News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,884 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 03:56:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on December 16, 2014, 03:48:12 PM
Quote from: Fork on December 16, 2014, 03:27:41 PM
It's early yet, but in Winter Ball in PR, Baez has 6 Ks in 11 ABs.

I keep hanging my hopes on Rizzo's disastrous first MLB stint showing that guys can bounce back (both were 21, similar mid-.500 OPS) to still become stars. But I don't feel very confident in it.

Baez played a better shortstop than I expected.  His hands, quickness...there was a fluid quality that I thought merited him to possibly rate higher than Castro defensively already, and I think Castro is greatly improved and is pretty good himself to be honest.  Maybe my expectations were so low for Baez upon hearing that he made 40 errors in 2013, but I think I saw enough of him to think he might be really, really good at that position.  And, if Baez really can play shortstop...if he can just cut down on his K rate a leetle, and drive up his ability to reach base somewhat, then I have to think he's a pretty valuable player if he's doing this while clobbering 30 home runs...for the Cubs or somebody else.
Yes.  He will hit 30 homeruns.  But his batting average will be .133, all of his 30 hits In 400 at bats will be homeruns coming in the late innings of 30 games that the Cubs will lose by a score of 7 to 1.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CBStew on December 16, 2014, 04:45:51 PM

I keep hanging my hopes on Rizzo's disastrous first MLB stint showing that guys can bounce back (both were 21, similar mid-.500 OPS) to still become stars. But I don't feel very confident in it.

Baez played a better shortstop than I expected.  His hands, quickness...there was a fluid quality that I thought merited him to possibly rate higher than Castro defensively already, and I think Castro is greatly improved and is pretty good himself to be honest.  Maybe my expectations were so low for Baez upon hearing that he made 40 errors in 2013, but I think I saw enough of him to think he might be really, really good at that position.  And, if Baez really can play shortstop...if he can just cut down on his K rate a leetle, and drive up his ability to reach base somewhat, then I have to think he's a pretty valuable player if he's doing this while clobbering 30 home runs...for the Cubs or somebody else.
Yes.  He will hit 30 homeruns.  But his batting average will be .133, all of his 30 hits In 400 at bats will be homeruns coming in the late innings of 30 games that the Cubs will lose by a score of 7 to 1.

Jesus

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 06:51:40 PM

Jesus

You alright over there, Stew?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 16, 2014, 09:44:26 PM

Jesus

He's not even bothering to worry about the math in this hypothetical scenario.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 16, 2014, 12:22:27 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on December 16, 2014, 12:12:16 PM
Quote from: Slaky on December 16, 2014, 11:50:44 AM
I heard they want Dexter Fowler or some kind of left handed hitting OF.

Probably won't be anyone that'll blow us away - something in line with the OF signings they made early in Theo's tenure. Which is fine.

Something I keep having to remind myself of is that Maddon has been known to use players creatively, at least that's what the narrative seems to be. I'm excited to see how he handles a pen, makes out a lineup, and uses the bench. It's going to be fun.

He's going to draw caricatures of all the players in the lineup directly onto the bench - with a pen - so they know exactly where to sit, when to hit etc.

At least that's the narrative. 

All the caricatures will show the players as their best selves and they will be very physically attractive with great smiles. It will be great for self-esteem and, subsequently, winning.

That's a terrible plan, caricatures by definition make the subject look ridiculous.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 17, 2014, 08:46:00 AM

Jesus

Yeah, I *was* going to point out that 30-for-400 yields a .075 batting average but I was rendered too apathetic to follow through.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
DPD.

The trope about "X Player only hitting homeruns when they're down needs" needs to be put down itself.  It was so often uttered back in the day about Sosa and, though I have gone to great lengths to criticize Sosa on many fronts, will freely point out that not only do home run hitters hit meaningless home runs in addition to many other varieties, but that Sosa himself assuredly has the franchise record for walk off home runs for the Cubs--which wouldn't include shit like hitting one 700 feet off Ugeth Urbina in an NLCS game which merely tied the game. 

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on December 17, 2014, 09:09:11 AM
DPD.

The trope about "X Player only hitting homeruns when they're down needs" needs to be put down itself.  It was so often uttered back in the day about Sosa and, though I have gone to great lengths to criticize Sosa on many fronts, will freely point out that not only do home run hitters hit meaningless home runs in addition to many other varieties, but that Sosa himself assuredly has the franchise record for walk off home runs for the Cubs--which wouldn't include shit like hitting one 700 feet off Ugeth Urbina in an NLCS game which merely tied the game.

The whole both needs?

I was just reminiscing about that Sammy shot a few weeks ago. That was a dadgum laser beam.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
DPD.

9, with the Cubs

As of 2010, was tied for 5th since 1950 in Walk-Offs: http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/8972

More fun:
QuoteFinally, some players have a flair for the dramatic. Here are the players (since 1950) with multiple career walk-off home runs when trailing with 2 outs.

