News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread  ( 138,558 )

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Kris Bryant Firehose of Splooge Thread
« Reply #885 on: July 23, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2015, 12:04:08 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on July 23, 2015, 11:33:28 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 23, 2015, 11:12:46 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 23, 2015, 10:33:20 AM
My homie Bryant has been having a tough go lately, but a timely single yesterday and some more contact during both games yesterday hopefully means some obliterated baseballs in the future.

By the way, does anyone else notice that Bryant gives the best AB's along with Rizzo in the lineup? I feel like, maybe even to his own detriment, that Bryant more often than not falls behind in the count only to battle back to 3-2...and he does it a lot. I don't have data or really know how to look that up (it's probably not hard, I'm just lazy)...but it FEELS like it...nah mean?

ETA: What I mean by "his own detriment" is that it feels like he misses a lot of hittable pitches early in counts...he'll get a 2-1 FB right where he wants it only to foul it off. He will make it rain baseballs soon my friends.

That's usually the sign of a guy who is overthinking. If that's the case, I'm sure someone will get him out of his own head pretty soon.

The problem could actually be mechanical. Coomer (I know, I know) pointed out that his head is coming off the ball on a lot of hittable fastballs. Someone asked Maddon about that very thing and he said it might be fatigue-related, which is possible. If a guy is tired, his mechanics can get screwed up.

I think there's some truth to this. Dude just looks tired sometimes. Another reason why it would be nice if Mike Olt or Mendy could have gotten their shit together or La Stella hadn't died. Really hard to give Bryant a true breather if the replacement is Jonathan Herrera and you're struggling to score runs.

Okay, am I really going to be the asshole that sticks up for Jonathan Herrera here?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #886 on: July 23, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 23, 2015, 02:16:21 PM
My homie Bryant has been having a tough go lately, but a timely single yesterday and some more contact during both games yesterday hopefully means some obliterated baseballs in the future.

By the way, does anyone else notice that Bryant gives the best AB's along with Rizzo in the lineup? I feel like, maybe even to his own detriment, that Bryant more often than not falls behind in the count only to battle back to 3-2...and he does it a lot. I don't have data or really know how to look that up (it's probably not hard, I'm just lazy)...but it FEELS like it...nah mean?

ETA: What I mean by "his own detriment" is that it feels like he misses a lot of hittable pitches early in counts...he'll get a 2-1 FB right where he wants it only to foul it off. He will make it rain baseballs soon my friends.

That's usually the sign of a guy who is overthinking. If that's the case, I'm sure someone will get him out of his own head pretty soon.

The problem could actually be mechanical. Coomer (I know, I know) pointed out that his head is coming off the ball on a lot of hittable fastballs. Someone asked Maddon about that very thing and he said it might be fatigue-related, which is possible. If a guy is tired, his mechanics can get screwed up.

I think there's some truth to this. Dude just looks tired sometimes. Another reason why it would be nice if Mike Olt or Mendy could have gotten their shit together or La Stella hadn't died. Really hard to give Bryant a true breather if the replacement is Jonathan Herrera and you're struggling to score runs.

Okay, am I really going to be the asshole that sticks up for Jonathan Herrera here?

What do you mean by stick up for him? He's not a good baseball player. He's gotten some hits lately, but he's still a sub replacement level player (-0.2 bWAR, even with his recent hot streak). If the team was scoring 6 runs a game you'd live with giving him spot starts over Bryant. When you can't score, it's pretty hard to put him in for Kris Bryant, even if Bryant needs it.

Would have been nice for either if Olt could have at least hit enough to combine with his raw power and good defense at third to make him a viable spot starter for Bryant.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #887 on: July 23, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2015, 02:21:33 PM

What do you mean by stick up for him? He's not a good baseball player. He's gotten some hits lately, but he's still a sub replacement level player (-0.2 bWAR, even with his recent hot streak). If the team was scoring 6 runs a game you'd live with giving him spot starts over Bryant. When you can't score, it's pretty hard to put him in for Kris Bryant, even if Bryant needs it.

Would have been nice for either if Olt could have at least hit enough to combine with his raw power and good defense at third to make him a viable spot starter for Bryant.

