News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 129,852 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2016, 01:01:53 AM »
I'm not overly sure Javy will ever be good or great, but I'm rooting like crazy for him.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #751 on: April 27, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »
M'lady.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #752 on: May 02, 2016, 10:25:59 PM »
I fucking love watching him play defense.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #753 on: May 02, 2016, 10:27:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 02, 2016, 10:25:59 PM
I fucking love watching him play defense.

I have no idea how he made this tag.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #754 on: May 03, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
In 2013 Baez made 44 errors and I don't think I was alone in thinking, at the time, that Baez was a power hitter with a questionable glove.  Not having seen him, we could only go off the stats and the stats seemed to indicate that it was his bat that would get him to stick in the bigs.  When he was called up in 2014, however, it didn't take too many games to see the guy had some good hands.  When Castro missed the last month of September, 2014, Baez moved over to the short and over the course of that final month it became clear that he was an above-average defender.  Last year he played multiple infield positions and he was better at those positions than the incumbent.

Coming into this year I was of the opinion that he had the best glove on the team, that he was even a better defensive SS than Russell--who is a legitimate Gold Glove candidate.  I haven't changed my mind.  Over time, I don't suspect that this will remain true as Russell will have had the opportunity to get better and better but there's something about how Baez moves out there that is just enjoyable to watch. That tag last night was sick but it's not the first time he's demonstrated ridiculously quick and fluid hands.  

2 years ago the thought that Baez' glove would be more impressive than his bat would've seemed outlandish--unless it was because his bat was faltering.  But it's not--the dude's actually hitting, but he's a pretty special defensive player, which is a very nice development.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #755 on: May 03, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 03, 2016, 08:26:18 AM
In 2013 Baez made 44 errors and I don't think I was alone in thinking, at the time, that Baez was a power hitter with a questionable glove.  Not having seen him, we could only go off the stats and the stats seemed to indicate that it was his bat that would get him to stick in the bigs.  When he was called up in 2014, however, it didn't take too many games to see the guy had some good hands.  When Castro missed the last month of September, 2014, Baez moved over to the short and over the course of that final month it became clear that he was an above-average defender.  Last year he played multiple infield positions and he was better at those positions than the incumbent.

Coming into this year I was of the opinion that he had the best glove on the team, that he was even a better defensive SS than Russell--who is a legitimate Gold Glove candidate.  I haven't changed my mind.  Over time, I don't suspect that this will remain true as Russell will have had the opportunity to get better and better but there's something about how Baez moves out there that is just enjoyable to watch. That tag last night was sick but it's not the first time he's demonstrated ridiculously quick and fluid hands.  

2 years ago the thought that Baez' glove would be more impressive than his bat would've seemed outlandish--unless it was because his bat was faltering.  But it's not--the dude's actually hitting, but he's a pretty special defensive player, which is a very nice development.

Well if Javy keeps hitting and Jorge keeps not hitting or just not playing I am pretty sure you'll see a lot more of Kris Bryant in LF with Javy at third. That gives the Cubs an almost insanely good left side of the infield defensively.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #756 on: May 03, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »
In 2013 Baez made 44 errors and I don't think I was alone in thinking, at the time, that Baez was a power hitter with a questionable glove.  Not having seen him, we could only go off the stats and the stats seemed to indicate that it was his bat that would get him to stick in the bigs.  When he was called up in 2014, however, it didn't take too many games to see the guy had some good hands.  

I thought it was pretty well documented that his high error counts in the minors were the result of a lot of throwing errors.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #757 on: May 03, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on May 03, 2016, 08:56:24 AM
In 2013 Baez made 44 errors and I don't think I was alone in thinking, at the time, that Baez was a power hitter with a questionable glove.  Not having seen him, we could only go off the stats and the stats seemed to indicate that it was his bat that would get him to stick in the bigs.  When he was called up in 2014, however, it didn't take too many games to see the guy had some good hands.  

I thought it was pretty well documented that his high error counts in the minors were the result of a lot of throwing errors.

That's a lot of throwing errors.  Who was his 1st baseman--Fred McStiff Jr.?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #758 on: May 03, 2016, 09:10:27 AM »

Minor league error totals are usually fairly unreliable. A lot of them are even attributable to poorly kept infields, but yeah, Baez' main issue defensively appears to be thinking he can make every throw. With an arm like that, I don't blame him. He appears to have a better idea of when to reign it in now that he's getting big league coaching though.

Also errors in general aren't a great way to gauge how good a guy is in on defense because a guy that never attempts to actually field anything difficult won't make many (yeah Jeets). Andrelton Simmons made 14 errors in 2014, Jeter made 11. Simmons was worth 28 DRS saved that year, Jeter cost his team 12 runs.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #759 on: May 03, 2016, 09:10:41 AM »

Let's not forget about Javy's baserunning either - he is a menace on the basepaths. He and Bryant are just so much fun to watch in all phases.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #760 on: May 03, 2016, 09:30:25 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 03, 2016, 09:10:27 AM

Minor league error totals are usually fairly unreliable. A lot of them are even attributable to poorly kept infields, but yeah, Baez' main issue defensively appears to be thinking he can make every throw. With an arm like that, I don't blame him. He appears to have a better idea of when to reign it in now that he's getting big league coaching though.

