News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Beer  ( 214,025 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Beer
« Reply #960 on: December 02, 2014, 12:47:42 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 02, 2014, 11:10:52 AM
What are some good beers people have been drinking lately? I've been drinking high life for the most part.

I've been having a few different things from Deschutes. I like their Jubelale a lot -- perfect winter beer.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #961 on: December 02, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 02, 2014, 11:36:11 AM
What are some good beers people have been drinking lately? I've been drinking high life for the most part.

Been drinking Wake Up Dead Nitro and Ten Fidy at home since winter set in.

Also went to the Lagunitas tap room this weekend and had a flight of NightTime, Maximus, Lagunitas Sucks and Imperial Stout. Those were good.

I drink tons of Lagunitas Sucks. 

It's definitely a weekly purchase.

The other stuff I drink is mostly not available in Chicago, so I won't bore you.
If I lived there I'd probably just drink Zombie Dust until I was homeless.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #962 on: December 02, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2014, 02:26:47 PM

Also went to the Lagunitas tap room this weekend and had a flight of NightTime, Maximus, Lagunitas Sucks and Imperial Stout. Those were good.

The other stuff I drink is mostly not available in Chicago, so I won't bore you.

My most recent purchases have included Ten Fidy and the always good Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro.  Also I've always liked New Holland's The Poet but I don't know if it's ever been mentioned here.

Finally, thanks to Pen for pointing out that he's such a Big Wheel down at the Beer Drinking Factory that he likes stuff you guys have probably never heard of.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #963 on: December 02, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
Quote from: CT III on December 02, 2014, 03:42:14 PM

My most recent purchases have included Ten Fidy and the always good Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro.  Also I've always liked New Holland's The Poet but I don't know if it's ever been mentioned here.

Finally, thanks to Pen for pointing out that he's such a Big Wheel down at the Beer Drinking Factory that he likes stuff you guys have probably never heard of.

It's just not available in Chicago, IDITO.

Also, I made it quite clear that you have a beer that I would drink and spend myself homeless for.

But fine, I have been drinking lots of:
Ballast Point Sculpin
Ballast Point Victory at Sea
Lagunitas Sucks
Firestone Velvet Merlin
Firestone Union Jack
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Duchesse De Bourgogne

Those the most.  You may be able to get Firestone there. Quite likely, actually.
Definitely Celebration. 
Probably Duchesse.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that are top of mind.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #964 on: December 02, 2014, 11:36:46 PM »

Alright that's good - thanks. My brother now works for Lagunitas so I get free beer all the time. Hoping to go to the tap room and drink lots of free beer soon. Yes I'm bragging.

The Duchesse recommendation reminds me that a 4 pack of cuvee des jacobins rouge is in order. Haven't had one in forever. That's my favorite flemish ale hands down.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #965 on: December 03, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 02, 2014, 11:36:46 PM

Alright that's good - thanks. My brother now works for Lagunitas so I get free beer all the time. Hoping to go to the tap room and drink lots of free beer soon. Yes I'm bragging.

The Duchesse recommendation reminds me that a 4 pack of cuvee des jacobins rouge is in order. Haven't had one in forever. That's my favorite flemish ale hands down.

My brother-in-law worked for a Miller distributor (Chicago Beverage), then Leinenkugel's, the Miller (thanks to the completion of their merger), then MillerCoors (thanks to the completion of their merger), then a Miller distributor (Mullarkey) as long as I've known him. Thus, a shitload of free beer of varying quality. But free beer is the best kind in my experience.

This past July, he became Illinois market manager for Summit Brewery, which makes a nice IPA and a terrific Extra Pale Ale. I'm not the beer connoisseur some of you are, but I like beer: shitty beer, good beer, great beer, free beer, moderately priced beer, expensive beer. The only beer I detest is the $9.75 warm miller lite available at Soldier Field.

In summary, buy a shitload of Summit beer in Illinois so my brother-in-law does not have to move my sister and niece in with me. And also, Slak's life became approximately 20% more awesome with his brother's career development. Far more beneficial than having a brother employed by the post-Jim Kelly pre-Kyle Orton Buffalo Bills.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #966 on: December 03, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2014, 04:19:21 PM
Quote from: CT III on December 02, 2014, 03:42:14 PM

It's just not available in Chicago, IDITO.

Also, I made it quite clear that you have a beer that I would drink and spend myself homeless for.

But fine, I have been drinking lots of:
Ballast Point Sculpin
Ballast Point Victory at Sea
Lagunitas Sucks
Firestone Velvet Merlin
Firestone Union Jack
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Duchesse De Bourgogne

Those the most.  You may be able to get Firestone there. Quite likely, actually.
Definitely Celebration. 
Probably Duchesse.

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that are top of mind.

You can definitely get Firestone's offerings in Chicago - Velvet Merlin is now back in season and is terrific.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #967 on: December 03, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »
Of late, I've been drinking a lot of Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, Sierra Nevada Celebration, and Dogfish Head 60 Minute which just became available in WI after a several year hiatus.

I don't know if you guys get Central Waters stuff in Chicago (according to this, you might). Most of their "regular" beers are alright -- not bad, but not great -- but I just picked up a pack of their Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. I'd compare it favorably to Dragon's Milk if that's your kind of thing. Very similar in taste but not as pricey and a bit lower-octane so you don't get as much of the alcoholic aftertaste. Still not something you want to drink more than one or two of in one sitting, but worth a go if you like oak/vanilla/bourbon flavored stouts. They've got a few other barrel-aged beers like a Scotch Ale and a Cherry Stout, but I've not seen them around.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #968 on: December 03, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on December 03, 2014, 09:19:25 AM
Of late, I've been drinking a lot of Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, Sierra Nevada Celebration, and Dogfish Head 60 Minute which just became available in WI after a several year hiatus.

I don't know if you guys get Central Waters stuff in Chicago (according to this, you might). Most of their "regular" beers are alright -- not bad, but not great -- but I just picked up a pack of their Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. I'd compare it favorably to Dragon's Milk if that's your kind of thing. Very similar in taste but not as pricey and a bit lower-octane so you don't get as much of the alcoholic aftertaste. Still not something you want to drink more than one or two of in one sitting, but worth a go if you like oak/vanilla/bourbon flavored stouts. They've got a few other barrel-aged beers like a Scotch Ale and a Cherry Stout, but I've not seen them around.

We get Central Waters here.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #969 on: December 03, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 03, 2014, 09:47:26 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on December 03, 2014, 09:19:25 AM

We get Central Waters here.

Well, in that case, it's complete crap.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #970 on: December 04, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »

Waited on line on Black Friday for Goose Island Bourbon County Barrel Stout.  Was very tasty.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #971 on: December 05, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on December 04, 2014, 09:24:31 PM

Waited on line on Black Friday for Goose Island Bourbon County Barrel Stout.  Was very tasty.

How long a line are we talking about? My local place in Colorado had no line, but a 1 bottle limit. I opted for the Barleywine.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #972 on: December 05, 2014, 12:12:23 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 05, 2014, 10:10:44 AM

How long a line are we talking about? My local place in Colorado had no line, but a 1 bottle limit. I opted for the Barleywine.

Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #973 on: December 05, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 05, 2014, 12:12:23 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 05, 2014, 10:10:44 AM

So many fat, bearded dudes.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #974 on: December 05, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24501907@N03/15768469840

That was the Binny's at north and clybourn, and that was about the half way point of the line, it ran another block and a half.

And yes a lot of fatness and beards
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.