News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,031 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #945 on: January 10, 2014, 11:12:10 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 10, 2014, 02:57:03 AM
I've never been to any of those places, chiz chiz.  As it goes, I'm not short of good beer bars around here but I must admit, I wish I could get hold of more American beer.  For beginners, you plucky little Yanks are doing not badly, you know?

Speaking of plucky Yanks...

QuoteThe town of Spencer, in central Massachusetts, isn't well known for ... well, anything, really. But it's about to become internationally famous — at least in beer-drinking circles.

Spencer is home to St. Joseph's Abbey, where robed monks are busy brewing the first American Trappist beer. If all goes as planned, Spencer Trappist Ale will be available in Massachusetts retail stores by the middle of next week.

The monastery became one of only 10 official Trappist breweries in the world — and the first one outside Europe — in December.

As for their recipe, Rev. Isaac Keeley, the brewery's director, says they wanted to create a new Trappist beer that didn't taste like old Trappist beers. They tried all the classic sweet, high-alcohol styles, but found they liked what was being made just for the monks' personal consumption. What they settled on was a lower-alcohol type called refectory ale.

"The recipe allows monks to drink them on occasion and still go on and do monastic things," Keeley says. "Ours is a golden-hued, full-bodied ale. It has a nice aroma, which kind of whets your appetite."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #946 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:01 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 10, 2014, 11:12:10 PM
Quote from: Tonker on January 10, 2014, 02:57:03 AM
I've never been to any of those places, chiz chiz.  As it goes, I'm not short of good beer bars around here but I must admit, I wish I could get hold of more American beer.  For beginners, you plucky little Yanks are doing not badly, you know?

Speaking of plucky Yanks...

QuoteThe town of Spencer, in central Massachusetts, isn't well known for ... well, anything, really. But it's about to become internationally famous — at least in beer-drinking circles.

Spencer is home to St. Joseph's Abbey, where robed monks are busy brewing the first American Trappist beer. If all goes as planned, Spencer Trappist Ale will be available in Massachusetts retail stores by the middle of next week.

The monastery became one of only 10 official Trappist breweries in the world — and the first one outside Europe — in December.

As for their recipe, Rev. Isaac Keeley, the brewery's director, says they wanted to create a new Trappist beer that didn't taste like old Trappist beers. They tried all the classic sweet, high-alcohol styles, but found they liked what was being made just for the monks' personal consumption. What they settled on was a lower-alcohol type called refectory ale.

"The recipe allows monks to drink them on occasion and still go on and do monastic things," Keeley says. "Ours is a golden-hued, full-bodied ale. It has a nice aroma, which kind of whets your appetite."

I am eternally resentful that the Trappist monastery outside Charleston only made fruitcake.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #948 on: May 14, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
When I was in New Orleans at the Jazz Fest it was in the mid 90's, so I was pleased to find a specialty beer stand that sold   Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.  When I got back to the Bay Area, my son, who is with the PC police, told me that Leinenkugel is now owned by Coors.  However, the can announced in prominent letters that the beer was "union made".  By the way, the beer really was nice out in the sun, if you like fruity beer.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #949 on: May 14, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 14, 2014, 11:23:18 AM
When I was in New Orleans at the Jazz Fest it was in the mid 90's, so I was pleased to find a specialty beer stand that sold   Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.  When I got back to the Bay Area, my son, who is with the PC police, told me that Leinenkugel is now owned by Coors.  However, the can announced in prominent letters that the beer was "union made".  By the way, the beer really was nice out in the sun, if you like fruity beer.

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=855.msg220156#msg220156

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #950 on: May 14, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 14, 2014, 11:53:37 AM
Quote from: CBStew on May 14, 2014, 11:23:18 AM

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=855.msg220156#msg220156
I'm a little late to the party.  But at least I showed up with a 6 pack.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #951 on: May 14, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
Shandy still isn't beer.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #952 on: May 14, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 25, 2010, 11:18:30 AM
Quote from: Fork on August 25, 2010, 09:29:51 AM
Quote from: Tonker on August 25, 2010, 08:34:18 AM
Quote from: Fork on August 25, 2010, 07:17:00 AM
Quote from: Tonker on August 25, 2010, 12:16:06 AM
Quote from: PenPho on August 24, 2010, 03:27:44 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 24, 2010, 03:22:14 PM
Quote from: PenPho on August 24, 2010, 03:10:00 PM
Quote from: Eli on August 23, 2010, 11:22:42 PM
Quote from: PenPho on August 23, 2010, 06:57:03 PM
That's $1 cheaper than I got it, which is awesome, since I'm roughly 1000 miles closer to the brewery than you.

