News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,886 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 10, 2014, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 10, 2014, 03:21:28 PM
1) Sign Masterson, McCarthy, or Santana
2) Trade prospects for Hamels
3) Roll with the guys you've got

Which do you prefer and why?

#2. Something built around Baez, Almora/McKinney and Edwards/Johnson. That still leaves them a good amount prospect firepower in the system and a rotation of Hamels, Lester, Arrieta, Hammel and Hendricks is about as good as it gets in baseball.

Lineup after April looks something like:

1. Valbuena - 2B
2. Castro - SS
3. Rizzo - 1B
4. Bryant- 3B
5. Soler - RF
6. Montero - C
7. Alcantara - CF
8. Coghlan/Platoon guy  - LF

They'd still have Russell, Schwarber, Almora/McKinney waiting in the wings, along with plenty of other mid-level options to fill in gaps.

Baez to Iowa?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 10, 2014, 03:47:36 PM

#2. Something built around Baez, Almora/McKinney and Edwards/Johnson. That still leaves them a good amount prospect firepower in the system and a rotation of Hamels, Lester, Arrieta, Hammel and Hendricks is about as good as it gets in baseball.

1. Valbuena - 2B
2. Castro - SS
3. Rizzo - 1B
4. Bryant- 3B
5. Soler - RF
6. Montero - C
7. Alcantara - CF
8. Coghlan/Platoon guy  - LF

They'd still have Russell, Schwarber, Almora/McKinney waiting in the wings, along with plenty of other mid-level options to fill in gaps.

Baez to Iowa?

Reading comprehension is critical. Baez is going to Philly for Hamels in this scenario, IDITO. A scenario I don't dislike.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on December 10, 2014, 03:50:37 PM
Reading comprehension is critical. Baez is going to Philly for Hamels in this scenario, IDITO. A scenario I don't dislike.

Or if they really want to go nuts this offseason, they can do the theoretical Hamels trade and sign Headley, who just costs money.

1. Valbuena - 2B
2. Castro - SS
3. Rizzo - 1B
4. Bryant- LF
5. Soler - RF
6. Headley - 3B
7. Montero - C
8. Alcantara - CF

That lineup, plus that rotation, is boner something something.

I've probably gone a bit overboard though.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

1. Valbuena - 2B
2. Castro - SS
3. Rizzo - 1B
4. Bryant- 3B
5. Soler - RF
6. Montero - C
7. Alcantara - CF

Baez to Iowa?

OK. Just looked at your lineup and skipped the rest.  I'm not on the Headley wagon. Only 1 year did he hit over 13 HR. Much more interested in Bryant at 3rd and left held for Schwarber if he doesn't make it at C. Love to find a bat for CF. Alcantara doesn't strike me as a long term solution there.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 10, 2014, 11:51:43 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 10, 2014, 11:42:04 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 10, 2014, 11:34:41 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 10, 2014, 10:27:41 AM
I know I need to get less mad at stupid people but the guys like Yellon and that Vlahos guy and that fucking Gieryna fellow who criticized every step of the rebuild because they were stupid, impatient twits and now want to say OKAY THEO YOU'VE WON ME OVER can rot. This was the plan all along and they spelled it out in clear terms at every stop. There was never any time where they didn't do exactly what they said they'd do, so fuck you. You don't get to act like they came around to your way of thinking or something.

Nicely played. That was so out of context that I read my own last name and my first thought was, "What a weird name."

I was proud of it. But really, fuck Yellon too. " I GET TO BE OPTIMISTIC NOW". DIE IN A FIRE.

Al is too busy having civil conversations:

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2014/12/10/7369619/jon-lester-dh-national-league#276556100

Wait.   That was satire.  Wasn't it?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 10, 2014, 04:15:31 PM

1. Valbuena - 2B
2. Castro - SS
3. Rizzo - 1B
4. Bryant- 3B
5. Soler - RF
6. Montero - C
7. Alcantara - CF

Baez to Iowa?

OK. Just looked at your lineup and skipped the rest.  I'm not on the Headley wagon. Only 1 year did he hit over 13 HR. Much more interested in Bryant at 3rd and left held for Schwarber if he doesn't make it at C. Love to find a bat for CF. Alcantara doesn't strike me as a long term solution there.

