News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,470 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #780 on: May 11, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 11, 2015, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 11, 2015, 11:22:29 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 11, 2015, 10:49:58 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 11, 2015, 10:26:29 AM
Are strikeouts bad, per se?

With men on base, they certainly can be. The only plate appearance outcome worse than a K with men on base is a double play.

You're not even giving yourself a chance on the BABIP roulette wheel. You're not causing your opponent to make a play on a ball he might muff. I've always been confounded by K's are any other out argument. An at bat against Matt Carpenter is more stressful than at bat against Kris Bryant right now and that has an effect mentally on a pitcher to the point that he might make a mistake in the zone and get hurt badly.

Are you trying to say that a pitcher, regardless of situation, would rather face Reggie Jackson (~23% strikeout %) than Lance Johnson (~7% strikeout %) because he may make a mistake to Lance Johnson?  Or that a Lance Johnson AB would be more stressful than an AB against Reggie Jackson?

By the way, Matt Murton's K rate was ~14%...if you were pitching, whom would you rather face?

Nosir. I'm saying he'd rather face Kris Bryant than Matt Carpenter. Today.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #781 on: May 11, 2015, 12:40:26 PM »
If only guys ever got better after less than an entire month in the majors but dammit,  here we are, I guess.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #782 on: May 11, 2015, 02:04:58 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 11, 2015, 12:29:57 PM

With men on base, they certainly can be. The only plate appearance outcome worse than a K with men on base is a double play.

You're not even giving yourself a chance on the BABIP roulette wheel. You're not causing your opponent to make a play on a ball he might muff. I've always been confounded by K's are any other out argument. An at bat against Matt Carpenter is more stressful than at bat against Kris Bryant right now and that has an effect mentally on a pitcher to the point that he might make a mistake in the zone and get hurt badly.

Are you trying to say that a pitcher, regardless of situation, would rather face Reggie Jackson (~23% strikeout %) than Lance Johnson (~7% strikeout %) because he may make a mistake to Lance Johnson?  Or that a Lance Johnson AB would be more stressful than an AB against Reggie Jackson?

By the way, Matt Murton's K rate was ~14%...if you were pitching, whom would you rather face?

Well Carpenter has extreme fatigue syndrome TODAY and isn't even able to get out of bed so that's dumb. It'd be easy to strike out a guy who's in bed.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #783 on: May 11, 2015, 02:17:20 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 11, 2015, 02:04:58 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 11, 2015, 12:29:57 PM

Well Carpenter has extreme fatigue syndrome TODAY and isn't even able to get out of bed so that's dumb. It'd be easy to strike out a guy who's in bed.

I think that might pose a problem if the pitcher in question were, say, Edwin jackson.

Boom.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #784 on: May 11, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
Swoon
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #785 on: May 12, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
I love this motherfucker.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #786 on: May 12, 2015, 09:56:58 PM »

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #789 on: May 13, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
I changed my pants many times last night watching Bryant blast balls all over Wrigley, but him beating out a routine ground ball to 3B is what makes me want to have his children. The dude is 6'5"...there are lesser prospects that loaf that into an out. I'm not going to get all "he plays the game the right way" on us, but I definitely appreciate that kind of effort especially when it earns the Cubs a baserunner.

This guy is just really good at baseball.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #790 on: May 13, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »
So much to choose from, but I think the triple tingled me the most. Like Len said, that kind of ball does not typically go off the wall. He nearly missed a HR there.

*changes undergarments*

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #791 on: May 13, 2015, 08:18:03 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 13, 2015, 07:45:53 AM
I changed my pants many times last night watching Bryant blast balls all over Wrigley, but him beating out a routine ground ball to 3B is what makes me want to have his children. The dude is 6'5"...there are lesser prospects that loaf that into an out. I'm not going to get all "he plays the game the right way" on us, but I definitely appreciate that kind of effort especially when it earns the Cubs a baserunner.

This guy is just really good at baseball.

Him beating out the grounder also led to Syndegaaaaard throwing 18 more pitches than he otherwise would have in the 3rd inning.  Nice play.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #793 on: May 13, 2015, 09:22:33 AM »
His swing is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.  I want to shower with him.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #794 on: May 13, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
I liked the home run the best. The single and the walk, while nice and gritty and all were just good for one base apiece. The triple showed moxie and that was a cool-looking headfirst dive into 3rd where he was eventually stranded. But on the home run, he got four bases, including home plate which counted for a run.

That was my best bit right there.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.