Which, in your view, means the beer tastes better.

Considering that the beer is made there, yes, it would be better if you could get it fresher and sooner, particularly something like a DIPA.

Chicago is closer to India than Scottsdale is.

Our IPAs are more authentic and taste better.

You buy beer made in India?

There's nothing wrong with Indian beer.  Kingfisher and Cobra both go down a storm with a curry.

so eat shite food and any beer tastes good. Got it.

Are you serial?  You're such a fucking yokel.  One of these days I'll take you for a curry in the UK and watch as you eat both it, and your words.

Man, I worked in downtown Manhattan. everything down there was either Kababs or curry. I've had plenty of "Taste of Tandoor/Bengal/wherever" (pick the place with the most taxis parked outside)...Thai curry? Now you're talking.

You are such a fountain of wrong.

Fast-forward to last month:

Quote from: ForkI think I finished my Root Cause Analysis on my not liking Indian food. The RC was the stuff I had before wasn't very good.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #953 on: May 15, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 14, 2014, 03:17:13 PM
That's $1 cheaper than I got it, which is awesome, since I'm roughly 1000 miles closer to the brewery than you.

Considering that the beer is made there, yes, it would be better if you could get it fresher and sooner, particularly something like a DIPA.

There's nothing wrong with Indian beer.  Kingfisher and Cobra both go down a storm with a curry.

Are you serial?  You're such a fucking yokel.  One of these days I'll take you for a curry in the UK and watch as you eat both it, and your words.

Man, I worked in downtown Manhattan. everything down there was either Kababs or curry. I've had plenty of "Taste of Tandoor/Bengal/wherever" (pick the place with the most taxis parked outside)...Thai curry? Now you're talking.

Quote from: ForkI think I finished my Root Cause Analysis on my not liking Indian food. The RC was the stuff I had before wasn't very good.

Indian food might be my favorite cuisine around. I need to get over to Devon some point soon.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #954 on: May 15, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 15, 2014, 01:17:55 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 14, 2014, 03:17:13 PM

Indian food might be my favorite cuisine around. I need to get over to Devon some point soon.

This. Indian Buffets are incredible as well.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #956 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
Went to the Atlas brewery at Lincoln south of Diversey last night.  They make their own Radler with a wheat beer thats pretty good, and a Stout thats even better.  Food isn't bad either.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #957 on: December 02, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
Anyone wanna make $50?

Need Person to stand in line (Whole Foods Market, 1550 N Kingsbury St,)
compensation: $50 TOTAL for 3 people, for approx 3 hours(may be less time, but I'll still pay the same).
I need 3 people to stand in line at Whole Foods for a beer release that takes place at 5pm this Friday. I have class until 3pm and will head directly there to relieve your duty and pay you for holding my spot. I need you to stand there (can bring a chair and do whatever you want to do), just need to find and stay in line for the bourbon county beer release. If you're interested email me and I'll give you details. Thanks! Wasn't able to get the beer last week, this is my last chance. Need to be there promptly at 1pm, I will be there around 3:30-4pm, at that time you can leave. Total pay for 3 people will be $50. Feel free to email me if it's only yourself or 2 people, just figured it would be easier for 3 buddies to do together.

Location: Whole Foods Market, 1550 N Kingsbury St, Chicago, IL 60642
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #958 on: December 02, 2014, 11:10:52 AM »
What are some good beers people have been drinking lately? I've been drinking high life for the most part.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #959 on: December 02, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 02, 2014, 11:10:52 AM
What are some good beers people have been drinking lately? I've been drinking high life for the most part.

Been drinking Wake Up Dead Nitro and Ten Fidy at home since winter set in.

Also went to the Lagunitas tap room this weekend and had a flight of NightTime, Maximus, Lagunitas Sucks and Imperial Stout. Those were good.