Frank Robinson:    3
Sammy Sosa:       2
Shawon Dunston:  2
a bunch of others: 2

Both of those Dunston Home Runs were with the Cubes..
Huey, name them

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 17, 2014, 08:46:00 AM

Jesus

He's nostalgic for the halcyon days of Dave Kingman.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on December 17, 2014, 10:02:40 AM
DPD.

The trope about "X Player only hitting homeruns when they're down needs" needs to be put down itself.  It was so often uttered back in the day about Sosa and, though I have gone to great lengths to criticize Sosa on many fronts, will freely point out that not only do home run hitters hit meaningless home runs in addition to many other varieties, but that Sosa himself assuredly has the franchise record for walk off home runs for the Cubs--which wouldn't include shit like hitting one 700 feet off Ugeth Urbina in an NLCS game which merely tied the game.  

9, with the Cubs

As of 2010, was tied for 5th since 1950 in Walk-Offs: http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/8972

More fun:
QuoteFinally, some players have a flair for the dramatic. Here are the players (since 1950) with multiple career walk-off home runs when trailing with 2 outs.

Frank Robinson:    3
Sammy Sosa:       2
Shawon Dunston:  2

Huey, name them

I'm going to guess that I was in attendance for both of Sosa's--except I don't know if either of these were with 2 outs:  He ended an 0-19 streak by going yard off Paul Wilson in late April 1996 (after Dallas Green chose to intentionally walk Mark Grace in front of him) and went yard off of Tim or Todd Worrell of LAD in extra innings  of a Sunday night in an otherwise miserable 1997 campaign.  The funny thing was I nearly got into a fight with a group of people in the RF bleachers precisely because I had been ripping Sosa all game and they didn't like it.  Joke was on those asshats, though, because they left the park before Sosa would've given them a  grand FYC chance at me.

I also would've been in attendance for one of Dunston's--off of ex-Cub Heath Slocumb in the Summer 1995--I remember this because it was the first time I had ever seen a  lead-changing walk-off home run.  I was with my 2 older brothers and my dad and we were just a little behind home plate. I had commented to my brother, before the 9th inning began, of a funny fact I had heard on the broadcast of the day before--that Phillies 3rd baseman Charlie Hayes had apparently not yet made a fielding error all year.  Sure enough, after Brian McRae (I think) got on base with an HBP in 9th, the next hitter hit a roller that Hayes fumbled.  My brother and I just looked at each other.   Then Dunston took Slocumb deep (on the first pitch, if I remember correctly) in left field and a raucous celebration was had by all.

I do not recall the *other* time Dunston did this though.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on December 17, 2014, 10:52:27 AM
I'm going to guess that I was in attendance for both of Sosa's--except I don't know if either of these were with 2 outs:  He ended an 0-19 streak by going yard off Paul Wilson in late April 1996 (after Dallas Green chose to intentionally walk Mark Grace in front of him) and went yard off of Tim or Todd Worrell of LAD in extra innings  of a Sunday night in an otherwise miserable 1997 campaign.  The funny thing was I nearly got into a fight with a group of people in the RF bleachers precisely because I had been ripping Sosa all game and they didn't like it.  Joke was on those asshats, though, because they left the park before Sosa would've given them a  grand FYC chance at me.

I also would've been in attendance for one of Dunston's--off of ex-Cub Heath Slocumb in the Summer 1995--I remember this because it was the first time I had ever seen a  lead-changing walk-off home run.  I was with my 2 older brothers and my dad and we were just a little behind home plate. I had commented to my brother, before the 9th inning began, of a funny fact I had heard on the broadcast of the day before--that Phillies 3rd baseman Charlie Hayes had apparently not yet made a fielding error all year.  Sure enough, after Brian McRae (I think) got on base with an HBP in 9th, the next hitter hit a roller that Hayes fumbled.  My brother and I just looked at each other.   Then Dunston took Slocumb deep (on the first pitch, if I remember correctly) in left field and a raucous celebration was had by all.

Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 03:43:57 PM
Nah, I think maybe I just have an unhealthy aversion to nostalgia.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
DPD.

The trope about "X Player only hitting homeruns when they're down needs" needs to be put down itself.  It was so often uttered back in the day about Sosa and, though I have gone to great lengths to criticize Sosa on many fronts, will freely point out that not only do home run hitters hit meaningless home runs in addition to many other varieties, but that Sosa himself assuredly has the franchise record for walk off home runs for the Cubs--which wouldn't include shit like hitting one 700 feet off Ugeth Urbina in an NLCS game which merely tied the game.  

9, with the Cubs

More fun:

Huey, name them

The Paul Wilson one was 5/3/96. Impressive. Todd Worrell one is correct, too

Dunston: 7/29/95 and Slocumb is right.

He did the other on the first game of a double header in 1990 against Craig Lefferts and SD

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
DPD.

9, with the Cubs

More fun:

Huey, name them

Rackytack'd.

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.