News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2014 General NFL Thread  ( 27,905 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2014 General NFL Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 11:25:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 18, 2014, 09:18:49 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on September 18, 2014, 09:02:48 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 17, 2014, 04:25:10 PM
And now Jonathan Dwyer gets arrested for domestic violence.

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

These guys do lots and lots and lots and lots of PEDs and get hit in the head about 20 times on a good day.

What could go wrong?

When people talked about the head trauma issue over the past couple of years it was couched in a tone of, "Well, they know the risks (to themselves). They do what they want and they're well compensated."

What the NFL knew and what we should have suspected was that the trauma causes many of them to do terrible things. Same thing happens to people affected by war, auto accidents or other trauma.

This is why the NFL covered shit up. Too late to plug that hole now. This sport is not long for the planet.

I think that's far too convenient an answer. There are hundreds of football players with no domestic violence or really any other kind of violent issues. I do not buy that playing a violent sport makes someone some kind of violent animal. These are thinking, feeling human beings capable of more than just acting like cavemen.

I don't think concussions are to play here, either. I think sometimes people are just bad people. Adrian Peterson's mental faculties are perfectly fine. He clearly just thinks beating children with tree limbs is appropriate punishment. if that's a concussion side effect it's a damn peculiar one.

Jonathan Dwyer ain't all about that domestic violets.

Have fun with Sheriff Joe, asshole.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 18, 2014, 11:25:06 AM

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

These guys do lots and lots and lots and lots of PEDs and get hit in the head about 20 times on a good day.

What could go wrong?

When people talked about the head trauma issue over the past couple of years it was couched in a tone of, "Well, they know the risks (to themselves). They do what they want and they're well compensated."

What the NFL knew and what we should have suspected was that the trauma causes many of them to do terrible things. Same thing happens to people affected by war, auto accidents or other trauma.

This is why the NFL covered shit up. Too late to plug that hole now. This sport is not long for the planet.

I think that's far too convenient an answer. There are hundreds of football players with no domestic violence or really any other kind of violent issues. I do not buy that playing a violent sport makes someone some kind of violent animal. These are thinking, feeling human beings capable of more than just acting like cavemen.

I don't think concussions are to play here, either. I think sometimes people are just bad people. Adrian Peterson's mental faculties are perfectly fine. He clearly just thinks beating children with tree limbs is appropriate punishment. if that's a concussion side effect it's a damn peculiar one.

Also, don't send your kids to Georgia Tech if they want to major in English.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 18, 2014, 04:27:32 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on September 18, 2014, 11:25:06 AM

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

What could go wrong?

I can't believe what they are asking for domestic violets these days when you can get imported violets at a much more reasonable price.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 06:12:50 PM »

Why not? Did Jonathan Dwyer major in English? Is he the chair of the department?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 18, 2014, 06:12:50 PM

Why not? Did Jonathan Dwyer major in English? Is he the chair of the department?

Jonathan Dwyer had the lead in the Scottish Play in his Sophomore year.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 18, 2014, 06:12:50 PM

Technical schools tend not to be as strong in the humanities. Georgia would be a better choice. Then again, the most famous guy from UGA that routinely works with words in Chip Caray. Speaking of the humanity!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
DAT'S WHY DEY NEVER SHOULDA CUT DAT DEVIN HESTER! NICE CHOICE PHIL!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

What could go wrong?

It's not merely playing a violent sport that makes a person a violent animal. The type of person who willfully dishes out and endures that much pain is abnormal however. As are prizefighters, marines, dirty cops etc. Add in abnormal amounts of performance enhancing testosterone and countless shots to the cranium and there could be a serious problem for a person like that. Now add in the fact that the constant pain drives some of these guys to indulge in painkillers and copious amounts of alcohol and you have a true recipe for disaster.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 19, 2014, 08:39:45 AM

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

What could go wrong?

It's not merely playing a violent sport that makes a person a violent animal. The type of person who willfully dishes out and endures that much pain is abnormal however. As are prizefighters, marines, dirty cops etc. Add in abnormal amounts of performance enhancing testosterone and countless shots to the cranium and there could be a serious problem for a person like that. Now add in the fact that the constant pain drives some of these guys to indulge in painkillers and copious amounts of alcohol and you have a true recipe for disaster.

That's also true and yet there are hundreds of NFL players who do not beat women and children and in fact have lower arrest rates than the rest of the general population. I'm not saying it's not potentially a factor in some of these incidents, I'm saying it's way too simplistic and convenient an answer for the recent high profile cases, particularly Peterson and Rice, both whom seem more than capable of explaining their thought processes on such things. It's an excuse that makes them victims and removes their own culpability and I don't buy it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 08:53:50 AM

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

What could go wrong?

