News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,887 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on December 17, 2014, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: PANK! on December 17, 2014, 10:52:27 AM
I'm going to guess that I was in attendance for both of Sosa's--except I don't know if either of these were with 2 outs:  He ended an 0-19 streak by going yard off Paul Wilson in late April 1996 (after Dallas Green chose to intentionally walk Mark Grace in front of him) and went yard off of Tim or Todd Worrell of LAD in extra innings  of a Sunday night in an otherwise miserable 1997 campaign.  The funny thing was I nearly got into a fight with a group of people in the RF bleachers precisely because I had been ripping Sosa all game and they didn't like it.  Joke was on those asshats, though, because they left the park before Sosa would've given them a  grand FYC chance at me.

I also would've been in attendance for one of Dunston's--off of ex-Cub Heath Slocumb in the Summer 1995--I remember this because it was the first time I had ever seen a  lead-changing walk-off home run.  I was with my 2 older brothers and my dad and we were just a little behind home plate. I had commented to my brother, before the 9th inning began, of a funny fact I had heard on the broadcast of the day before--that Phillies 3rd baseman Charlie Hayes had apparently not yet made a fielding error all year.  Sure enough, after Brian McRae (I think) got on base with an HBP in 9th, the next hitter hit a roller that Hayes fumbled.  My brother and I just looked at each other.   Then Dunston took Slocumb deep (on the first pitch, if I remember correctly) in left field and a raucous celebration was had by all.

I do not recall the *other* time Dunston did this though.

Quote from: PANK! on December 16, 2014, 03:43:57 PM
Nah, I think maybe I just have an unhealthy aversion to nostalgia.

My unconscious ability to connect many events (many sports-related) to particular dates in time is not the same as nostalgia.  Trust me, as a Cubs fan, there is much I would prefer not to remember.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I also would've been in attendance for one of Dunston's--off of ex-Cub Heath Slocumb in the Summer 1995--I remember this because it was the first time I had ever seen a  lead-changing walk-off home run.  I was with my 2 older brothers and my dad and we were just a little behind home plate. I had commented to my brother, before the 9th inning began, of a funny fact I had heard on the broadcast of the day before--that Phillies 3rd baseman Charlie Hayes had apparently not yet made a fielding error all year.  Sure enough, after Brian McRae (I think) got on base with an HBP in 9th, the next hitter hit a roller that Hayes fumbled.  My brother and I just looked at each other.   Then Dunston took Slocumb deep (on the first pitch, if I remember correctly) in left field and a raucous celebration was had by all.

Obscure memories inside of obscure memories.

HUECEPTION.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on December 17, 2014, 11:16:35 AM
My unconscious ability to connect many events (many sports-related) to particular dates in time is not the same as nostalgia.

Intrepid Reader: Huey

"You know what Royko once said about nostalgia..."
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm going to guess that I was in attendance for both of Sosa's--except I don't know if either of these were with 2 outs:  He ended an 0-19 streak by going yard off Paul Wilson in late April 1996 (after Dallas Green chose to intentionally walk Mark Grace in front of him) and went yard off of Tim or Todd Worrell of LAD in extra innings  of a Sunday night in an otherwise miserable 1997 campaign.  The funny thing was I nearly got into a fight with a group of people in the RF bleachers precisely because I had been ripping Sosa all game and they didn't like it.  Joke was on those asshats, though, because they left the park before Sosa would've given them a  grand FYC chance at me.

My unconscious ability to connect many events (many sports-related) to particular dates in time is not the same as nostalgia.  Trust me, as a Cubs fan, there is much I would prefer not to remember.

I just want to take this opportunity to point out that Huey is definitely NOT a meatball.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on December 17, 2014, 11:25:40 AM

I just want to take this opportunity to point out that Huey is definitely NOT a meatball.

Definitely
not while I was in my 20's.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
These are the greatest two pages in Desipio history. I'll be talking about these comments 20 years from now.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Is there any way you can monetize this skill? Your recall ability is fucking amazing and freaks me out.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on December 17, 2014, 12:31:43 PM

Is there any way you can monetize this skill? Your recall ability is fucking amazing and freaks me out.

I guess I should add that Sosa hit another walk off homer two days after his bomb off Paul Wilson.  So he bookended a victorious weekend series win over the Mets with walkoff home runs in the first and third games.  I want to say the Sunday walkoff which won the series broke a window in the first-floor unit of the building on Waveland as Sammy's shot went through it on a fly.

And I do remember Dunston's *other* walkoff in 1990 now.  I had no recollection that it was against San Diego and Craig Lefferts but recall watching it at my cousin's kid's baptism in Franklin Park.  Pretty sure the Cubs lost the nightcap that day.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on December 17, 2014, 12:40:48 PM

I guess I should add that Sosa hit another walk off homer two days after his bomb off Paul Wilson.  So he bookended a victorious weekend series win over the Mets with walkoff home runs in the first and third games.  I want to say the Sunday walkoff which won the series broke a window in the first-floor unit of the building on Waveland as Sammy's shot went through it on a fly.

And I do remember Dunston's *other* walkoff in 1990 now.  I had no recollection that it was against San Diego and Craig Lefferts but recall watching it at my cousin's kid's baptism in Franklin Park.  Pretty sure the Cubs lost the nightcap that day.

If you were anyone else, I'd be certain you were fucking with us.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6byFOtAOLNM

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: CT III on December 17, 2014, 12:58:09 PM

If he were anyone else I would be convinced he just had really fast Google skills. But because it's Huey I know better.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I was also at the 1995 game in which Dunston homered off of Slocumb. I was in a section 114 or so (just on the 3rd base side of home plate) with a college friend from Dallas who was making his first trip to Wrigley Field.

Want to relive it?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on December 17, 2014, 02:27:04 PM
I was also at the 1995 game in which Dunston homered off of Slocumb. I was in a section 114 or so (just on the 3rd base side of home plate) with a college friend from Dallas who was making his first trip to Wrigley Field.

Want to relive it?

"The Cubs have turned victory into defeat into victory"

I miss Harry.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: flannj on December 17, 2014, 01:14:41 PM
Quote from: CT III on December 17, 2014, 12:58:09 PM

If he were anyone else I would be convinced he just had really fast Google skills. But because it's Huey I know better.

I used think I was really good at this sort of thing. And I even had a reputation for it back in Buttpuddle. Since I met Huey, I've realized I aint about shit.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm not even sure what I had for lunch yesterday.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck