feel old and lame like reading something like that and recognizing, like, 4 of the restaurants living in Hoffman Estates.

GO BACK TO THE SUBURBS!'d
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 05:00:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on December 03, 2014, 04:33:10 PM

Nothing makes one feel old and lame like reading something like that and recognizing, like, 4 of the restaurants.

Nothing makes one feel bitter and twisted like reading about twenty-five sandwich restaurants that you cunts have failed to mention.  I know what I'm eating next time I'm in town: all twenty-five of these.

EDIT: okay, twenty-three.  I feel like Xoco and Au Cheval have been mentioned round these parts before.  BUT NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ME GO THERE, DAMMIT.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »
Not sure where to put this but hey Tonk - you made some dutch dish and posted a pic on Facebook. My wife wants to know what it is and the recipe.

Care to share?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 08, 2014, 11:16:33 AM
Not sure where to put this but hey Tonk - you made some dutch dish and posted a pic on Facebook. My wife wants to know what it is and the recipe.

Care to share?

It's a bowl of maggots.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 08, 2014, 11:16:33 AM

Care to share?

In a pan, fry four small-ish pork shoulder chops (say a pound, pound and a half) until nice and browned.  Slowly bake five or six large pork sausages in a medium oven until brown and sticky.  Remove bone from chops, and chop all the meat into bite-size chunks.  Fry half or three-quarters of a pound of chopped streaky bacon until brown and crisp.

Then roughly chop:

2-3 onions
3-4 carrots
1 large or 2 small leeks
1/2 to 3/4 of a celeriac, peeled
3 sticks celery

Add four-five cloves, two or three bay leaves, a good tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves, and fry all veggies in your fat of choice until softened.  Then add a pound and a half of dried split peas, and four pints (around two litres) of good organic meat stock.  Add all meat to the pan and bring to the boil.  When boiling, skim off as much of the scum on top as you can.  Continue to boil gently until more or less all the stock has been absorbed and the peas are good and soft.  Season to taste (depending on how salty your bacon and stock are, it might not need much).  Serve with rye bread, butter, and mustard.

As you can see, the quantities aren't terribly scientific, and I never make it the same twice.  As long as you use more or less all the ingredients, in more or less the right quantities, though, you're guaranteed a really, really fucking delicious bowl of food.

EDIT: It's called "Snert", and is a thicker, meatier version of erwtensoep (pea soup).

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 05:01:21 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 08, 2014, 04:33:15 PM
Then add a pound and a half of dried split peas, and four pints (around two litres) of good organic meat stock.

Leaving aside the fact that the word "organic" on store-bought "stock" is pretty much a guarantee of a subpar product in these parts, I am curious why, of all the ingredients, you thought it was important for this one.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on December 12, 2014, 05:01:21 AM
Quote from: Tonker on December 08, 2014, 04:33:15 PM
Then add a pound and a half of dried split peas, and four pints (around two litres) of good organic meat stock.

Leaving aside the fact that the word "organic" on store-bought "stock" is pretty much a guarantee of a subpar product in these parts, I am curious why, of all the ingredients, you thought it was important for this one.

To be fair, I try to make sure that pretty much everything in this recipe is organic when I make it - but especially the meat and stock.  We buy organic bones and make our own stock.  The approach I take is that (in contrast to veggies) the price difference between organic and non-organic meat products is so huge, that I dread to think what corners they're cutting to produce non-organic.  If it costs me €20 to buy a couple of pounds of organic chicken, then what the fuck have they done to the chicken for which the supermarket is charging me a quarter of that amount?  I don't know, I don't want to know, and if I can avoid it, I do.

And before you start, I'm just answering your question.  I don't give a flying fuck what you think about it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on December 12, 2014, 06:22:21 AM
And before you start, I'm just answering your question.  I don't give a flying fuck what you think about it.

Are your frappuccino and the muscle in it both organic, too?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »

Just reviewed - no Ricobene's, so that entire list can eat me raw.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16