News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,602 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #420 on: September 04, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 04, 2014, 09:07:01 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on September 04, 2014, 08:58:19 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 03, 2014, 09:17:53 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 22, 2014, 01:37:52 PM
We can close this thread. This Baez kid STINKS!

I don't listen to Matt Spiegel but I do listen to transition via podcast and apparently Spiegel has decided that it's time to trade Baez because he doesn't like what he's seen. I hate Cubs fans. Trade Castro, trade Baez, ..?.. profit.

I listened to him explain himself yesterday. What I heard him say was that if you hypothetically were going to trade an asset THIS offseason, you would deal Baez because his value is high and he's replaceable with Castro and Russell around. That's what prompted his callers to counter with TRADE CASTRO ZOMG!!!111!!!

Spiegel is a dork and I don't like his show. Pat Mannelly is milquetoast at best and if his sage football wisdom consists of the meatball shit we heard him say about Briggs yesterday, they might as well not bother. I would have rather seen Jason Goff get that gig. They could have paired him with Holmes and relegated Spiegs to the 6 p.m.-whenever the fuck slot. Spiegel got that job because Danny Mac insisted on him. Now Mac is gone and they're keeping Spiegs. No idea what that's about. White people, I guess. 

GOTTA TRADE SOMEONE!

*picks hanging turd out of own ass sniffs it and eats it*

I'm just confused how Gordo can declare the Cubs' rebuild a failure but also say they are so overstuffed with good players that they need to trade some of them.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 04, 2014, 09:31:51 AM

I don't listen to Matt Spiegel but I do listen to transition via podcast and apparently Spiegel has decided that it's time to trade Baez because he doesn't like what he's seen. I hate Cubs fans. Trade Castro, trade Baez, ..?.. profit.

I listened to him explain himself yesterday. What I heard him say was that if you hypothetically were going to trade an asset THIS offseason, you would deal Baez because his value is high and he's replaceable with Castro and Russell around. That's what prompted his callers to counter with TRADE CASTRO ZOMG!!!111!!!

Spiegel is a dork and I don't like his show. Pat Mannelly is milquetoast at best and if his sage football wisdom consists of the meatball shit we heard him say about Briggs yesterday, they might as well not bother. I would have rather seen Jason Goff get that gig. They could have paired him with Holmes and relegated Spiegs to the 6 p.m.-whenever the fuck slot. Spiegel got that job because Danny Mac insisted on him. Now Mac is gone and they're keeping Spiegs. No idea what that's about. White people, I guess. 

GOTTA TRADE SOMEONE!

I'm just confused how Gordo can declare the Cubs' rebuild a failure but also say they are so overstuffed with good players that they need to trade some of them.

It's a failure until they fix it and start winning. You of all people should understand that concept.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 04, 2014, 11:03:21 AM

GOTTA TRADE SOMEONE!

It's a failure until they fix it and start winning. You of all people should understand that concept.

A good thing i read from Sahadev says essentially it's going to be "who's getting traded?" stories until all of these guys are on the field together in Cub uniforms. Until that day, should it ever occur, the media will run wild with trade speculation. And they'll be wrong the whole time.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 04, 2014, 11:11:44 AM

A good thing i read from Sahadev says essentially it's going to be "who's getting traded?" stories until all of these guys are on the field together in Cub uniforms. Until that day, should it ever occur, the media will run wild with trade speculation. And they'll be wrong the whole time.

I think his point about "how it's written" is key. There's nothing wrong with trade speculation, especially for a team like the Cubs. And it's not impossible that key guys could be traded this offseason. But Gordon is just stirring crap up and it's annoying.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 04, 2014, 11:03:21 AM

GOTTA TRADE SOMEONE!

Perhaps. But it sure seems likely someone is going.  There's only 8 spots on the field. I'm going to say that RF and 1B are locked up pretty good right now.

So, in the other 6 slots you have these guys:

Castro
Baez
Alcantara
Almora
Bryant
Schwarber
Russell

That's 7 guys for 6 slots. And, if Schwarber doesn't stick at catcher, it's 7 guys for 5 slots.  Now, I don't think that it's very likely that all of them will pan out, so that could make some decisions easier.  But I also think Theo will trade someone from that list either before it's obvious the guy won't pan out or to generate value in the form of pitching. And Theo has a history of making big trades.

Yes, the stories are going to be repetitive and boring. But I don't think they'll be wrong the whole time.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #425 on: September 04, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 04, 2014, 11:26:58 AM

I think his point about "how it's written" is key. There's nothing wrong with trade speculation, especially for a team like the Cubs. And it's not impossible that key guys could be traded this offseason. But Gordon is just stirring crap up and it's annoying.
THIS

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
Fuck Gordo, back to Baez.

Since taking the golden sombrero in Cincinatti 8/26, he's struck out 11 times in 39 PAs, and he's also walked in each of the last two games.

I know it's not much, but hopefully this means he's going to start forcing pitchers to get inside the strike zone on him.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: September 04, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2014, 11:30:01 AM

THIS

Plus, as a fan, trade speculation should be fun to read and discuss. But we're not trolling for clicks/reactions like Gordo.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:55 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 04, 2014, 11:39:55 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2014, 11:30:01 AM

THIS

Plus, as a fan, trade speculation should be fun to read and discuss. But we're not trolling for clicks/reactions like Gordo.

He did a "Bryant Should Be Here" piece the other day filled with quotes from Scott Boras. Least surprising something something.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: September 04, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2014, 11:32:31 AM

Since taking the golden sombrero in Cincinatti 8/26, he's struck out 11 times in 39 PAs, and he's also walked in each of the last two games.

I know it's not much, but hopefully this means he's going to start forcing pitchers to get inside the strike zone on him.

They said if he qualified, he'd be 7th in the majors in pitches seen per plate appearance. He'll find it.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: September 08, 2014, 02:12:38 AM »
Baez made a couple of really nice plays yesterday, but this was the pick of the bunch.

Intrepid Reader: Chuck

Trade Castro!!!1!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: September 08, 2014, 08:57:27 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 04, 2014, 12:28:50 PM

They said if he qualified, he'd be 7th in the majors in pitches seen per plate appearance. He'll find it.

I mean, that'll happen when you swing and miss as much as he does. But I agree, he'll find it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: September 08, 2014, 09:30:37 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 08, 2014, 08:57:27 AM

I mean, that'll happen when you swing and miss as much as he does. But I agree, he'll find it.

that's a good point. I guess the next step would be how many balls vs strikes seen per at bat? How many fouls? I don't know. Seeing pitches is good no matter what since it tires the pitcher out just the same.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 08, 2014, 09:30:37 AM

that's a good point. I guess the next step would be how many balls vs strikes seen per at bat? How many fouls? I don't know. Seeing pitches is good no matter what since it tires the pitcher out just the same.

I'm flashing back to Apex's hatred of Matt Murton, along with my favorite line of his, something to the effect that Murton's greatest strength as a hitter was not swinging the bat.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #434 on: September 08, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
Quote from: CT III on September 08, 2014, 09:46:49 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 08, 2014, 09:30:37 AM

I'm flashing back to Apex's hatred of Matt Murton here, along with my favorite line of his, something to the effect that Murton's greatest strength as a hitter was not swinging the bat.

That's also a good point.