News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Let's Play 2 and Kill 25!  ( 1,173 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Let's Play 2 and Kill 25!
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:48:06 AM »
Ernie Banks should take part in the death pool. He recommends picking Craig Lefferts, Terry Kennedy, Graig Nettles and Steve Garvey next year.

QuoteIn the article, author Rich Cohen asks Banks if there is anything good about losing, apparently bringing up the Cubs' loss to the Padres in the 1984 National League Championship Series after winning the first two games.

"Yeah, well most of the players for the San Diego Padres died," Banks said. "And most of the players for the Cubs are still alive, so I take that and say 'Winning creates so much stress in the lives of players.' "

Cohen said Wednesday that the interview took place in spring, well before Gwynn's death on June 16th.

Gwynn, the star of the '84 Padres, died of oral cancer, a disease he attributed to his longtime habit of chewing tobacco. Two other members of the '84 Padres also suffered tragic deaths in the 1990s. Infielder Alan Wiggins died of complications caused by AIDS, while pitcher Eric Show died of an apparent heart attack after checking into a drug and alcohol treatment center and stating he'd ingested cocaine and heroin while consuming alcohol.

A news release on the feature from Sports Illustrated incorrectly referred to the passage, saying "Banks comically replied that all the San Diego Padres, the Cubs victors in the '69 World Series, are dead while the Cubs are still alive, noted by Banks to mean 'winning creates so much stress in the lives of players' that it literally takes a toll on their life."

The Cubs have not been to a World Series since 1945, and could not play San Diego in a World Series since they both play in the National League. They lost an NL East Division title to the New York Mets in 1969 in a late-season collapse.

Well, a few '69 Mets are dead too:

Donn Clendenon
Tommie Agee
Tug McGraw
Don Cardwell
Cal Koonce

And Willie Stargell, another villain in 1969? Dead!