News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,801 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #450 on: June 08, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 08, 2015, 01:48:20 PM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on June 07, 2015, 05:48:32 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-javier-baez-hurt-20150607-story.html

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!

It really does suck...for him and for the Cubs. He was making some good adjustments at Iowa.

He touched a lot of people.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2015, 01:48:43 PM »
DPD. Javy has started his rehab assignment with Mesa.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #452 on: July 27, 2015, 08:24:01 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 25, 2015, 01:48:43 PM

Do the Cubs have a timetable set for him?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #453 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:18 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 27, 2015, 08:24:01 AM

Nope, they're probably just gonna wing it.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #454 on: July 27, 2015, 09:06:25 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 27, 2015, 08:41:18 AM

Yeah, I walked into that...have they mentioned publicly how long until he's back in Iowa?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #455 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:57 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 27, 2015, 09:06:25 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 27, 2015, 08:41:18 AM

Yeah, I walked into that...have they mentioned publicly how long until he's back in Iowa?

The scuttlebutt I've read so far is that he could have had his last game in Arizona this weekend and could meet up with Iowa either today or later in the week. So perhaps it's looking good for his recovery.

I'd be pumped if he comes back to Iowa and keeps up with his new approach and forces his way to Chicago. For the record, Javy is 5-12 with 0 K and 1 BB and 1 2B in his rehab assignment with the AZL Cubs.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #456 on: July 29, 2015, 08:45:57 AM »
First game back in Iowa, 2 dongs.
TIME TO POST!

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #457 on: July 29, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 29, 2015, 08:45:57 AM

I'm ready for him at second and Russell at SS. Bye, Starlin. It's been real. Get your 2500+ hits and love life

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #458 on: July 29, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 29, 2015, 09:15:00 AM

I'm ready for him at second and Russell at SS. Bye, Starlin. It's been real. Get your 2500+ hits and love life

Would like to reiterate that while I am fine with Russell moving to SS, I am also equally fine with him just being the most dominant defensive second baseman in the majors already and would be cool with them trying to make Javy stick at SS.

I mean Russell's so good he'd probably be a fine defensive SS, but if he's already the best defensive 2B as a rookie is that worth messing with? I feel like sometimes SS is a bit overrated vs second base in terms of that being where your best defender has to play. Maybe ChuckD can show some numbers as to how many runs the best 2B saves each year vs the best SS or whatever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #459 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 29, 2015, 09:19:21 AM

Would like to reiterate that while I am fine with Russell moving to SS, I am also equally fine with him just being the most dominant defensive second baseman in the majors already and would be cool with them trying to make Javy stick at SS.

I mean Russell's so good he'd probably be a fine defensive SS, but if he's already the best defensive 2B as a rookie is that worth messing with? I feel like sometimes SS is a bit overrated vs second base in terms of that being where your best defender has to play. Maybe ChuckD can show some numbers as to how many runs the best 2B saves each year vs the best SS or whatever.

This. I keep hearing Russell being compared to Barry Larkin, which is fine. But I haven't seen a second baseman like this since Ryno. He's fucking amazing.
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #460 on: July 29, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 29, 2015, 09:15:00 AM

He never gets close to 2500. Here's his hit totals by year:

Total of 937.  If he's the part time player I expect him to be the rest of his career, he caps out at what, 1500? On the high end?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #461 on: July 29, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 29, 2015, 09:31:08 AM

This. I keep hearing Russell being compared to Barry Larkin, which is fine. But I haven't seen a second baseman like this since Ryno. He's fucking amazing.

Well I mean if shortstops really can be worth that much more than second basemen, I get making the switch if you think Addison can be that good over there, but I kinda feel part of that is just the perception of the position. It's like right vs left tackle in the NFL. Every study ever done shows that there's really no real difference between the two and that both need to be good at pass blocking, but teams still pay way more for "left tackles". I'm wondering if SS vs second base is that much of a gap that it's worth messing with what Addison's got going on over there.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #462 on: July 29, 2015, 11:18:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 29, 2015, 09:46:53 AM

Well I mean if shortstops really can be worth that much more than second basemen, I get making the switch if you think Addison can be that good over there, but I kinda feel part of that is just the perception of the position. It's like right vs left tackle in the NFL. Every study ever done shows that there's really no real difference between the two and that both need to be good at pass blocking, but teams still pay way more for "left tackles". I'm wondering if SS vs second base is that much of a gap that it's worth messing with what Addison's got going on over there.

Fucking stop it. Shortstop is a lot more demanding and if the kid has the gun to play the position, you move him. Best 2nd Baseman since Ryno... What in the entire fuck.

If you're confused by this concept, head out to your local dirt lot and have a friend pound grounders to you at both spots and see if even your own beltless ass doesn't get the picture.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #463 on: July 29, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 29, 2015, 11:18:36 AM

Fucking stop it. Shortstop is a lot more demanding and if the kid has the gun to play the position, you move him. Best 2nd Baseman since Ryno... What in the entire fuck.

If you're confused by this concept, head out to your local dirt lot and have a friend pound grounders to you at both spots and see if even your own beltless ass doesn't get the picture.

Well my point is "see if Baez can play SS." I mean from what I saw of him last year and his raw talent Javy doesn't seem to be a slouch there, either. Addison is kicking ass at 2B. If Javy can stick at SS, let Addison stay where he is. If Javy can't be a good SS, then switch 'em. Just give Javy a shot first.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #464 on: July 29, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 29, 2015, 11:39:03 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 29, 2015, 11:18:36 AM

Well my point is "see if Baez can play SS." I mean from what I saw of him last year and his raw talent Javy doesn't seem to be a slouch there, either. Addison is kicking ass at 2B. If Javy can stick at SS, let Addison stay where he is. If Javy can't be a good SS, then switch 'em. Just give Javy a shot first.

They're both shortstops that have mostly played 2B in the majors. Javy was good at 2B, and Addison has been awesome at 2B. Therefore Addison is the better defender, so he should play SS.