That's also true and yet there are hundreds of NFL players who do not beat women and children and in fact have lower arrest rates than the rest of the general population. I'm not saying it's not potentially a factor in some of these incidents, I'm saying it's way too simplistic and convenient an answer for the recent high profile cases, particularly Peterson and Rice, both whom seem more than capable of explaining their thought processes on such things. It's an excuse that makes them victims and removes their own culpability and I don't buy it.

Or Brandon Marshall.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »
Quote from: BH on September 19, 2014, 08:55:30 AM

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

What could go wrong?

Or Brandon Marshall.

Actually Brandon's press conference was a pretty good example of what I think is the problem with some of these guys, especially Peterson. Marshall, like Peterson, was whipped with an extension cord as a kid. A switch seems fairly tame in comparison, I suppose. He also saw his mother get sexually and physically abused, and admits he grew up with a  completely f*&ked view of what a relationship was supposed to be. Brandon seems to have benefitted greatly from therapy and medication and like he's trying to break the cycle, saying he'd never discipline his kids physically, etc. I think there's a larger % of  NFL players coming from awful backgrounds who don't know why what they're doing is so wrong than there are NFL players just snapping because the game has fucked their head.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »
That's also true and yet there are hundreds of NFL players who do not beat women and children and in fact have lower arrest rates than the rest of the general population.

GenPop, yes. But a look at the subset of the population that NFL players inhabit:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Quoterelative to the income level (top 1 percent) and poverty rate (0 percent) of NFL players, the domestic violence arrest rate is downright extraordinary. According to a 2002 Bureau of Justice Statistics Report covering 1993 to 1998, the domestic victimization rate for women in households with income greater than $75,000 (3.3 per 100,000) was about 39 percent of the overall rate (8.4 per 100,000), and less than 20 percent of the rate for women ages 20 to 34. That report doesn't include cross-tabs, and it's a little out of date (more current data is harder to find because more recent BJS reports on the issue do not include income breakdowns), but that sub-20 percent relative victimization among high-income households is consistent with the NFL's 13 percent relative arrest rate overall (arrest disparities between income levels are probably even greater than victimization rates).

The "lower arrest rates" doesn't really hold up under scrutiny.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 19, 2014, 09:03:30 AM
That's also true and yet there are hundreds of NFL players who do not beat women and children and in fact have lower arrest rates than the rest of the general population.

GenPop, yes. But a look at the subset of the population that NFL players inhabit:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Quoterelative to the income level (top 1 percent) and poverty rate (0 percent) of NFL players, the domestic violence arrest rate is downright extraordinary. According to a 2002 Bureau of Justice Statistics Report covering 1993 to 1998, the domestic victimization rate for women in households with income greater than $75,000 (3.3 per 100,000) was about 39 percent of the overall rate (8.4 per 100,000), and less than 20 percent of the rate for women ages 20 to 34. That report doesn't include cross-tabs, and it's a little out of date (more current data is harder to find because more recent BJS reports on the issue do not include income breakdowns), but that sub-20 percent relative victimization among high-income households is consistent with the NFL's 13 percent relative arrest rate overall (arrest disparities between income levels are probably even greater than victimization rates).

Is that really saying NFL players commit more domestic violence than other people that are similarly rich? Because no shit. Most other people as rich as NFL players are just rich people raised as rich people. Lots of NFL players come from the lowest income level and then become suddenly rich. That doesn't just automatically instill a lifetime of upper class WASP values.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 09:06:14 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 19, 2014, 09:03:30 AM

Is that really saying NFL players commit more domestic violence than other people that are similarly rich? Because no shit. Most other people as rich as NFL players are just rich people raised as rich people. Lots of NFL players come from the lowest income level and then become suddenly rich. That doesn't just automatically instill a lifetime of upper class WASP values.

Like, really, they don't see the flaws in the logic of comparing people who were often raised at a much, much, much lower and often poverty-level social class who became suddenly wealthy at age 22 vs. people born and raised in "polite society"?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 19, 2014, 09:02:08 AM
Quote from: BH on September 19, 2014, 08:55:30 AM

STOP. HITTING. PEOPLE.

What could go wrong?

Or Brandon Marshall.

Actually Brandon's press conference was a pretty good example of what I think is the problem with some of these guys, especially Peterson. Marshall, like Peterson, was whipped with an extension cord as a kid. A switch seems fairly tame in comparison, I suppose. He also saw his mother get sexually and physically abused, and admits he grew up with a  completely f*&ked view of what a relationship was supposed to be. Brandon seems to have benefitted greatly from therapy and medication and like he's trying to break the cycle, saying he'd never discipline his kids physically, etc. I think there's a larger % of  NFL players coming from awful backgrounds who don't know why what they're doing is so wrong than there are NFL players just snapping because the game has fucked their head.

Marshall's press conference wasn't long enough in my opinion. He did a great job making the girl seem guilty of the DV that happened and that he was a victim in all of this. He seems to really have taken ownership in his actions. Did I miss anything else?