News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2014 General NFL Thread  ( 27,901 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2014 General NFL Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2015, 12:02:46 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 19, 2015, 08:58:47 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 19, 2015, 08:49:24 AM
Between the Packers' epic meltdown and the Colts' decisive ball crushing at the hands of their hated rivals, yesterday was nearly enough to redeem this entire abortion of a football season for me. Then there's the fact that I correctly picked both games and stand ready to collect enough money in my playoff point spread pool to buy a new wireless car vac.  I just need to pick the Super Bowl right vs. the spread and I'm golden.

Schadenfreude is a helluva drug.

Big pool.

It's not a big pool. I will make enough to cover what I lost in the regular season and still come away with a car vac that is slightly better than the one pictured above.

But I'm 8-2 vs. the spread so far and my only misses were GB/DAL and NE/BAL, in which I picked winners who failed to cover. I should have bet half a paycheck on this shit.

/cool story bro
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:34 PM »
Hell of a pass by Morph.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: January 20, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »
Baltimore Ravens hire OC Marc Trestman.  Hilarious.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: January 20, 2015, 02:54:42 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 20, 2015, 02:52:05 PM

It's a good hire.
I don't get why it's that funny. 

I hope they do fucking awful, but as someone who roots passionately against the Ravens, I'm not thrilled about this development.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: January 20, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 20, 2015, 02:54:42 PM
Baltimore Ravens hire OC Marc Trestman.  Hilarious.

It's a good hire.

I hope they do fucking awful, but as someone who roots passionately against the Ravens, I'm not thrilled about this development.

Depends on which Trestman they get. The 2013 risk-taker who frequently stretched the field vertically or the 2014 version and his plethora of WR screens.

And before anyone points out the whole "he just didn't trust Cutler DERP" defense you can explain why he'll trust Joe Flacco more.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2015, 03:01:49 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 20, 2015, 02:58:05 PM

It's a good hire.

Depends on which Trestman they get. The 2013 risk-taker who frequently stretched the field vertically or the 2014 version and his plethora of WR screens.

There's certainly a duality to his results. 

In the 10 times he's run an offense, he's been in the top 5 in scoring four times and over 20 four times. 

But Flacco also doesn't make mistakes on the level of Cutler.  I'm not saying he's much better than Cutler, but he's less mistake-prone, which should help Trestman. 

Obviously the key takeaway though is fuck the Ravens.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: January 20, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »

It's a good hire.

Because his ass just got fired for being a total disaster, and as an assistant, he has a long history of starting out well but flaming out fairly quickly thereafter.  I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: January 20, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 20, 2015, 03:01:49 PM

It's a good hire.

In the 10 times he's run an offense, he's been in the top 5 in scoring four times and over 20 four times.  

But Flacco also doesn't make mistakes on the level of Cutler.  I'm not saying he's much better than Cutler, but he's less mistake-prone, which should help Trestman.  

I am not so sure about this. In all but one year of his career Flacco's been in offenses that were run heavy. From 2008-2012 they ran their offense through Ray Rice and Flacco averaged just 31 passing attempts per game and only 3500 yards a year. He also never topped 60.5% completions. The one year their run game fell apart and Flacco shouldered the load he tossed 22 picks. This year Kubiak ran a bootleg heavy, zone run dominant offense that played to Flacco's strengths (deep ball accuracy, mobile outside the pocket, sort of like Jay), and Trestman's offense doesn't feature those things.

Trestman's offenses almost always rank in the top ten in passing attempts, Flacco's had two seasons where he was in the top ten in the league in passing attempts, in those two years he posted passer ratings of 80.9 and 73.1 and ratios of 20-12 and 19-22, YPAs of 6.7 and 6.4, and completion %s of 57.6 and 59.

It just seems an odd choice to take a guy who just had his greatest year ever in a run-based, play-action heavy, bootleg offense that carefully manages his attempts and takes shots downfield and put him under the tutelage of a pass-first, precision based offensive scheme running OC.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: January 20, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 20, 2015, 03:13:30 PM

It's a good hire.

But Flacco also doesn't make mistakes on the level of Cutler.  I'm not saying he's much better than Cutler, but he's less mistake-prone, which should help Trestman.  

I am not so sure about this. In all but one year of his career Flacco's been in offenses that were run heavy. From 2008-2012 they ran their offense through Ray Rice and Flacco averaged just 31 passing attempts per game and only 3500 yards a year. He also never topped 60.5% completions. The one year their run game fell apart and Flacco shouldered the load he tossed 22 picks. This year Kubiak ran a bootleg heavy, zone run dominant offense that played to Flacco's strengths (deep ball accuracy, mobile outside the pocket, sort of like Jay), and Trestman's offense doesn't feature those things.

Trestman's offenses almost always rank in the top ten in passing attempts, Flacco's had two seasons where he was in the top ten in the league in passing attempts, in those two years he posted passer ratings of 80.9 and 73.1 and ratios of 20-12 and 19-22, YPAs of 6.7 and 6.4, and completion %s of 57.6 and 59.

It just seems an odd choice to take a guy who just had his greatest year ever in a run-based, play-action heavy, bootleg offense that carefully manages his attempts and takes shots downfield and put him under the tutelage of a pass-first, precision based offensive scheme running OC.

Already, this all seems reasonable and thought out.

The Ravens suck again!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: January 20, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 20, 2015, 03:28:09 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 20, 2015, 03:13:30 PM

It's a good hire.

Already, this all seems reasonable and thought out.

The Ravens suck again!

I mean who knows, maybe Trestman learned from this awful year and will play to his player's strengths, but given the way he tried the exact same gameplan on both sides of the ball as the whole world fell apart around him, I doubt it.

Either way, Kubiak's offense fit Flacco to a T, so I doubt they'll be quite as good as they were offensively this year even if Trestman's more 2013 Innovator than 2014 Clown College.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:55 AM »
I feel like, if you let a team that is playing in a competitive game have control over something as important as the ball that both teams will use, and you don't even bother to check that said ball is up to standard before the game starts, that's on you for being fucking stupid.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2015, 08:44:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 21, 2015, 08:31:55 AM
I feel like, if you let a team that is playing in a competitive game have control over something as important as the ball that both teams will use, and you don't even bother to check that said ball is up to standard before the game starts, that's on you for being fucking stupid.

Agreed. And I'll bet you this happens all the time.

That said, the NFL is the fucking worst. Why do I keep sticking my head in this toilet?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 21, 2015, 08:44:05 AM

That said, the NFL is the fucking worst. Why do I keep sticking my head in this toilet?

NFL fans are identical to comic book movie fans who bitch and moan about how terrible every superhero movie is, then camp out outside the theaters for opening night.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
Quote from: Bort on January 21, 2015, 09:28:32 AM

NFL fans are identical to comic book movie fans who bitch and moan about how terrible every superhero movie is, then camp out outside the theaters for opening night.

SKO certainly belongs to both demographics.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 21, 2015, 09:36:19 AM
Quote from: Bort on January 21, 2015, 09:28:32 AM

SKO certainly belongs to both demographics.

In my defense I usually bitch about the people bitching about superhero movies, unless they're bitching about Man of Steel.