News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Stench of Honolulu  ( 7,907 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Stench of Honolulu
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
Has anyone read this?

It's the first book from Jack Handey (yes, that guy) and all I read about was how amazingly funny it is.

Well, I'm on Page 18 (and there are about 14 words/page, so I'm basically 2 minutes in) and it's incredibly fucking stupid.

"I recently humiliated myself in the prestigious Pump Room restaurant by laughing out loud, to the point of tears, while reading The Stench of Honolulu. Jack Handey is the funniest writer in America. And his funny is a very particular, sublime, kind of funny-it builds and builds and is related to his supreme control of language. It is witty, minimal, subversive and also strangely sweet. Read this book, and you will feel better, period."
--George Saunders, New York Times bestselling author of Tenth of December, to the New York Post.

"A clever, absurd and fantastical adventure that could only have sprung from the hilarious-slash-lunatic mind of Jack Handey."
--Jimmy Fallon

"This book is a joy. I laughed out loud on every page. Jack Handey is hilarious, brilliant, and original--a law unto himself."
--Ian Frazier, author of Travels in Siberia

Just wondering if anyone knows if it actually gets funny or if I just don't get it.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.