News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,799 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 16, 2014, 09:25:14 AM
What on earth are we talking about?

About how the Cubs apparently have 30 Javier Baezs in the minor leagues.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 16, 2014, 09:25:56 AM

Just wait until we trade them for 25 Theriots.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2014, 09:33:05 AM »

But really, there's a big leap from "it's too early to worry about Baez" to "it's not even that big of a deal if Baez somehow doesn't work out." Those are two very different things.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2014, 10:02:17 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 16, 2014, 09:33:05 AM

But really, there's a big leap from "it's too early to worry about Baez" to "it's not even that big of a deal if Baez somehow doesn't work out." Those are two very different things.

He's got a minor injury lets make jokes about how he's dead was my thinking.

I guess some people actually have already accepted his death and moved on.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:52 AM »

Search me.  Everybody seems to think everybody's worried about Baez, whereas, as far as I can tell, only one person is worried about him.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »

Bottom line is, don't worry about Baez. Whether he becomes Gary Sheffield or Gary Scott is out of our control anyway.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
Quote from: Fork on April 16, 2014, 10:12:04 AM

Bottom line is, don't worry about Baez. Whether he becomes Gary Sheffield or Gary Scott is out of our control anyway.

He's not panning out.  Prospects never pan out.  As we see with that bum Rizzo or that lazy latino Castro. 

Who's the infield version of Jeff Franceour?  We need him!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »

That's probably just the Fork pendulum swinging dramatically the other way for rhetorical effect.

I think the valid point is that, as hopeful as we are for the chance to watch Baez mash major league pitching from this July through the end of the 2015 World Series, it's nice to know that we don't have all of our eggs in his basket.

That, even if Baez falters and doesn't meet our possibly lofty expectations, he's still just one of three potential middle-infielders-of-the-future at the top of the system.*

That, given the reality (as Al Yellon is so eager to tell us) sometimes "prospects" don't work out and/or die, it's exciting that the Cubs suddenly have prospect depth everywhere but catcher.

OK... Everywhere but catcher and pitcher.

*Also filed under: "reasons to not freak out about Starlin either"
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 16, 2014, 05:44:39 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 16, 2014, 02:44:08 AM
Quote from: Tonker on April 16, 2014, 02:24:08 AM
Quote from: Oleg on April 15, 2014, 09:33:57 PM
I think y'all who are worrying about or not worrying or whatever about Baez are missing the point a bit.  The Cubs have a ton of amazing minor league talent.  7 of the top BP101 and that doesn't really include all the international talent they signed last year (top two available, per BA).  Plus they have the fourth pick in June.

So, take it easy, Tonker and Pen.

I, too, am excited about the talent that the Cubs have, and am confident that some or all of it is going to make a significant difference to their fortunes in the very near future.  Huzzah!  Indeed, it's precisely because of this that getting one's knickers in a knot about Baez' performance after a couple of weeks of a new season at a higher level is utterly, utterly, UTTERLY FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

Yeah. And if there was anyone here reacting to the last couple weeks I'm sure this great point would have changed his mind.

If Baez had started in AAA the way he finished in AA, there's no fucking way we're having this conversation now.

No.  I hinted at a similar point during Spring Training and it's something I've been thinking about for at least a year.  When he went on the DL last week we started talking about him and since every prospect analyst I've read is ready to induct him into the Hall of Fame I figured I'd ask if anyone else shares the same concern.  It's not like I said he's not going to be a good player, which is clear if you go back and read the original post.  Just, he might not reach the ceiling everyone is talking about if this little problem isn't fixed, or am I off-base here and this is not as big of a problem as I thought?"  The stats comparing him to Vlad Guerrero addressed the last part of it and put a lot of this concern to rest.  For some reason you care more about the timing of the question than the question itself.  I guess I don't understand this Tonk complaint at all.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »

Will it be disappointing if Baez is a complete flop? Absolutely.  But I think I'm less inclined to "worry" about him simply because he was a draft pick under the Hendry's regime, which proved itself to be completely inept at drafting.  So I guess if Baez develops into a very good major leaguer, I'm viewing it as found money.  If Baez had been drafted by Epstein and flopped, well then I'd be disturbed.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
Quote from: CT III on April 16, 2014, 11:06:56 AM
So I guess if Baez develops into a very good major leaguer, I'm viewing it as found money.

Which is almost as good as gas money and/or beer money?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »

Will it be disappointing if Baez is a complete flop? Absolutely.  But I think I'm less inclined to "worry" about him simply because he was a draft pick under the Hendry's regime, which proved itself to be completely inept at drafting.  So I guess if Baez develops into a very good major leaguer, I'm viewing it as found money.  If Baez had been drafted by Epstein and flopped, well then I'd be disturbed.

CT, stop posting my thoughts as yours.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »

That's reasonable enough. In general, I'm not worried about him because he was insanely awesome last year and I'd be surprised if he flopped. If he somehow does, my disappointment would primarily be because he's the closest prospect to the majors and it'd make it that much harder for the Cubs field a good major-league team in the near future.

But to -- hopefully -- wrap this up, I see no reason to actually be concerned about that yet.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 16, 2014, 11:26:57 AM

That's reasonable enough. In general, I'm not worried about him because he was insanely awesome last year and I'd be surprised if he flopped. If he somehow does, my disappointment would primarily be because he's the closest prospect to the majors and it'd make it that much harder for the Cubs field a good major-league team in the near future.

But to -- hopefully -- wrap this up, I see no reason to actually be concerned about that yet.

If he is the second coming of Dave Kingman will that be success or will that be failure?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 16, 2014, 11:26:57 AM

Agreed. He'll probably come off the DL mashing and even if he doesn't, he's young. Epstink is .... not terrible?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?