News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,919 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 12, 2015, 11:33:52 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 12, 2015, 11:25:31 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 12, 2015, 11:18:30 AM
Quote from: SKO on January 12, 2015, 11:06:28 AM
I'm kind of settling right now for a Mark Trumbo who plays a decent 2B.

Same thing -- that'd be like a 5-win player.

Yeah but that's mostly a product of him playing 2B. I feel like hoping he can hit .217 with 25+ homers isn't unrealistic, and people seem to think he can stick defensively at 2B. I don't think expecting a shitty average/OBP, a decent amount of homers, and acceptable defense at 2B is woefully unrealistic for Baez. Probably just pretty unrealistic.

I read that Mallee is down there working with him in Winter League, so I don't think we should read too much into his numbers there since he's no doubt trying some new things. He's barely 22 and there's plenty of time for him to figure things out. It's fine that people have tempered expectations (which was probably needed; all those 50-homer dream projections were unrealistic), but I think it's swung a bit too far in the other direction.

Let's just trade him for Dexter Fowler before he bottoms out.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on January 12, 2015, 11:35:28 AM

Yeah but that's mostly a product of him playing 2B. I feel like hoping he can hit .217 with 25+ homers isn't unrealistic, and people seem to think he can stick defensively at 2B. I don't think expecting a shitty average/OBP, a decent amount of homers, and acceptable defense at 2B is woefully unrealistic for Baez. Probably just pretty unrealistic.

I read that Mallee is down there working with him in Winter League, so I don't think we should read too much into his numbers there since he's no doubt trying some new things. He's barely 22 and there's plenty of time for him to figure things out. It's fine that people have tempered expectations (which was probably needed; all those 50-homer dream projections were unrealistic), but I think it's swung a bit too far in the other direction.

Let's just trade him for Dexter Fowler before he bottoms out.

Then the cubs can just release Almora, he's awful.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I think if Bryant lives up to his projections, and Soler does what he did in the last 5 weeks of '14, then along with the established presence of Rizzo and Castro I'm fine with the numbers I threw out there for Baez.  I'm sorry you have a difficult time with the expectations pendulum swinging so far the other way, but like I said, in this context, I'd be more than happy with those numbers at this point in time.  More importantly, I feel that the team can live with it.  Call me crazy.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on January 12, 2015, 12:02:14 PM

I think if Bryant lives up to his projections, and Soler does what he did in the last 5 weeks of '14, then along with the established presence of Rizzo and Castro I'm fine with the numbers I threw out there for Baez.  I'm sorry you have a difficult time with the expectations pendulum swinging so far the other way, but like I said, in this context, I'd be more than happy with those numbers at this point in time.  More importantly, I feel that the team can live with it.  Call me crazy.

YOUR CRAZY
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on January 12, 2015, 12:24:04 PM

YOUR CRAZY

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

You're not crazy. My point was that the numbers you threw out would still be a really good outcome for Baez.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 12, 2015, 01:25:39 PM

You're not crazy. My point was that the numbers you threw out would still be a really good outcome for Baez.

I'm saying .220/.278/.440 with 24 homers and 203 strikeouts.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on January 12, 2015, 01:35:27 PM

I'd rather a .279 OBP

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on January 12, 2015, 02:06:09 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 12, 2015, 01:35:27 PM

I'd rather a .279 OBP

I'd settle for a .441 slugging.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Screw all you guys. Baez is going to hit .270/.320/.500 with 30 HRs and excellent defense at 2nd and send handwritten thank-you letters to everyone who believed in him all along (e.g. me) and lunch bags full of buttpuddle drippings to the rest of you.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on January 12, 2015, 03:13:53 PM
Screw all you guys. Baez is going to hit .270/.320/.500 with 30 HRs and excellent defense at 2nd and send handwritten thank-you letters to everyone who believed in him all along (e.g. me) and lunch bags full of buttpuddle drippings to the rest of you.

Hey I was the guy who said he may already be a better shortstop than Castro.  Hell, put Javy at SS and Starlin at 2B and I like my otherwise suspect projected numbers even more.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on January 12, 2015, 03:25:46 PM

Hey I was the guy who said he may already be a better shortstop than Castro.  Hell, put Javy at SS and Starlin at 2B and I like my otherwise suspect projected numbers even more.

Don't worry I've made note. Javy will probably take you and I out for an anchouive pizza to celebrate his season!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: R-V on January 12, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

Don't worry I've made note. Javy will probably take you and I out for an anchouive pizza to celebrate his season!

Hooray!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

French sausage on a pizza?  No thanks.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 12, 2015, 03:52:05 PM

French sausage on a pizza?  No thanks.

I was about to make a Chuck is wrong post but suddenly remembered and turned this into Chuck is Jewish.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.