News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,468 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 27, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 27, 2015, 11:00:31 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 10:57:43 AM
Quote from: Slaky on February 27, 2015, 10:54:14 AM
I'm actually somewhat worried Kris Bryant is gonna be not that good in the majors. Anyone else have this fear?

Yes but we don't say it out loud. Certainly the contact issue is one that could mean something very bad or maybe mean nothing. Maybe he continues to get insane quality out of his contact in the majors, maybe he ends up being Mark Reynolds. I don't really see him being bad, but I definitely fear him not being this transcendent franchise cornerstone.

Mark Reynolds never had an OBP as high as Bryant's career marks. This isn't a concern.
Yeah but Bryant will struggle to sustain his OBP in the majors if he's not able to hit .330 while only making contact on 65% of his swings like he did in the minors. Reynolds was an extreme case but my point was I don't see Kris Bryant being bad in the majors. I just also have that dark fear deep in the recesses of my mind honed by years of disappointment that says maybe he's just going to be "okay".
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: February 27, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »
Y'all need to shut your fucking faces.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: February 27, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 11:11:29 AM
I'm actually somewhat worried Kris Bryant is gonna be not that good in the majors. Anyone else have this fear?

Yes but we don't say it out loud. Certainly the contact issue is one that could mean something very bad or maybe mean nothing. Maybe he continues to get insane quality out of his contact in the majors, maybe he ends up being Mark Reynolds. I don't really see him being bad, but I definitely fear him not being this transcendent franchise cornerstone.

Mark Reynolds never had an OBP as high as Bryant's career marks. This isn't a concern.
Yeah but Bryant will struggle to sustain his OBP in the majors if he's not able to hit .330 while only making contact on 65% of his swings like he did in the minors. Reynolds was an extreme case but my point was I don't see Kris Bryant being bad in the majors. I just also have that dark fear deep in the recesses of my mind honed by years of disappointment that says maybe he's just going to be "okay".

I keep hearing that the mitigating circumstances are that he controls the strike zone much better than others who have a similar swing and miss rate.  It's what separates him from Joey Gallo and why he's most likely to be a solid major leaguer, at worst.  At least that's what I hear.  By hear I mean what I say to the mirror every morning.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: February 27, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 27, 2015, 11:22:09 AM

I keep hearing that the mitigating circumstances are that he controls the strike zone much better than others who have a similar swing and miss rate.  It's what separates him from Joey Gallo and why he's most likely to be a solid major leaguer, at worst.  At least that's what I hear.  By hear I mean what I say to the mirror every morning.

Yeah he seems like a very unique case. He doesn't appear to be a free swinger at all. It seems more likely that a guy could develop timing and make better contact if he already has a good handle of the zone than to hope I guy just magically develops plate discipline. I'm not really worried. I'm just willing to admit that fear eats at my very soul because I have known a life of sadness.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 27, 2015, 11:24:32 AM
Quote from: Oleg on February 27, 2015, 11:22:09 AM

Yeah he seems like a very unique case. He doesn't appear to be a free swinger at all. It seems more likely that a guy could develop timing and make better contact if he already has a good handle of the zone than to hope I guy just magically develops plate discipline. I'm not really worried. I'm just willing to admit that fear eats at my very soul because I have known a life of sadness.

Back to Slaky's original question, my answer is, "No."

I feel the same way about Russell and Soler.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: February 27, 2015, 11:52:37 AM »

There are very, very players who ended up stars after putting up contact numbers like that in the minors.

But somehow, no, I'm not actually worried. Maybe that's cognitive dissonance.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: February 27, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 27, 2015, 11:52:37 AM

There are very, very players who ended up stars after putting up contact numbers like that in the minors.

To be fair we only have minor league contact data since, what, 2008? That Fangraphs article used minors stats since 2008, then major league contact rates since 2002. I mean, it's not a good sign, for sure, but who knows what past stars whiffed in the minors and grew to be good. My guess? All of them.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »

There are indeed very, very players.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »

Bryant is more very, very than most though.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 27, 2015, 12:05:17 PM

There are indeed very, very players.

Damn my now-invalid point.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: February 27, 2015, 12:18:31 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on February 26, 2015, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: Eli on February 26, 2015, 12:09:24 PM
Quote from: Oleg on February 26, 2015, 10:51:36 AM
The one thing I got from watching 20 hours per week of MLB Network this winter is that Russell doesn't have the arm to play 3B.

Really? Most scouting reports I've seen on Russell rate his arm somewhere between above-average or plus. And while 3B might require a slightly stronger arm than short, I don't think the difference is all that significant. But if Baez fits better at 3B than Russell, that's fine. I still don't see Bryant sticking at third for more than 3-4 years, if at all. Especially if he can be a good defender in left field, as a lot of people have said.

Of course I've let my BA subscription lapse.  Ugh.

MLB.com rates his arm as a 55.  BP's scouting report rates his arm as a left-side of the infield arm.  Splitting hairs.

I just don't think it matters right now.

Not to derail the certainly riveting discussion I just skipped over, but 55 out of what?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: February 27, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 27, 2015, 12:18:31 PM
The one thing I got from watching 20 hours per week of MLB Network this winter is that Russell doesn't have the arm to play 3B.

Really? Most scouting reports I've seen on Russell rate his arm somewhere between above-average or plus. And while 3B might require a slightly stronger arm than short, I don't think the difference is all that significant. But if Baez fits better at 3B than Russell, that's fine. I still don't see Bryant sticking at third for more than 3-4 years, if at all. Especially if he can be a good defender in left field, as a lot of people have said.

MLB.com rates his arm as a 55.  BP's scouting report rates his arm as a left-side of the infield arm.  Splitting hairs.

Not to derail the certainly riveting discussion I just skipped over, but 55 out of what?

80.  It's the standard rating system for scouts.  Seems to go in 5-point increments.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: February 27, 2015, 12:23:54 PM »

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouting-explained-the-20-80-scouting-scale/

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: February 27, 2015, 12:28:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 27, 2015, 12:23:54 PM

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouting-explained-the-20-80-scouting-scale/

Thank you.

I mean that sincerely.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
My philosophy on all these Cubs prospects is that I'm just some boner who knows very,very about scouting.