News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,806 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 19, 2014, 10:31:28 AM
Pretty interesting statfhaggery from Fangraphs on how pitchers already have a solid scouting report on Baez and they're not giving him anything to hit.

Or, as noted in the comments (with an unnecessary swipe at Javy's intelligence), they see his minor league K rates and figure they don't need to give him anything to hit - that he'll get himself out swinging at bad pitches. Part of his adjustment will be showing that he can lay off those pitches.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: August 19, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 19, 2014, 11:03:23 AM
Pretty interesting statfhaggery from Fangraphs on how pitchers already have a solid scouting report on Baez and they're not giving him anything to hit.

Or, as noted in the comments (with an unnecessary swipe at Javy's intelligence), they see his minor league K rates and figure they don't need to give him anything to hit - that he'll get himself out swinging at bad pitches. Part of his adjustment will be showing that he can lay off those pitches.

Part of the adjustment will also be as the talent at the big-league level improves, Baez will get more ABs with runners on base - particularly 1st. This will mean more fastballs in/near the strike zone (to prevent stealing) and more balls being sent to far-away places.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2014, 01:30:53 PM »
Quote from: R-V on August 19, 2014, 11:03:23 AM

Yeah that guy more or less says "I have my doubts he's that smart because he sounds like a guy who can barely speak english". Because he's, y'know, not a native english speaker, moran.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: August 19, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 19, 2014, 01:26:22 PM
Part of the adjustment will also be as the talent at the big-league level improves, Baez will get more ABs with runners on base - particularly 1st. This will mean more fastballs in/near the strike zone (to prevent stealing) and more balls being sent to far-away places.

I don't have the time to look it up, but this just seems like something that isn't really statistically true.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: August 19, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 19, 2014, 02:15:22 PM

I don't have the time to look it up, but this just seems like something that isn't really statistically true.

Kinda sounds like the "protection in the lineup" myth, which has been pretty heavily debunked at this point, no?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:46 PM »

Also, pretty sure the Cubs don't have any prospects that actually steal bases.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: August 19, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »

His splits (38 PAs with bases empty vs. 24 PAs with men on - small sample size, I know.) show better numbers (a 63 point spread in OPS) with men on.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: August 19, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 19, 2014, 02:28:00 PM

His splits (38 PAs with bases empty vs. 24 PAs with men on - small sample size, I know.) show better numbers (a 63 point spread in OPS) with men on.

Also, he's blind. Remember? That should improve too with science.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: August 19, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Why do we need to spend so many words saying something that's so obvious? Javy should learn to lay off bad pitches. If he does, he will be unstoppable.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: August 19, 2014, 03:07:50 PM »
Is there a stat person here who can give me a comp for a player who started with such a high K rate and settled down? I mean I know Baez has settled down himself just about every level he's been with after a while but is there any actual precedent for thinking a guy like this can ever actually develop true patience?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 19, 2014, 03:07:50 PM
Is there a stat person here who can give me a comp for a player who started with such a high K rate and settled down? I mean I know Baez has settled down himself just about every level he's been with after a while but is there any actual precedent for thinking a guy like this can ever actually develop true patience?

It might be more productive to search for players who K'd 150+ while putting up over 1.000 OPS. Sammy did that four times. It was the Nintendo era but still.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: August 19, 2014, 03:24:51 PM »

Stanton is probably the gold standard of hope for guys who struck out a ton and are now awesome while striking out a little-less-ton.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: August 19, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 19, 2014, 03:24:51 PM

Stanton is probably the gold standard of hope for guys who struck out a ton and are now awesome while striking out a little-less-ton.

Yeah. I think Javy (and Bryant too) are going to be hard to project based on what guys have done in the past because players just K more now than they ever had. I wonder if part of that is sabermetric-based organizations that put less emphasis on avoiding Ks because they're just outs, and it's more important to see a lot of pitches and try to make good at bats than swinging and something you can pop up just to "put the ball in play"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »
Also, I found research on fastballs with runners at first and You'll Never Believe the Conclusion: http://www.billjamesonline.com/stats72/

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
Quote from: Eli on August 19, 2014, 03:32:31 PM
Also, I found research on fastballs with runners at first and You'll Never Believe the Conclusion: http://www.billjamesonline.com/stats72/

I guess Fork doesn't need to do the Ice Bucket Challenge now.