Headley's value is his defense but yeah I can't get behind that one either. I'd be more in favor of going for Kemp or Upton to hold down an OF spot this year than signing Headley, assuming Kemp's contract/Upton only being a one year rental to begin with would lower the prospect cost.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm not even really that sold on Headley either. I'd probably rather see them live with a bit of a LF black hole for a year and get a better idea what they have in Bryant, Soler, Schwarber, etc., then address that need either midseason or next winter. Just mentioned it as a way they could shore that up a bit going into 2015 if they were totally all-in.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 10, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
I'm not even really that sold on Headley either. I'd probably rather see them live with a bit of a LF black hole for a year and get a better idea what they have in Bryant, Soler, Schwarber, etc., then address that need either midseason or next winter. Just mentioned it as a way they could shore that up a bit going into 2015 if they were totally all-in.

I can live with a Coghlan/Ruggiano platoon for a year.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

That's why I'd really be interested in Upton if they could get him without giving up too much presumably due to him not being under contract past this year. You get a guy that can be a big part of contending in 2015, and then they could either try to extend him or let him go if they feel confident in the guys they've got coming up.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on December 10, 2014, 04:50:54 PM

That's why I'd really be interested in Upton if they could get him without giving up too much presumably due to him not being under contract past this year. You get a guy that can be a big part of contending in 2015, and then they could either try to extend him or let him go if they feel confident in the guys they've got coming up.

I believe the Cubs are one of the teams on Upton's limited no-trade list, which could complicate matters a bit.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on December 10, 2014, 04:45:33 PM

I can live with a Coghlan/Ruggiano platoon for a year.

Or Coghlan/Gomes.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 10, 2014, 04:59:34 PM

I believe the Cubs are one of the teams on Upton's limited no-trade list, which could complicate matters a bit.

the scuttlebutt is he may be willing to change his mind on that now that Lester has ended rebuilding forever.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on December 10, 2014, 05:00:20 PM

the scuttlebutt is he may be willing to change his mind on that now that Lester has ended rebuilding forever.

The Cubs were on his no-trade clause way back when he signed his deal after the 2010 season.  While the Cubs were bad that year (75-87) they were a pretty solid team the two years prior to that (180-142.)  There are plenty of teams that were way worse that weren't on his no-trade.  

So I don't think it's because he was worried about the rebuild or even the Cubs being crappy.  

I think he just hates the Cubs for some reason.  
Maybe the fans were mean to him once. Maybe someone he knows hated playing for the Cubs. Maybe he hates day games.

But pretty sure it's something.  

Either way, give me Hamels for reasonable prospects (Baez and Almora feels like plenty by themselves) and then also one more decent bat.  4 years of Hamels will go by awfully fast and I think even with that rotation they won't have enough immediate firepower (prospects needing time to adjust and all that) to win the next couple of years with that current lineup.  
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on December 10, 2014, 05:23:06 PM

The Cubs were on his no-trade clause way back when he signed his deal after the 2010 season.  While the Cubs were bad that year (75-87) they were a pretty solid team the two years prior to that (180-142.)  There are plenty of teams that were way worse that weren't on his no-trade.  

So I don't think it's because he was worried about the rebuild or even the Cubs being crappy.  

Maybe the fans were mean to him once. Maybe someone he knows hated playing for the Cubs. Maybe he hates day games.

Either way, give me Hamels for reasonable prospects (Baez and Almora feels like plenty by themselves) and then also one more decent bat.  4 years of Hamels will go by awfully fast and I think even with that rotation they won't have enough immediate firepower (prospects needing time to adjust and all that) to win the next couple of years with that current lineup.  

Stop trading Baez. Stop it. I don't want you to.

Also the day games thing might be a big deal to some. That and as a visiting player you could probably learn to loathe Wrigley pretty easily - renovations notwithstanding.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on December 10, 2014, 06:05:26 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 10, 2014, 05:23:06 PM

Stop trading Baez. Stop it. I don't want you to.

Also the day games thing might be a big deal to some. That and as a visiting player you could probably learn to loathe Wrigley pretty easily - renovations notwithstanding.

Seriously. Baez is the one guy I almost don't give a fuck about selling high or however Chuck would phrase it. Let him burn bright or fade out with the Cubs. I don't want to see him hit it big somewhere else because his ceiling, as unlikely as he is to reach it, is stratospheric. I give him every chance in the world and even a few chances after that.

I want him to figure it out more than anyone the Cubs have.