I'm not arguing Herrera long term, here, but I think we can't just gloss over the fact that Herrera has played and hit well when he's filled in.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #888 on: July 23, 2015, 02:33:30 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 23, 2015, 02:26:47 PM
Quote from: SKO on July 23, 2015, 02:21:33 PM

I'm not arguing Herrera long term, here, but I think we can't just gloss over the fact that Herrera has played and hit well when he's filled in.

He's had a nice July (although in the last week he's at .231/.231/.308/.538), but the rest of the year he was abysmal, and has been his entire career. He's bad at baseball, and everything about his career suggests that he's far more likely to go 0-4 any time you stick him in as a starter than he is to keep hitting like he did during a two week hot streak. For a team that's struggling to score runs like the Cubs, with a slim lead in the wild card, it's hard for Joe to give a scrub like Herrera even the occasional start over Bryant, even if it's what would be best for Bryant and, long term, best for the team. He tried to do it last night and yanked Herrera for Bryant the second Bryant had a chance to provide some offense.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #889 on: July 23, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »
The short answer to IAN's question is "Yes, apparently you are."
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #890 on: July 24, 2015, 03:53:51 PM »
TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF DONG
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #891 on: July 26, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 23, 2015, 12:12:20 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 23, 2015, 11:58:10 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 23, 2015, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 23, 2015, 11:27:04 AM

According to my source (Dan Bernstein), Kris has been out drinking late too many times. I'd say that explains everything. Kids, man.

They don't make them like *Mickey Mantle any more.

* The All-American Boy

For starters, I thought Bryant didn't drink.  Or is that just a lie?  Or did he start drinking and just can't handle it?

For another, not to go all Fork-with-an-ACL-tear but I used to play on a Sunday morning softball team when I was in my 20's and used to have my best games after a long night of boozing.  Conversely, when I would stay in and rest up--like before a playoff game--I never played as well. Couldn't really explain it other than when you're fatigued and hungover you think less and react more.  I dunno.  I think even if you're a lightweight, as long as you're in your 20's, being hungover shouldn't really effect your play, unless you have the shits or something.

In short, I think this suggestion is as wrong as it is malicious.  Knock it off, fucksticks.  All players struggle, even exceptional rookies.

Waitwaitwait.

Huey makes this hilarious comparison between his boozing/softball antics and those of a major league baseball player and not one of you says a fucking thing?

I mean COME ON.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #892 on: July 26, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »
Quote from: CT III on July 26, 2015, 10:50:01 AM
Quote from: PANK! on July 23, 2015, 12:12:20 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on July 23, 2015, 11:58:10 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 23, 2015, 11:36:02 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 23, 2015, 11:27:04 AM

According to my source (Dan Bernstein), Kris has been out drinking late too many times. I'd say that explains everything. Kids, man.

They don't make them like *Mickey Mantle any more.

* The All-American Boy

For starters, I thought Bryant didn't drink.  Or is that just a lie?  Or did he start drinking and just can't handle it?

For another, not to go all Fork-with-an-ACL-tear but I used to play on a Sunday morning softball team when I was in my 20's and used to have my best games after a long night of boozing.  Conversely, when I would stay in and rest up--like before a playoff game--I never played as well. Couldn't really explain it other than when you're fatigued and hungover you think less and react more.  I dunno.  I think even if you're a lightweight, as long as you're in your 20's, being hungover shouldn't really effect your play, unless you have the shits or something.

In short, I think this suggestion is as wrong as it is malicious.  Knock it off, fucksticks.  All players struggle, even exceptional rookies.

Waitwaitwait.

Huey makes this hilarious comparison between his boozing/softball antics and those of a major league baseball player and not one of you says a fucking thing?

I mean COME ON.

We were waiting for you

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #893 on: July 27, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »
Booze away Kris, booze away.

Or is this not the message we want to send to walkoff hitting kids?
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #894 on: July 27, 2015, 10:48:29 PM »
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmppppppppp

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #895 on: July 27, 2015, 10:49:01 PM »
BOOM
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #896 on: August 02, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »
Uh-oh.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #897 on: August 02, 2015, 04:52:25 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 02, 2015, 03:09:34 PM
Uh-oh.

No concussion. Hopefully back in tomorrow

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #898 on: August 02, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 02, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
Uh-oh.

Hopefully.  It looked really bad the way he reacted.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #899 on: August 02, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 02, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
Uh-oh.

Hope not. Glad they took him out - that was the right thing to do.

Need him against Pittsburgh. This series is going to be something.