News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Better Call Saul  ( 41,610 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2015, 11:22:27 PM »
Tonight's episode blew me away.  The McGill brothers were really talking law.  Actual statutes.  Accurate citations.  It all made sense.  Yet it was entertaining, at least to me. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 23, 2015, 11:22:27 PM
Tonight's episode blew me away.  The McGill brothers were really talking law.  Actual statutes.  Accurate citations.  It all made sense.  Yet it was entertaining, at least to me. 

That's cool. I was thinking it was kind of boring but if you're saying that was all worth listening to I'm willing to just relax and enjoy it. I didn't hate it but I wondered if people were going to crap all over it because nobody had their legs snapped in the desert or something. Jimmy actually used to be a semi-likable person.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 24, 2015, 09:59:00 AM

That's cool. I was thinking it was kind of boring but if you're saying that was all worth listening to I'm willing to just relax and enjoy it. I didn't hate it but I wondered if people were going to crap all over it because nobody had their legs snapped in the desert or something. Jimmy actually used to be a semi-likable person.

I really enjoyed the episode. This show doesn't really fit into a single genre or style and I like that. I can tune in knowing I might have my anus clenched for 45 minutes or I might be absolutely crushed by a Jonathan Banks performance or I might just have a few laughs and all of the above are fine with me.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 24, 2015, 09:59:00 AM

He'd know better, but Stew's right, for whatever my opinion's worth.  The legal stuff was pretty good, much better than most on TV.  I studied RICO over the summer so that was nice, although it's odd they're sending demand letters and talking settlement figures with opposing counsel without any apparent client consultation whatsoever.  Edit: Rewatched, I guess he did talk to them a little in the home before they started keeping him out.  Still though.  I haven't looked up the cases they cited on Westlaw (and it would be Westlaw back then, not WestlawNext), but my guess is they'd check out.  Tip: Burn documents, never shred, when Chuck is around. 

It was really fun to see the McGills team up.  It'll make the inevitable disaster that much more depressing.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 07:17:49 AM »
I probably should have seen that coming last episode, but Patrick Fabian does such a good job playing a smug douche, I figured it had to be him.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on March 31, 2015, 07:17:49 AM
I probably should have seen that coming last episode, but Patrick Fabian does such a good job playing a smug douche, I figured it had to be him.

Did not care for that plot twist. After they spent a couple of episodes making us feel sorry for Jimmy and Chuck, they turn Chuck into a villain. I was sure he was going to drop dead before Jimmy had time to cash in and that would have been a respectable if predictable heart string to tug on. This was unnecessary sudden character movement. That shit where the person you've just invested a bunch of time and emotional capital in turns out to be somebody completely different is the stuff of lazy network procedure dramas. On Breaking Bad people were who they were. We knew who the heroes and villains were and the people on the show didn't. That was the show. This is off by a mile. When and if I go back someday to re-watch, I'm going to have to fast forward through all the Chuck/Jimmy stuff, which is half the season.

The Mike stuff though? Fuck and yes.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 01:42:39 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 31, 2015, 09:53:12 AM

Did not care for that plot twist. After they spent a couple of episodes making us feel sorry for Jimmy and Chuck, they turn Chuck into a villain. I was sure he was going to drop dead before Jimmy had time to cash in and that would have been a respectable if predictable heart string to tug on. This was unnecessary sudden character movement. That shit where the person you've just invested a bunch of time and emotional capital in turns out to be somebody completely different is the stuff of lazy network procedure dramas. On Breaking Bad people were who they were. We knew who the heroes and villains were and the people on the show didn't. That was the show. This is off by a mile. When and if I go back someday to re-watch, I'm going to have to fast forward through all the Chuck/Jimmy stuff, which is half the season.

They hinted at it when Chuck wasn't very excited about Jimmy passing the bar. I figured Howard was going to steal the case from Jimmy, and Chuck would side with him against his brother. Having Chuck be bad isn't that far out of left field.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
Quote from: Tony on March 31, 2015, 01:42:39 PM

They hinted at it when Chuck wasn't very excited about Jimmy passing the bar. I figured Howard was going to steal the case from Jimmy, and Chuck would side with him against his brother. Having Chuck be bad isn't that far out of left field.

I guess you're right. That helps somewhat.

And it stands to reason that he felt sorry for Jimmy and tried to get the case over to HHM so Jimmy could see some profits without getting heavily involved. And it stands to reason that he knows what Jimmy is capable of and would rather spare the world from the menace that will be Saul Goodman. The speech about "YOU'RE NOT A REAL LAWYER!!" was just a little bit flat for me.

But the Mike stuff though? Oh, dear.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 31, 2015, 03:57:55 PM

And it stands to reason that he felt sorry for Jimmy and tried to get the case over to HHM so Jimmy could see some profits without getting heavily involved. And it stands to reason that he knows what Jimmy is capable of and would rather spare the world from the menace that will be Saul Goodman. The speech about "YOU'RE NOT A REAL LAWYER!!" was just a little bit flat for me.

The Mike stuff has been great. It's like two prequels in one.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »

"Agoraphobia (ag-uh-ruh-FOE-be-uh) is a type of anxiety disorder in which you fear and often avoid places or situations that might cause you to panic and make you feel trapped, helpless or embarrassed.

With agoraphobia, you fear an actual or anticipated situation, such as using public transportation, being in open or enclosed spaces, standing in line or being in a crowd. The anxiety is caused by fear that there's no easy way to escape or seek help if intense anxiety develops. Most people who have agoraphobia develop it after having one or more panic attacks, causing them to fear another attack and avoid the place where it occurred.

People with agoraphobia often have a hard time feeling safe in any public place, especially where crowds gather."
I respectfully disagree with the characterization of Chuck as a bad person.  I think that they have made him into a very sympathetic character.  His is obviously emotionally disturbed.   One of the certainties in his life, his superiority over his brother, is evaporating and he can't handle it.  I don't blame Jimmy for finally severing the relationship, he is not Mother Teresa or Ghandi, and doesn't have to suffer abuse.   But a third person can see that Chuck can't help himself.

Side note.  As a mostly plaintiff's lawyer for the last 55 years I will attest to the validity of the script when it comes to Jimmy's class action.  I am constantly impressed by this aspect of this show.  I refuse, on principle, to watch Lawyer's TV shows because the requisites of a one hour TV drama make a hash out of the depiction of the practice of law.  That is not true about this show.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 02, 2015, 01:59:47 PM

"Agoraphobia (ag-uh-ruh-FOE-be-uh) is a type of anxiety disorder in which you fear and often avoid places or situations that might cause you to panic and make you feel trapped, helpless or embarrassed.

With agoraphobia, you fear an actual or anticipated situation, such as using public transportation, being in open or enclosed spaces, standing in line or being in a crowd. The anxiety is caused by fear that there's no easy way to escape or seek help if intense anxiety develops. Most people who have agoraphobia develop it after having one or more panic attacks, causing them to fear another attack and avoid the place where it occurred.

People with agoraphobia often have a hard time feeling safe in any public place, especially where crowds gather."
I respectfully disagree with the characterization of Chuck as a bad person.  I think that they have made him into a very sympathetic character.  His is obviously emotionally disturbed.   One of the certainties in his life, his superiority over his brother, is evaporating and he can't handle it.  I don't blame Jimmy for finally severing the relationship, he is not Mother Teresa or Ghandi, and doesn't have to suffer abuse.   But a third person can see that Chuck can't help himself.

Side note.  As a mostly plaintiff's lawyer for the last 55 years I will attest to the validity of the script when it comes to Jimmy's class action.  I am constantly impressed by this aspect of this show.  I refuse, on principle, to watch Lawyer's TV shows because the requisites of a one hour TV drama make a hash out of the depiction of the practice of law.  That is not true about this show.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, 'A Lawyer Watches Better Call Saul.' Seriously.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »
I can't freaking wait for this. Expectations are almost too high, but if there's one person I trust with them it's Vince Gilligan.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2016, 11:59:29 PM »
Good start to season two. Welcome back, Jimmy.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 01:48:29 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 16, 2016, 11:59:29 PM
Good start to season two. Welcome back, Jimmy.

And welcome back "KEN WINS." That was great.