News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Addison Russell's Barry Larkin-esque 2040 HOF Primer Thread  ( 51,593 )

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Addison Russell's Barry Larkin-esque 2040 HOF Primer Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 01, 2015, 10:49:05 AM
I still don't understand how this guy was ever traded. I know what Billy Beane was thinking. I know what positon the A's were in last year. I still can't believe someone traded this dude at 20 years old. He's now got a 101 OPS plus as a 21 year old rookie. In May he hit .273/.321/.485/.806. He's on pace for a 5+ WAR season.

AS A 21 YEAR OLD ROOKIE.

That trade was such a steal I sometimes just think of it randomly and laugh maniacally.

Think of it as repayment for Josh Donaldson.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 01, 2015, 10:55:17 AM
Quote from: SKO on June 01, 2015, 10:49:05 AM
He's on pace for a 5+ WAR season.

Holy shit, he is. Another few weeks of this and he'll be 3rd on the Cubs in WAR (just a bit behind Montero and Fowler), despite giving everyone else nearly a month's head start.

And he's just ahead of Chris Coghlan, who is ahead of Jorge Soler, largely due to his 2.4 dWAR. I...this world makes no sense anymore. No sense. Clutch Coghlan Forever.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »
I think this dude is okay at the playing of the baseball. Just my hot take.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2015, 08:48:10 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 05, 2015, 09:01:03 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on May 05, 2015, 08:56:00 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 01, 2015, 02:13:51 PM
So, Addison Russell hits his first second MLB HR before Kris Bryant hits his first.

Who saw that coming? Russell also has a 7 game hitting streak going -- so there's that. But the 20:1 K:BB ratio is definitely a bad look.

I'm starting to understand that his numbers will probably not look too good this year, but the experience will reward him ten-fold in future years, and he can still be expected to do things that help them win now from time to time.  He's one of the guys who's expanding the strike zone on those breaking balls in the dirt, but I don't expect that to be a long-term habit.  He's then youngest player in the league right?  

I stand by my HOT TAEK.  The kid's had so many big hits for a rookie in spite of his numbers not exactly demonstrating high-caliber production.  The numbers will come; in the meantime, he has been a perfectly fine contributor to the team with the 6th best record in baseball currently.  His defensive play has been as good as I had hoped for also.  Yay Addison.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2015, 09:05:18 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 18, 2015, 08:48:10 AM
So, Addison Russell hits his first second MLB HR before Kris Bryant hits his first.

Who saw that coming? Russell also has a 7 game hitting streak going -- so there's that. But the 20:1 K:BB ratio is definitely a bad look.

I'm starting to understand that his numbers will probably not look too good this year, but the experience will reward him ten-fold in future years, and he can still be expected to do things that help them win now from time to time.  He's one of the guys who's expanding the strike zone on those breaking balls in the dirt, but I don't expect that to be a long-term habit.  He's then youngest player in the league right?  

I stand by my HOT TAEK.  The kid's had so many big hits for a rookie in spite of his numbers not exactly demonstrating high-caliber production.  The numbers will come; in the meantime, he has been a perfectly fine contributor to the team with the 6th best record in baseball currently.  His defensive play has been as good as I had hoped for also.  Yay Addison.

On a per-game basis, he's been the best defensive second baseman in baseball. Perfect example of the numbers bearing out what we see.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2015, 09:07:41 AM »

I stand by my HOT TAEK.  The kid's had so many big hits for a rookie in spite of his numbers not exactly demonstrating high-caliber production.  The numbers will come; in the meantime, he has been a perfectly fine contributor to the team with the 6th best record in baseball currently.  His defensive play has been as good as I had hoped for also.  Yay Addison.

He's got a 103 OPS+ as a rookie. He posted an OPS of .806 in May and is at .741 so far in June, both of which are very good for a second baseman of any age or experience level these days. I think there's a pretty solid chance his offensive numbers actually might end up looking pretty good. To say nothing of him being, as Eli noted on twitter a while back, one of the best defensive 2B in the league in terms of WAR on a per game basis. He's still on pace for about 5 WAR as a fucking 21 year old rookie. *cackles maniacally*

EDITED: or as Eli noted right before I hit post. Goddammit.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 18, 2015, 09:07:41 AM

I stand by my HOT TAEK.  The kid's had so many big hits for a rookie in spite of his numbers not exactly demonstrating high-caliber production.  The numbers will come; in the meantime, he has been a perfectly fine contributor to the team with the 6th best record in baseball currently.  His defensive play has been as good as I had hoped for also.  Yay Addison.

He's got a 103 OPS+ as a rookie. He posted an OPS of .806 in May and is at .741 so far in June, both of which are very good for a second baseman of any age or experience level these days. I think there's a pretty solid chance his offensive numbers actually might end up looking pretty good. To say nothing of him being, as Eli noted on twitter a while back, one of the best defensive 2B in the league in terms of WAR on a per game basis. He's still on pace for about 5 WAR as a fucking 21 year old rookie. *cackles maniacally*

EDITED: or as Eli noted right before I hit post. Goddammit.

I watched that diving play behind 2B over and over and over and it got more and more and more impressive each time. He's an incredible athlete.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
Last 7 days: .368/.478/.526/1.005
Last 14: .325/.426/.450/.876
Last 28: .297/.381/.446/.827.

Up to 1.5 fWAR, 1.9 bWAR.

*still cackling maniacally*

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
I really enjoyed the way, in yesterday's game, that Herrmann was fixing to take a turn round first only to look up and discover that, not only had Russell got to his ground ball up the middle, but he'd got it to Rizzo's mitt with about twenty minutes to spare.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 22, 2015, 11:39:13 AM
I really enjoyed the way, in yesterday's game, that Herrmann was fixing to take a turn round first only to look up and discover that, not only had Russell got to his ground ball up the middle, but he'd got it to Rizzo's mitt with about twenty minutes to spare.

I noticed that too...he's just so good.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on June 22, 2015, 12:20:15 PM

He does shit we haven't seen in these parts since the days of corncob dresses.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on June 22, 2015, 12:30:13 PM

I'd ... really like to see him at shortstop. Sorry, Starlin.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2015, 01:40:27 PM »

Good call.  Watching that play (and the batter assuming it was ticketed for CF), and seeing how Russell made it almost look routine--precisely because it wasn't a circus play that involved diving and hookers and fire trucks and such--reminded me of Sandberg.  The kid was well--positioned and seemed to have gotten a freakishly, almost anticipatory,  jump on the ball.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 22, 2015, 01:40:27 PM

Good call.  Watching that play (and the batter assuming it was ticketed for CF), and seeing how Russell made it almost look routine--precisely because it wasn't a circus play that involved diving and hookers and fire trucks and such--reminded me of Sandberg.  The kid was well--positioned and seemed to have gotten a freakishly, almost anticipatory,  jump on the ball.

Ah, that classic Sandberg positioning.  Morph knows what I'm talking about.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on June 22, 2015, 01:07:36 PM

I'd ... really like to see him at shortstop. Sorry, Starlin.

I kinda don't. If he's literally already the best second baseman in baseball on a per play basis maybe just leave him there. He supposedly has less range than Starlin and less of an arm than Baez, so if he might only be a pretty good shortstop vs. Ryne Sandberg at 2B, why not just let him be Sandberg? That's a pretty valuable thing, too.