News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,539 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #435 on: March 16, 2015, 02:04:51 PM »
Quote from: RW on March 16, 2015, 01:11:14 PM
Quote from: SKO on March 16, 2015, 12:09:00 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2015, 11:35:02 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 16, 2015, 11:01:14 AM
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2015, 10:25:44 AM
Quote from: Eli on March 16, 2015, 09:57:30 AM
Quote from: CBStew on March 16, 2015, 09:19:01 AM
Does anyone really believe that one player would make a significant difference during a 13 day period in April? 

Apparently so.

There are a lot of people pointing to the Braves calling up Jason Heyward in his rookie year and extrapolating that his Opening Day home run is why they made the playoffs by a single game (which is quite a stretch for a number of reasons, not the least of which is they won on that game by 11 runs).

Those people also ignore that he's no longer a Brave after they traded him due to his impending free agency. Which, of course, came a year earlier than it could have.

The Braves were a playoff contender both before and during Heyward's rookie season. The Cubs could possibly contend this year, but they'd need to have pretty much everything go right for that to happen. Not to mention, we saw the Cubs do this exact same thing with Baez last season, and with Rizzo a few years ago. And Rizzo got extended before he even became arbitration eligible. There's no reason to believe the Cubs won't do the same thing with Bryant if he proves to be the real deal.

In the 18 days that Bryant would be cooling his heels, there are only three games that could have significant downstream impact, the three against the Cardinals to open the season. Cubs are better off sticking to the plan.

I don't think there's even a remote similarity between how Baez and Rizzo were handled and how Bryant is being handled. Javy was called up once he hit their threshold for AAA AB's and he'd overcome his early season awfulness. Rizzo was also called up once he had enough seasoning AAA they felt he could be called up and not repeat the struggles of his first call up with the Padres.

Bryant has already got a half season at AAA. This is solely about control, not development, so yeah, that comparison sucks.

Also the extensions Rizzo and Castro signed are irrelevant as well, because the main reason control IS so important with Bryant is because Boras is his agent and he is extremely unlikely to sign an extension that may lead to him getting paid below market value.

Rizzo absolutely destroyed AAA pitching the year before the Cubs got him. And Baez could have just as easily been brought up last spring, he had a good camp.

As for Boras being Bryant's agent, he and Jepstink know the deal. If Bryant is the real McCoy, the Cubs will offer a deal that gives him more upfront dough in exchange for a few years of free agency, like they did with Castro and Rizzo. It's not like Theo's exactly a babe in the woods.

Find me a list of Boras clients who have allowed teams to buy them out of free agency in exchange for team friendly extensions. I'll wait.

Elvis Andrus and Carlos Gonzalez.

Also who the hell are you? I thought by now Andy'd put Desipio on the Augusta Rules for new membership.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #436 on: March 16, 2015, 02:12:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 16, 2015, 02:04:51 PM
Does anyone really believe that one player would make a significant difference during a 13 day period in April?

Apparently so.

There are a lot of people pointing to the Braves calling up Jason Heyward in his rookie year and extrapolating that his Opening Day home run is why they made the playoffs by a single game (which is quite a stretch for a number of reasons, not the least of which is they won on that game by 11 runs).

Those people also ignore that he's no longer a Brave after they traded him due to his impending free agency. Which, of course, came a year earlier than it could have.

The Braves were a playoff contender both before and during Heyward's rookie season. The Cubs could possibly contend this year, but they'd need to have pretty much everything go right for that to happen. Not to mention, we saw the Cubs do this exact same thing with Baez last season, and with Rizzo a few years ago. And Rizzo got extended before he even became arbitration eligible. There's no reason to believe the Cubs won't do the same thing with Bryant if he proves to be the real deal.

In the 18 days that Bryant would be cooling his heels, there are only three games that could have significant downstream impact, the three against the Cardinals to open the season. Cubs are better off sticking to the plan.

I don't think there's even a remote similarity between how Baez and Rizzo were handled and how Bryant is being handled. Javy was called up once he hit their threshold for AAA AB's and he'd overcome his early season awfulness. Rizzo was also called up once he had enough seasoning AAA they felt he could be called up and not repeat the struggles of his first call up with the Padres.

Bryant has already got a half season at AAA. This is solely about control, not development, so yeah, that comparison sucks.

Also the extensions Rizzo and Castro signed are irrelevant as well, because the main reason control IS so important with Bryant is because Boras is his agent and he is extremely unlikely to sign an extension that may lead to him getting paid below market value.

Rizzo absolutely destroyed AAA pitching the year before the Cubs got him. And Baez could have just as easily been brought up last spring, he had a good camp.

As for Boras being Bryant's agent, he and Jepstink know the deal. If Bryant is the real McCoy, the Cubs will offer a deal that gives him more upfront dough in exchange for a few years of free agency, like they did with Castro and Rizzo. It's not like Theo's exactly a babe in the woods.

