News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,932 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2014, 11:18:42 AM
So if this Rasmus thing happens I think I'm okay with that. Should I be okay? Is everyone else okay?

I think it's worth a shot. He's still in his prime years and has tons of power. He's been a 4-win player a couple of times, so there's definitely upside there. A lot of the knocks on him are that he's kind of quiet/sensitive (the horror!), and I've seen it speculated that Maddon might be the perfect fit for him as a manager.

I also don't want to just assume Alcantara is the everyday CF, so Rasmus could work nicely in a platoon partner there, since Alcantara is better from the right side. That'd also let Alcantara move around the diamond in a supersub type of role, if needed.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 15, 2014, 11:40:37 AM
So if this Rasmus thing happens I think I'm okay with that. Should I be okay? Is everyone else okay?

I think it's worth a shot. He's still in his prime years and has tons of power. He's been a 4-win player a couple of times, so there's definitely upside there. A lot of the knocks on him are that he's kind of quiet/sensitive (the horror!), and I've seen it speculated that Maddon might be the perfect fit for him as a manager.

I also don't want to just assume Alcantara is the everyday CF, so Rasmus could work nicely in a platoon partner there, since Alcantara is better from the right side. That'd also let Alcantara move around the diamond in a supersub type of role, if needed.

So we're agreed Penis wrong?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2014, 11:42:38 AM

I'm wrong that I hope Alcantara is good? 

Seams reasonable.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on December 15, 2014, 11:45:33 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2014, 11:42:38 AM

I'm wrong that I hope Alcantara is good? 

Seams reasonable.

Just wrong in that you only want him signed if he's automatically consigned to being a 4th OF behind a guy who has played all of like 50 games in his entire professional career in CF and who might also be bad at baseball.

Hoping Alcantara is good is not bad, hoping to win a lot of games in 2015 while just handing a guaranteed spot to Mendy when you're also going to be breaking in Baez and Bryant and Soler seems ill-advised.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I don't think an outfield consisting of Coghlan/Ruggiano/Rasmus/Alcantara/Soler is very exciting, but it's at least more stable than one without Rasmus. The platoon splits all make sense:

Career Splits (BA/OBP/SLG)
Coghlan vs. RH:  .282   .346   .425
Ruggiano vs. LH: .266   .329   .508

Rasmus vs. RH:   .257   .323   .465
Alcantara vs. LH: .244   .344   .410

That's all very back of the napkin stuff, but it seems like you'd have a good shot of above-average offensive production from both of those positions. And it's not a big commitment to anyone, which makes it easy for them to add an actual big OF bat next winter.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 15, 2014, 12:06:06 PM
I don't think an outfield consisting of Coghlan/Ruggiano/Rasmus/Alcantara/Soler is very exciting, but it's at least more stable than one without Rasmus. The platoon splits all make sense:

Career Splits (BA/OBP/SLG)
Coghlan vs. RH:  .282   .346   .425
Ruggiano vs. LH: .266   .329   .508

Rasmus vs. RH:   .257   .323   .465
Alcantara vs. LH: .244   .344   .410

That's all very back of the napkin stuff, but it seems like you'd have a good shot of above-average offensive production from both of those positions. And it's not a big commitment to anyone, which makes it easy for them to add an actual big OF bat next winter.

I'm totally fine with this napkin.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I ran into my BEST FRIEND EVER, Sahadev Sharma, while I was in Chicago and I asked him about the Lester vs Scherzer thing.  Basically, the front office was scared off by Scherzer's mechanics and didn't think he'd last the length of the contract.  Also, Lester's one blip on his career stats is when he was pitching for Bobby Valentine.  I think they sort of dismiss that year as the anomaly it seems to be.  Take that for what it's worth.

Furthermore, and this is my thinking, I don't particularly care if Mendy is bad in 2015 but drawing any conclusions on anything less than a full season's worth of PAs seems silly.  If they lose 85 games in 2015, does it really matter?  I would rather play the kids, let them succeed or fail or something in between and go for it all in 2016 when you can get even more pitching and have other guys (Russell and Schwarber) ready to add to the roster.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Oleg on December 15, 2014, 12:45:12 PM
I ran into my BEST FRIEND EVER, Sahadev Sharma, while I was in Chicago and I asked him about the Lester vs Scherzer thing.  Basically, the front office was scared off by Scherzer's mechanics and didn't think he'd last the length of the contract.  Also, Lester's one blip on his career stats is when he was pitching for Bobby Valentine.  I think they sort of dismiss that year as the anomaly it seems to be.  Take that for what it's worth.