Also errors in general aren't a great way to gauge how good a guy is in on defense because a guy that never attempts to actually field anything difficult won't make many (yeah Jeets). Andrelton Simmons made 14 errors in 2014, Jeter made 11. Simmons was worth 28 DRS saved that year, Jeter cost his team 12 runs.

Yes I understand that errors alone are not the best indicator of a player's defense, but 44 errors is a lot (and since minor league defensive data pales in comparison to the bigs, it's one of the few things to go off of from the comfort of my couch).  Still, though--relative to all of the other infielders who *also* play on shitty minor league infields, it's a lot of errors and if Simmons made 44 errors--regardless of whether or not they we're talking fielding or throwing errors-- I doubt people would point to his range as a factor that minimizes the impact of those 44 errors.  That's a whole game-and--a-half of expected outs, and over the course of a 5 month season to boot.

Obviously, Baez' subsequent play at the major-league level proves that this 44 errors were likely not representative of his defensive acumen but that's only clear to me in retrospect.  At the time, though,  it sure looked like a red flag. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #761 on: May 03, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 03, 2016, 09:30:25 AM

Yes I understand that errors alone are not the best indicator of a player's defense, but 44 errors is a lot (and since minor league defensive data pales in comparison to the bigs, it's one of the few things to go off of from the comfort of my couch).  Still, though--relative to all of the other infielders who *also* play on shitty minor league infields, it's a lot of errors and if Simmons made 44 errors--regardless of whether or not they we're talking fielding or throwing errors-- I doubt people would point to his range as a factor that minimizes the impact of those 44 errors.  That's a whole game-and--a-half of expected outs, and over the course of a 5 month season to boot.

Obviously, Baez' subsequent play at the major-league level proves that this 44 errors were likely not representative of his defensive acumen but that's only clear to me in retrospect.  At the time, though,  it sure looked like a red flag. 

I get your point, but Simmons also made 28 errors during his only full year in the minors. I just treat minor league fielding numbers as bunk and focus on the scouting reports, most of which said he was a pretty good shortstop and probably a great second or third baseman, if I remember.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #762 on: May 03, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 03, 2016, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 03, 2016, 09:30:25 AM

Yes I understand that errors alone are not the best indicator of a player's defense, but 44 errors is a lot (and since minor league defensive data pales in comparison to the bigs, it's one of the few things to go off of from the comfort of my couch).  Still, though--relative to all of the other infielders who *also* play on shitty minor league infields, it's a lot of errors and if Simmons made 44 errors--regardless of whether or not they we're talking fielding or throwing errors-- I doubt people would point to his range as a factor that minimizes the impact of those 44 errors.  That's a whole game-and--a-half of expected outs, and over the course of a 5 month season to boot.

Obviously, Baez' subsequent play at the major-league level proves that this 44 errors were likely not representative of his defensive acumen but that's only clear to me in retrospect.  At the time, though,  it sure looked like a red flag.  

I get your point, but Simmons also made 28 errors during his only full year in the minors. I just treat minor league fielding numbers as bunk and focus on the scouting reports, most of which said he was a pretty good shortstop and probably a great second or third baseman, if I remember.

Fair enough.  Glad I didn't dig a little deeper and look at the scouting reports, which would have deprived me of the PLEASANT SURPRISE that is this bad-ass mofo with the glove.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #763 on: May 03, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 03, 2016, 09:06:39 AM

That's a lot of throwing errors.  Who was his 1st baseman--Fred McStiff Jr.?

Having Anthony Rizzo as a target makes everyone's life a lot easier.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #764 on: May 03, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 03, 2016, 09:10:41 AM
In 2013 Baez made 44 errors and I don't think I was alone in thinking, at the time, that Baez was a power hitter with a questionable glove.  Not having seen him, we could only go off the stats and the stats seemed to indicate that it was his bat that would get him to stick in the bigs.  When he was called up in 2014, however, it didn't take too many games to see the guy had some good hands.  When Castro missed the last month of September, 2014, Baez moved over to the short and over the course of that final month it became clear that he was an above-average defender.  Last year he played multiple infield positions and he was better at those positions than the incumbent.

Coming into this year I was of the opinion that he had the best glove on the team, that he was even a better defensive SS than Russell--who is a legitimate Gold Glove candidate.  I haven't changed my mind.  Over time, I don't suspect that this will remain true as Russell will have had the opportunity to get better and better but there's something about how Baez moves out there that is just enjoyable to watch. That tag last night was sick but it's not the first time he's demonstrated ridiculously quick and fluid hands. 

2 years ago the thought that Baez' glove would be more impressive than his bat would've seemed outlandish--unless it was because his bat was faltering.  But it's not--the dude's actually hitting, but he's a pretty special defensive player, which is a very nice development.

Let's not forget about Javy's baserunning either - he is a menace on the basepaths. He and Bryant are just so much fun to watch in all phases.

I think I watched his slide stealing 2nd from last Tuesday at least 20 times. Best slide since Rizzo's "it's magic" slide going into 3rd from last year.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?