Find me a list of Boras clients who have allowed teams to buy them out of free agency in exchange for team friendly extensions. I'll wait.

Also who the hell are you? I thought by now Andy'd put Desipio on the Augusta Rules for new membership.

He's (another) guy making you look stupid.

I say he stays!
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 16, 2015, 02:12:05 PM

Apparently so.

I say he stays!

In my defense I was fairly sure there was at least one. I just knew the list was small enough compared to the number of Boras clients overall that it still, as Huey said, proves the point that there's just not a high probability of Bryant being extended before FA.

Also I meant no disrespect to new guy. I was just legitimately floored to see a new guy.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 16, 2015, 02:39:29 PM

Also I meant no disrespect to new guy. I was just legitimately floored to see a new guy.

RW has been around since 2007. NOW WHO'S THE NEW GUY?!?!?!?!?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2015, 02:43:39 PM »

Apparently so.

I say he stays!

In my defense I was fairly sure there was at least one. I just knew the list was small enough compared to the number of Boras clients overall that it still, as Huey said, proves the point that there's just not a high probability of Bryant being extended before FA.

There are no new guys.  RW's been around a while, longtime lurker.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2015, 02:44:02 PM »
Man, Oleg just NOTANEWGUYFACED me.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #441 on: March 16, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 16, 2015, 02:44:02 PM

But, I'm not sure if he's a LOCAL GUY.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 16, 2015, 02:43:20 PM

RW has been around since 2007. NOW WHO'S THE NEW GUY?!?!?!?!?

You've got me. I have attempted to lure him out of hiding so that I may kill him the way I dispatched MGRW and Bocaj in order to forever secure my place as Newest Desipiot, and unless you want to end up like Gil Gunderson I suggest you get out of my way.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 16, 2015, 02:45:24 PM

I honestly remember him being in or from Australia.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 16, 2015, 03:03:43 PM
Quote from: Oleg on March 16, 2015, 02:45:24 PM

I honestly remember him being in or from Australia.

You're thinking of RD. Or Tonker.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2015, 03:36:56 PM »

Apparently so.

I say he stays!

It's Boras' job to get Bryant what he wants, whether it's top dollar or to stay in Chicago. But the fact of the matter is that we're worrying about something that might never be an issue, considering there's a lot of road between here and there, and there's no guarantee Jepstink or Boras will be part of what happens at the other end.

But I do guarantee that Boras and Jepstink have discussed this. Otherwise, they'd all suck at their jobs a lot more than we think they do.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #446 on: March 16, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2015, 03:36:56 PM
It's Boras' job to get Bryant what he wants, whether it's top dollar or to stay in Chicago. But the fact of the matter is that we're worrying about something that might never be an issue, considering there's a lot of road between here and there, and there's no guarantee Jepstink or Boras will be part of what happens at the other end.

But I do guarantee that Boras and Jepstink have discussed this. Otherwise, they'd all suck at their jobs a lot more than we think they do.

No one's saying they haven't discussed this, we're all saying they've discussed it and determined that the history of Boras clients suggests that there's about a 90% chance he will want to hit the market and test the waters of free agency to get the most money, so the smart move is to get that extra year of control.

Your original statement was the Bryant sitaution was like Rizzo/Baez and Boras isn't really a consideration, which the rest of us think is bullshit.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #447 on: March 16, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 16, 2015, 02:43:39 PM

Apparently so.

I say he stays!

There are no new guys.  RW's been around a while, longtime lurker.

Show some respect for a Chicago legend, people.

You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #448 on: March 16, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on March 16, 2015, 03:54:48 PM
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2015, 03:36:56 PM

No one's saying they haven't discussed this, we're all saying they've discussed it and determined that the history of Boras clients suggests that there's about a 90% chance he will want to hit the market and test the waters of free agency to get the most money, so the smart move is to get that extra year of control.

Your original statement was the Bryant sitaution was like Rizzo/Baez and Boras isn't really a consideration, which the rest of us think is bullshit.

I don;'t think it's nearly as much of one as everyone else thinks. If Bryant winds up being the best thing before and since sliced bread, and the Cubs presumably launching their own television network somewhere between here and there, then why wouldn't the Cubs give him his next contract? Both Rizzo and Castro would certainly be able to make more money had they not extended and went through to free agency, but we're also all assuming that Bryant won't want to stay here. In the final analysis, what happens to Kris Bryant is dependent on Kris Bryant.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #449 on: March 16, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 16, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
why wouldn't the Cubs give him his next contract? Both Rizzo and Castro would certainly be able to make more money had they not extended and went through to free agency, but we're also all assuming that Bryant won't want to stay here. In the final analysis, what happens to Kris Bryant is dependent on Kris Bryant.

They would. But the Boras history says that A) the bulk of guys don't sign early; and B) those that don't leave.  While I have seen a few names of guys who signed early extensions, I have yet to see the name of a Boras client that reached free agency that stayed with his original team.