News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,911 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on December 10, 2014, 01:05:14 AM
Now it's real. We don't have to go to plan B. They actually got the guy they wanted. Fuck this changes everything.

The Cubs won a bidding war? That can't be right.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on December 10, 2014, 01:23:39 AM
Now it's real. We don't have to go to plan B. They actually got the guy they wanted. Fuck this changes everything.

It turns out they were already more than 60% of the way toward signing Jon Lester all along. That is absolutely staggering.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on December 10, 2014, 01:23:39 AM

Until Bill Simmons weighs in I still think he's going to Boston.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
If Arietta has the same type of year he did last year, he's the best #2 starter in the league.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on December 10, 2014, 04:52:37 AM
If Arietta has the same type of year he did last year, he's the best #2 starter in the league.

... East of Zack Greinke. And West of your choice between Zimmerman/Strasburg.

And that's a rather large if.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
So awesome. Can't wait to see what they do next, given all the buzz that adding Lester means they'll want to add more talent.

I'm puzzled by the David Ross stuff though. They're not going to carry three catchers, so that would mean a Castillo trade (even though Theo denied that yesterday).

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 10, 2014, 07:41:34 AM
So awesome. Can't wait to see what they do next, given all the buzz that adding Lester means they'll want to add more talent.

I'm puzzled by the David Ross stuff though. They're not going to carry three catchers, so that would mean a Castillo trade (even though Theo denied that yesterday).

I saw some chatter about Beef going to Colorado as part of a Carlos Gonzalez deal.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on December 10, 2014, 07:57:11 AM

I saw some chatter about Beef going to Colorado as part of a Carlos Gonzalez deal.

I think Ross was probably an option until they got Montero.  Montero and Castillo make a lot of sense as a platoon, and I'm guessing that Lester will also be happy enough to throw to Montero instead of Ross.  Defensively, he's pretty fucking good.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
So this is actually happening?
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: thehawk on December 10, 2014, 08:04:14 AM
So this is actually happening?

It's gonna.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 10, 2014, 01:23:26 AM

Can't wait to see what's next. Also, this passage from the Yahoo Sports story kindly invites all the people who love claiming Theo and his team are incompetent/idiots/not as smart as they think they are to go fuck themselves.

QuoteAll the while, Lester became a great ally of the pediatric cancer community with the NVRQT campaign. During meetings with teams, he stressed the importance of his charity work. The Cubs' emphasis on it during their mid-November meeting – while most of his other get-togethers included strictly ownership and baseball-operations people, Chicago brought in community-relations personnel – stuck with Lester, as did the straightforwardness of Epstein and Hoyer.

"The thing I liked about 'em is it wasn't forced and wasn't a sales pitch," Lester said after his meeting with the Cubs. "It was like, 'This is what we can do.' I don't want BS. I don't want show. I don't want glitz and glamour. I don't want to walk out to the field with your name and number on the JumboTron. I'm not 18 anymore. I want you to tell me what you can do for me and my family."

He's gonna be so pissed when he sees the new JumboTron. Too late, sucker. 
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Tonker on December 10, 2014, 08:02:31 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 10, 2014, 07:57:11 AM

I think Ross was probably an option until they got Montero.  Montero and Castillo make a lot of sense as a platoon, and I'm guessing that Lester will also be happy enough to throw to Montero instead of Ross.  Defensively, he's pretty fucking good.

A catcher who can hit AND play his position? Who knew these things existed?

This also buys the Cubs some time if they really want to push all their "Schwarber as a catcher" chips to the midle of the table.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Boston fans are taking this well.

Quote from: @BigGameShaneO
Quote from: @JLester31To Red Sox Nation, I understand the disappointment. Boston will always have a big place in my heart and we'll always consider y'all family!
@JLester31 I hope you enjoy taking Joe Maddon's hard dick up the ass.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 10, 2014, 09:49:15 AM
Boston fans are taking this well.

Quote from: @BigGameShaneO
Quote from: @JLester31To Red Sox Nation, I understand the disappointment. Boston will always have a big place in my heart and we'll always consider y'all family!
@JLester31 I hope you enjoy taking Joe Maddon's hard dick up the ass.

Oh my, I haven't heard that about Maddon!
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs