News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion  ( 56,576 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears 2015 Draft Discussion
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2014, 08:01:30 AM »
More than Cutler, I enjoyed the defense. When I heard Briggs was out I had flashbacks to last year after they also lost Briggs and Tillman. Couldn't stop anyone for anything. But yesterday they made Matt Ryan their chew toy. Great d-line play.

Considering the constant injuries to linebackers and secondary maybe it's time to give Mel Tucker a little credit? If he had half the talent the Bears had 5 years ago on defense he'd be getting similar results, I bet.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 13, 2014, 08:01:30 AM
More than Cutler, I enjoyed the defense. When I heard Briggs was out I had flashbacks to last year after they also lost Briggs and Tillman. Couldn't stop anyone for anything. But yesterday they made Matt Ryan their chew toy. Great d-line play.

Considering the constant injuries to linebackers and secondary maybe it's time to give Mel Tucker a little credit? If he had half the talent the Bears had 5 years ago on defense he'd be getting similar results, I bet.

I'm not exactly bullish on the defense considering all the inexplicable drops the Falcons had. But they contained the run and did cause Ryan to throw it in some spots that made the Atlanta receivers get alligator arms. That's probably sustainable against teams with horrible offensive lines and immobile quarterbacks. And it's an improvement, which is all we can ask for right now. Arrow pointing up. I'll take it.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 13, 2014, 08:40:46 AM

I'm not exactly bullish on the defense considering all the inexplicable drops the Falcons had. But they contained the run and did cause Ryan to throw it in some spots that made the Atlanta receivers get alligator arms. That's probably sustainable against teams with horrible offensive lines and immobile quarterbacks. And it's an improvement, which is all we can ask for right now. Arrow pointing up. I'll take it.

True - that Toyota guy probably had the worst game I've ever seen from a pass catcher.

Is Willie Young on pace to break a single season sack record?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »
I'm still butthurt that Mel Tucker went to that bullshit prevent defense against Carolina at the end of the first half after Robbie Gould shanked a gimme FG, and after Mel's defense did a mighty fine job of shutting down Carolina the first 28 minutes of the first half so I'm going to hold off on schlobbing on the guy's knob for now.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2014, 11:39:16 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 13, 2014, 09:07:04 AM
I'm still butthurt that Mel Tucker went to that bullshit prevent defense against Carolina at the end of the first half after Robbie Gould shanked a gimme FG, and after Mel's defense did a mighty fine job of shutting down Carolina the first 28 minutes of the first half so I'm going to hold off on schlobbing on the guy's knob for now.

Cal drove down to Washington's 1/2 yard line.  With first and less than a yard Cal's quarterback fumbled and Washington's cornerback ran it back for a hundred yard touchdown.  And you think that you have problems?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: October 13, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 13, 2014, 09:07:04 AM

Mel is fine, really. His big problem is that the defense has been completely ineffective running zones all year. They play adequate man coverage, they have a very good run defense outside of three blown keys vs. the zone read against Buffalo, but they can't do shit in zone. The reason why is that Briggs and DJ Williams are old and can't run anymore and can't cover much ground. They don't cover very well and they're also slow in pursuit, so those checkdowns to the flat that Lance used to run down for a 2 yard gain are now an 8-15 yard gain, and it sucks. They were noticeably better defending those yesterday simply because they had guys that could run in there.

I don't expect them to bench Briggs when he gets back because he's still very good against the run and he could stay in the base D, but it wouldn't hurt me none to see them try Bostic and Jones/Greene/Sharpton at the other LB spot in the nickel. At this point Briggs is 2012 Urlacher, but there's no 2012 Briggs next to him to hide him.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: October 13, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »
Oh and DJ Williams is worthless, and he was already losing snaps at MLB to Bostic in the base (Bostic was already the starter in the nickel) before Shamus got hurt, so at this point with Jones and Greene looking respectable and Bostic hopefully on the mend I don't see any reason to ever play DJ again, barring another apocalyptic wave of injuries.

They also got decent play at the nickel for the first time since Tillman went down now that Hurst and Vereen replaced Frey. So hopefully that continues and the middle of the field isn't free space anymore.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2014, 02:23:46 PM
Oh and DJ Williams is worthless, and he was already losing snaps at MLB to Bostic in the base (Bostic was already the starter in the nickel) before Shamus got hurt, so at this point with Jones and Greene looking respectable and Bostic hopefully on the mend I don't see any reason to ever play DJ again, barring another apocalyptic wave of injuries.

They also got decent play at the nickel for the first time since Tillman went down now that Hurst and Vereen replaced Frey. So hopefully that continues and the middle of the field isn't free space anymore.

Here's my question for you on the defense.  Is there a possibility that Jones could develop into an impact player?  If not, maybe a solid starter?  Or is he pretty much an UDFA and nothing more?  I'll hang up and listen to your answer.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:55 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 13, 2014, 03:22:31 PM

Here's my question for you on the defense.  Is there a possibility that Jones could develop into an impact player?  If not, maybe a solid starter?  Or is he pretty much an UDFA and nothing more?  I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

I have no idea if he can be an impact player, I do think he has starter potential. He was a projected 2nd-3rd round pick but he fell because of a failed weed test, the perception that he was a raw project, and because he plays a position that isn't really that highly valued in the draft anymore.

He reminds me a lot of Vontaze Burfict, whom a certain beltless, hairy blogger desperately wanted the Bears to grab as a UDFA in 2012. The Bengals nabbed him, and now he's a Pro Bowl-caliber WLB. I don't know if Christian can be that but he's got all of the athleticism you'd want from that spot and he hasn't looked lost in extended game action the last two weeks. There's at least something to work with there.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2014, 03:44:55 PM

I have no idea if he can be an impact player, I do think he has starter potential. He was a projected 2nd-3rd round pick but he fell because of a failed weed test, the perception that he was a raw project, and because he plays a position that isn't really that highly valued in the draft anymore.

He reminds me a lot of Vontaze Burfict, whom a certain beltless, hairy blogger desperately wanted the Bears to grab as a UDFA in 2012. The Bengals nabbed him, and now he's a Pro Bowl-caliber WLB. I don't know if Christian can be that but he's got all of the athleticism you'd want from that spot and he hasn't looked lost in extended game action the last two weeks. There's at least something to work with there.

maybe
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on October 13, 2014, 03:53:25 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2014, 03:44:55 PM

maybe

"why does no one ever ask me questions"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 13, 2014, 09:01:59 AM

True - that Toyota guy probably had the worst game I've ever seen from a pass catcher.

I believe he would set the team record at his current pace (19), but the NFL record is 22.5 by Strahan. Two guys are tied for second with 22.0, one of them is Jared Allen.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:43 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2014, 07:50:54 PM

I believe he would set the team record at his current pace (19), but the NFL record is 22.5 by Strahan. Two guys are tied for second with 22.0, one of them is Jared Allen.

Ah fuck, yeah I meant Bears season record. Cool.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 13, 2014, 09:36:43 PM

Dent had 17.5 in 1984.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 13, 2014, 10:21:27 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 13, 2014, 09:36:43 PM

Dent had 17.5 in 1984.

Favruh dove so Strahan could get the record.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16