News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The LEGO Movie  ( 8,817 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The LEGO Movie
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:47:33 PM »
The Murton consensus was it was going to be a hack job.  Well, the reviews are starting to come out:

"THE LEGO MOVIE is inspirational in the best of ways, and as pure a magical experience as Pixar at their very best"

Another guy said it was "Toy Story Good."

13 for 13 on Rotten Tomatoes.

I'm in.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The LEGO Movie
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »
Well, I like Legos and I like movies. What could go wrong?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
Quote from: Bort on February 04, 2014, 12:26:47 AM
Well, I like Legos and I like movies. What could go wrong?

The critics are saying it's also heavy Batman. In a good way. I think you and I should go together.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:27 AM »
Like I said...

... though I'd love to see this.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »
Fucking great. The first 30 minutes comes off as wrote and pretty standard.

Then...

Everything is awesome.  Some terrific comedy. Great cameos. And a third act that I don't see how anyone could predict.  Toy Story 2 level good.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
Well, I guess I should have known better than to believe that Chuck might not be at least partially wrong about something.  Like the Curate's egg, this movie was good - but only in parts.  Indeed, there were several flashes of absolute brilliance and definitely a few laugh-out-loud moments.  The sheer work that must have gone into it is mind-boggling.  Nonetheless, there were stretches that were... how can I put this?  Dull?  Boring?  Flat?  I nearly nodded off once or twice.  A big, fat, meh.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:57 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 27, 2014, 11:38:27 AM
Well, I guess I should have known better than to believe that Chuck might not be at least partially wrong about something.  Like the Curate's egg, this movie was good - but only in parts.  Indeed, there were several flashes of absolute brilliance and definitely a few laugh-out-loud moments.  The sheer work that must have gone into it is mind-boggling.  Nonetheless, there were stretches that were... how can I put this?  Dull?  Boring?  Flat?  I nearly nodded off once or twice.  A big, fat, meh.

This is great news.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 28, 2014, 09:03:57 AM

This is great news.

You didn't like it because you don't like me.  Your loss.  It's awesome.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:29:34 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 28, 2014, 09:41:03 AM

This is great news.

Hang on... who doesn't like who?  I don't like you?  I like real-life Chuck very much indeed.  One of the most stand-up guys I've ever met.

As far as the film is concerned, I really wanted to like it.  I really tried to like it.  I just couldn't.

A bit like, you know... Internet Chuck.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »
For probably the first time ever, I'm going to agree more with Chuck than Tonker.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 10:35:49 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 28, 2014, 10:32:55 AM
For probably the first time ever, I'm going to agree more with Chuck than Tonker.

As am I.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 28, 2014, 10:29:34 AM

This is great news.

Hang on... who doesn't like who?  I don't like you?  I like real-life Chuck very much indeed.  One of the most stand-up guys I've ever met.

As far as the film is concerned, I really wanted to like it.  I really tried to like it.  I just couldn't.

A bit like, you know... Internet Chuck.
[Real Chuck Mode]

I can see being kinda bored the first 20 or 30 minutes.  And I can see how that might tune you out to the rest of the film.  But once they got on the ship and the awesome cameo ship appeared, I was reengaged and thought it was as funny as any movie I've seen in years.  Then, once it got to the third act, I thought it got Toy Story good.  And the last line? Applause Laugh Funny.

I can also see it being built up too much my critics and people like me raising expectations (as has happened to me many times) and it not being as good as it was made out to be.

Maybe you just need to get away from Denmark.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »

This is great news.

I didn't see it because I saw the ads and thought "Meh." Then I saw how you ranted and raved about it and I thought, "Well?" But Tonk confirmed my original impulse about the thing and I'm back to not ever seeing it unless it's on in the middle of the night and I am absolutely stoned out of my mind. Anything could be good in that situation. Even Artie Lange's "Beer League"
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 06:09:10 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 28, 2014, 05:18:09 PM

This is great news.

I didn't see it because I saw the ads and thought "Meh." Then I saw how you ranted and raved about it and I thought, "Well?" But Tonk confirmed my original impulse about the thing and I'm back to not ever seeing it unless it's on in the middle of the night and I am absolutely stoned out of my mind. Anything could be good in that situation. Even Artie Lange's "Beer League"

You're gonna need a lot of ganja to make Beer League "good."