News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,923 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 03, 2014, 11:31:23 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 03, 2014, 11:19:06 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 03, 2014, 11:17:04 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 03, 2014, 11:00:47 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 03, 2014, 10:35:29 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 03, 2014, 09:24:11 AM
Quote from: Fork on December 03, 2014, 09:06:21 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 02, 2014, 01:45:34 PM
Quote from: CBStew on December 02, 2014, 01:22:40 PM
Surely they must have known about all of those holes in Baez's swing.  It was probably a mistake to give Baez all of those at bats, thus reducing his value during the off season.  I can't think of any teams that have anything that the Cubs want who would be interested in anything that the Cubs are willing to trade. 

I assume any star pitcher traded this winter will get a better package in return than Price and Lester did during the season, but still I think the Cubs could offer a pretty good package built around Baez/Edwards/Vogelbach/Almora or any number of the highly rated prospects they have that aren't necessarily the core. If the teams are willing to take guys not quite major league ready people seem really high on Gleyber Torres and it's not like the Cubs need another shortstop prospect. Heck, throw in a guy like Valbuena who at least seems like a reasonably average everyday 3rd or 2nd baseman. I'd bet they can match just about any package most other franchises are offering without having to part with Bryant or Russell or Soler. Everyone else I'd be willing to listen.

I'd toss Schwarber into the "off the table" group too.

He can't be traded until June anyway.

Even after that.

I don't know that a guy without a clear major league position should be "off the table." Then again, I don't think good teams really operate with that sort of philosophy for any player.

I'm starting to feel like very few of these guys will amount to much beyond "serviceable".

Trade almost anyone if you're getting a good, proven major leaguer in return who isn't past his prime.

I think Bryant should be a fairly above average offensive player. Same with Russell. It's not that they're untradeable but I just don't know what kind of compensation would be worth trading them. The rest of them? Sure. If you're not listening to offers on Kyle Schwarber you need help.

Wait, so the royal we waited around for them to collect all of these sploogtastic prospects that everybody gets gigantic erections over and claims are going to be the future, the truth, the shit, and before they even make the majors, you want them to be traded for 31 year olds that will be declining in the near future?  That's how this works? 

Am I the Royal We? Do I use the Royal We that often? Either way I'm not saying trade them, just saying, like Eli said, that any organization should at least be willing to see what people will offer. There's a package out there worth Kyle Schwarber I'm pretty damn sure.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 03, 2014, 11:28:01 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 03, 2014, 11:17:04 AM
I'm starting to feel like very few of these guys will amount to much beyond "serviceable".

A few will, a few won't. Personally (which is worth nothing), I feel best about Soler and Russell, but maybe Bryant answers those contact questions and becomes the next Giancarlo Stanton. We really have no idea. But hopefully Theo and co. do, since they're the ones getting paid to be right about it.

Starting with a  foundation of Rizzo and Castro, let's assume Russell and Soler and Bryant are all at a minimum above-average players. Even if Baez and Mendy and whoever else fail, that's 5 good to great offensive players at premium positions to build around. If you can't fill in the holes around them at places where people don't really even expect that much offense anyway (CF and Catcher) and find a serviceable corner outfielder you're not very good at this whole GM thing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 03, 2014, 11:35:52 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on December 03, 2014, 11:31:23 AM
Wait, so the royal we waited around for them to collect all of these sploogtastic prospects that everybody gets gigantic erections over and claims are going to be the future, the truth, the shit, and before they even make the majors, you want them to be traded for 31 year olds that will be declining in the near future?  That's how this works? 

I think you're talking about different groups of people.

Nobody cares what he's talking about.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Surely they must have known about all of those holes in Baez's swing.  It was probably a mistake to give Baez all of those at bats, thus reducing his value during the off season.  I can't think of any teams that have anything that the Cubs want who would be interested in anything that the Cubs are willing to trade. 

I assume any star pitcher traded this winter will get a better package in return than Price and Lester did during the season, but still I think the Cubs could offer a pretty good package built around Baez/Edwards/Vogelbach/Almora or any number of the highly rated prospects they have that aren't necessarily the core. If the teams are willing to take guys not quite major league ready people seem really high on Gleyber Torres and it's not like the Cubs need another shortstop prospect. Heck, throw in a guy like Valbuena who at least seems like a reasonably average everyday 3rd or 2nd baseman. I'd bet they can match just about any package most other franchises are offering without having to part with Bryant or Russell or Soler. Everyone else I'd be willing to listen.

Even after that.

I don't know that a guy without a clear major league position should be "off the table." Then again, I don't think good teams really operate with that sort of philosophy for any player.

He still represents an investment that they should be expecting some return on sooner rather than later. This time next year, all the poindexters on this site will bust out their slide rules to figure out when the Cubs can call him up without losing a year of control. He also currently represents the only lefthanded power bat in the system with major league potential.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on December 03, 2014, 12:40:38 PM

Even after that.

He still represents an investment that they should be expecting some return on sooner rather than later. This time next year, all the poindexters on this site will bust out their slide rules to figure out when the Cubs can call him up without losing a year of control. He also currently represents the only lefthanded power bat in the system with major league potential.

Really?  Someone on this site owns a SLIDE RULE?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CBStew on December 03, 2014, 08:32:21 PM

Even after that.

I own a slide whistle. Is that different?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on December 03, 2014, 09:32:45 PM
Quote from: CBStew on December 03, 2014, 08:32:21 PM

Even after that.

I own a slide whistle. Is that different?

I've got a skinflute for you.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I want Lester even more now: https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/540915505268547584

QuoteDempster signs, retires with Cubs. Has spoken to Lester.

I know he's not the only Demp-hater, but that'd be such a great HueyTroll

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on December 05, 2014, 11:10:46 AM
I want Lester even more now: https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/540915505268547584

Friday trolls Huey by following Thursday.
TIME TO POST!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on December 05, 2014, 01:29:21 PM

And Thursday trolls Huey by being Wednesday.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 05, 2014, 02:05:24 PM

Nicely played.  Had forgotten all about that, too--quite a laugh.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on December 05, 2014, 02:41:39 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 05, 2014, 02:05:24 PM

Nicely played.  Had forgotten all about that, too--quite a laugh.

We've got top people working on a potato-powered calendar.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!