News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Gotham  ( 6,402 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Gotham
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2014, 04:29:37 PM
Also I say this a lot but for those of you who are watching this because "Yay Comics" and not "eh this looks okay as long as it's not too comic-y" I have to strongly recommend The Flash and Arrow. You have to put up with a fair share of stupid CW melodrama but The Flash especially is pretty loyal to the comics canon and has been highly entertaining through the first three episodes. The first two seasons of Arrow are on Netflix. If you can just get through the first half of season one it really picks up steam, and season two was all kinds of batshit crazy in a good way, with Deathstroke showing up to just do some over the top supervillain shit. The Suicide Squad even makes a couple appearances.

Yeah you've finally sold me on Arrow. I keep meaning to make the jump and with Slakette very soon arriving I think it's a good time to do so.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2014, 04:14:38 PM
I also agree that I like it as just a detective show, but the Penguin element needs to stay. I'd pretty much watch this show stripped off all Batman ties if it was just Idealistic Cop in Corrupt City tries to stop brewing mob war as really weird, awkward sociopath murders and scams his way to the top of said criminal empire. Those storylines are working. The rest not so much. The last two episodes have pretty much followed this formula.
Yeah, that's where my interest lies. I like Sean Pertwee's Alfred well enough, but he's tied to a kid. And even good kid actors are annoying.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:08 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 23, 2014, 04:51:26 PM
Also I say this a lot but for those of you who are watching this because "Yay Comics" and not "eh this looks okay as long as it's not too comic-y" I have to strongly recommend The Flash and Arrow. You have to put up with a fair share of stupid CW melodrama but The Flash especially is pretty loyal to the comics canon and has been highly entertaining through the first three episodes. The first two seasons of Arrow are on Netflix. If you can just get through the first half of season one it really picks up steam, and season two was all kinds of batshit crazy in a good way, with Deathstroke showing up to just do some over the top supervillain shit. The Suicide Squad even makes a couple appearances.

Yeah you've finally sold me on Arrow. I keep meaning to make the jump and with Slakette very soon arriving I think it's a good time to do so.

Just remember I warned you of season one and CW melodrama.  I agree with the guy from Comics Alliance who says it's basically a low rent tv version of Nolan's Batman with Ollie standing in for Bruce. The Flash definitely tries to be more like a tv version of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.  No complaints on either approach.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2014, 05:35:08 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 23, 2014, 04:51:26 PM

Just remember I warned you of season one and CW melodrama.  I agree with the guy from Comics Alliance who says it's basically a low rent tv version of Nolan's Batman with Ollie standing in for Bruce. The Flash definitely tries to be more like a tv version of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man.  No complaints on either approach.

Ollie?  As in Kukla, Fran and...?  Now there was a great show.   
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »
Okay. I think it just isn't good
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »
I haven't seen the latest Gotham yet but is this where we talk about Flash? I watched the pilot and while it was clearly setting up relationships with some corny dialogue it was also pretty cool. I'll definitely keep watching it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2014, 09:06:55 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 31, 2014, 08:51:34 AM
I haven't seen the latest Gotham yet but is this where we talk about Flash? I watched the pilot and while it was clearly setting up relationships with some corny dialogue it was also pretty cool. I'll definitely keep watching it.

I will talk about this wherever. There's some corny to it, but Barry Allen's kind of a cornball character when he's done right. It's just very entertaining, and whatever CW crap it does it's very loyal to the Flash canon and to the spirit of the character. This week's episode vs. Captain Cold was fantastic and surprisingly good visual effects for a TV show.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 22, 2014, 05:29:29 PM
Quote from: CBStew on October 22, 2014, 05:26:26 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 21, 2014, 08:19:26 PM
Really the only guys I can remember not making Gotham a grim, dirty hellscape are Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder, who have both kinda pointed out the obvious answer that if it was that bad all of the time people would move eventually.

Then explain Gary, Indiana.

Gary is the inexplicable thing that ruins all theoretical systems.

Last two times I was there, it was a ghost town. Not sure where everyone on the census was but they weren't anywhere near the city center. The population is about 78,000. That's down from 178,000 in 1960.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.