Furthermore, and this is my thinking, I don't particularly care if Mendy is bad in 2015 but drawing any conclusions on anything less than a full season's worth of PAs seems silly.  If they lose 85 games in 2015, does it really matter?  I would rather play the kids, let them succeed or fail or something in between and go for it all in 2016 when you can get even more pitching and have other guys (Russell and Schwarber) ready to add to the roster.

I just splooged into this napkin.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

This is the thing, right here. Whatever they do this season, they are still very much a work in progress.

And Jepstink also know that this time next year they will get another opportunity to loosen up the purse strings. Especially if they're still lugging Jackson's deal around this season, then next year he's got a year to go on his deal, so he'll be easier to move, even if the Cubs have to eat a significant portion...hell, eating the whole last year is only $13 million, not a lot in baseball dollars. And even with Lester and Jackson on board, their payroll really isn't that bad. So there's room for them to go shopping.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Yeah, I would say it matters. 2016 probably is THE year for the major push but I'd be very disappointed if they didn't have a winning season or at least hang around in wildcard contention. A 77 win season would be a disappointment that would bring all kinds of shit down on the heads of Epstoyer and it would honestly be a serious bit of under-achieving based on most of the projects I've seen (almost all of which include the variable of Mendy being terrible, at least Streamer does anyway), so I'd have to question what went wrong.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
If they lose 85 games in 2015, does it really matter?

Hell, what does it matter if they don't have a winning record in 2016? Or 2017? Or 2018? The Sun is eventually going to burn out and life on Earth will cease to exist anyway, right?

But in a sports sense, sure it matters. We're all assuming that Lester probably only has 3-4 really good years left (hopefully not less) and you'd be wasting one of those. You'd also be wasting more cheap, prime years from Rizzo and Castro. And you'd be OK with the idea that it should take baseball's best and brightest collection of front-office minds FIVE FUCKING OFFSEASONS just to put together a major-league team with a winning record.

So yes, I think it matters.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 15, 2014, 01:19:26 PM

Hell, what does it matter if they don't have a winning record in 2016? Or 2017? Or 2018? The Sun is eventually going to burn out and life on Earth will cease to exist anyway, right?

But in a sports sense, sure it matters. We're all assuming that Lester probably only has 3-4 really good years left (hopefully not less) and you'd be wasting one of those. You'd also be wasting more cheap, prime years from Rizzo and Castro. And you'd be OK with the idea that it should take baseball's best and brightest collection of front-office minds FIVE FUCKING OFFSEASONS just to put together a major-league team with a winning record.

what he said

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I get not wanting the Cubs to cripple their financial future by chasing mediocre free agents this offseason but if we're talking a modest deal with Colby Rasmus to make sure there's a better chance this team has a productive outfield this season so they can win games in 2015 vs. just not signing anyone so that Mendy gets 500 chances to succeed or suck no matter what, that's not really a sacrifice I am willing to make anymore. Win games. If one of the kids has to sit the bench at this point (especially when it's Mendy, who wasn't even really considered part of the plan before a hot start at Iowa this year) to make that happen, I say let him.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Cue all the stupid Cubs fans freaking the fuck out that Lester is going to wear #34, WHICH IS KERRY WOOD'S NUMBER AND I DON'T THINK I LIKE THE IDEA OF ANYONE ELSE EVER WEARING IT EVER AGAIN FOREVER!  We are the worst.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on December 15, 2014, 01:24:41 PM
I get not wanting the Cubs to cripple their financial future by chasing mediocre free agents this offseason but if we're talking a modest deal with Colby Rasmus to make sure there's a better chance this team has a productive outfield this season so they can win games in 2015 vs. just not signing anyone so that Mendy gets 500 chances to succeed or suck no matter what, that's not really a sacrifice I am willing to make anymore. Win games. If one of the kids has to sit the bench at this point (especially when it's Mendy, who wasn't even really considered part of the plan before a hot start at Iowa this year) to make that happen, I say let him.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but Alcantra was always a top-100 prospect.

Quote from: Eli on December 15, 2014, 01:19:26 PM

Fine.  Point taken.  I just think there was always a plan in place and we're looking at year 1 of the turnaround.  In my mind, I was always expecting 2016 to be the year.  But, hey, if they want to go out and win next year, I guess I could live with that. But you don't have to make me like it!