News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 66,939 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 25, 2015, 04:20:59 PM
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Quote from: Rob ManfredI would be aggressive about using the clock over the long haul, I think it's a helpful thing in terms of moving the game along.  I think the second set of changes I would look at is related, and that relates to injecting additional offense into the game.  For example, things like eliminating shifts, I would be open to those sorts of ideas.  [Interviewer: The forward-thinking, sabermetric defensive shifts?] That's what I'm talking about, yes.  [Let's eliminate that?]  Mm-hmm.  [So all the work that the Cubs and/or Angels or whoever has done, you're willing to say I appreciate that, good idea, but it's killing the game in a sense.]  Yeah, I mean I think that you can-, look, we have really smart people working in the game.  And they're going to figure out ways to get a competitive advantage. I think it's incumbent on us in the commissioner's office to look at these changes and say, is this what we want to happen in the game.

What a dumb thought.  Hearing Manfred say listen up, you damn nerds, I'm on to you must send a chill up Theo's spine.

He will also give Ted Williams 400 hits retroactively.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on January 26, 2015, 10:36:25 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 25, 2015, 04:20:59 PM
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Quote from: Rob ManfredI would be aggressive about using the clock over the long haul, I think it's a helpful thing in terms of moving the game along.  I think the second set of changes I would look at is related, and that relates to injecting additional offense into the game.  For example, things like eliminating shifts, I would be open to those sorts of ideas.  [Interviewer: The forward-thinking, sabermetric defensive shifts?] That's what I'm talking about, yes.  [Let's eliminate that?]  Mm-hmm.  [So all the work that the Cubs and/or Angels or whoever has done, you're willing to say I appreciate that, good idea, but it's killing the game in a sense.]  Yeah, I mean I think that you can-, look, we have really smart people working in the game.  And they're going to figure out ways to get a competitive advantage. I think it's incumbent on us in the commissioner's office to look at these changes and say, is this what we want to happen in the game.

What a dumb thought.  Hearing Manfred say listen up, you damn nerds, I'm on to you must send a chill up Theo's spine.

He will also give Ted Williams 400 hits retroactively.

This is just complete dipshittery. The more I think about it the more dumbfounded I am. Hooray for another 20 years of numbnutted commissioning!

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
It won't happen. Baseball's pace of play is hurting it, not lack of offense. Rob Manfred I suppose could do something citing "the best interests of baseball," but unlike the Seligcard where people complained about the 91-71 team that missed the playoffs, no one's really bitching about shifts.

Fay Vincent tried to move the Cubs and Cardinals to the NL West, and were immediately sued by the Tribune and A-B. That (along with the imminent expiration of the CBA in which the owners wanted war) helped hasten his exit.

Selig's additions? Interleague play and expanded playoffs (owners were very much in favor of both as were some fans), All-Star Game (owners were not against it; do most fans really care as much as we here don't care for it?), replay (huge groundswell from owners and fans). Selig was bulletproof. Manfred is not.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on January 26, 2015, 01:17:59 PM
It won't happen. Baseball's pace of play is hurting it, not lack of offense. Rob Manfred I suppose could do something citing "the best interests of baseball," but unlike the Seligcard where people complained about the 91-71 team that missed the playoffs, no one's really bitching about shifts.

Fay Vincent tried to move the Cubs and Cardinals to the NL West, and were immediately sued by the Tribune and A-B. That (along with the imminent expiration of the CBA in which the owners wanted war) helped hasten his exit.

Selig's additions? Interleague play and expanded playoffs (owners were very much in favor of both as were some fans), All-Star Game (owners were not against it; do most fans really care as much as we here don't care for it?), replay (huge groundswell from owners and fans). Selig was bulletproof. Manfred is not.

This. A casual fan baseball fan with no rooting interest tuning in, say 1998, would have lot more interest in a crisply played 1-0 Maddux shutout than a 5-hour 10-0 Trachsel one. 
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on January 26, 2015, 01:35:51 PM

This. A casual fan baseball fan with no rooting interest tuning in, say 1998, would have lot more interest in a crisply played 1-0 Maddux shutout than a 5-hour 10-0 Trachsel one. 

I've seen some backlash the pace-of-play idea recently, with people basically saying "I'm fine with the slow pace because longer games mean more baseball" and I just can't agree. Dead air in between actual baseball events isn't more baseball; it's just dead air.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on January 26, 2015, 02:23:38 PM

I've seen some backlash the pace-of-play idea recently, with people basically saying "I'm fine with the slow pace because longer games mean more baseball" and I just can't agree. Dead air in between actual baseball events isn't more baseball; it's just dead air.

Agreed. I always enjoy it whenever some hitter takes a timeout for granted and just steps out of the box and the ump calls a strike on them. GET IT MOVIN, PALLY. I PAY YER CELERY.

But seriously, speeding up the Trachsels of the world would not mean less baseball and I'm all for it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on January 26, 2015, 02:35:59 PM
Quote from: Eli on January 26, 2015, 02:23:38 PM

Agreed. I always enjoy it whenever some hitter takes a timeout for granted and just steps out of the box and the ump calls a strike on them. GET IT MOVIN, PALLY. I PAY YER CELERY.

But seriously, speeding up the Trachsels of the world would not mean less baseball and I'm all for it.

I believe that speeding up pitchers too much would lead to more arm injuries. I say this with absolutely no data to back up my belief. I mean none. Don't ask me for any, I don't have it. Fuck you. But it's logical to me because I remember certain days in high school when I took longer on the mound because I was waiting for my arm to stop hurting. Rick Sutcliffe has spoken on this before as well.

What a terrible post this is.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: InternetApex on January 26, 2015, 02:51:47 PM
I believe that speeding up pitchers too much would lead to more arm injuries. I say this with absolutely no data to back up my belief. I mean none. Don't ask me for any, I don't have it. Fuck you. But it's logical to me because I remember certain days in high school when I took longer on the mound because I was waiting for my arm to stop hurting. Rick Sutcliffe has spoken on this before as well.

Source?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

You're welcome then.

Yes, it's a 2 1/2 hour kick in the balls.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

How many 1-0 games were there in 1998, when batboys were hitting 25 home runs?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Brownie on January 26, 2015, 03:28:14 PM

You're welcome then.

Yes, it's a 2 1/2 hour kick in the balls.

I said with no rooting interest... Now I'm sad.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on January 28, 2015, 12:53:59 PM

168 PA's for Denorfia?  Seems low. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on January 28, 2015, 02:18:13 PM

199 for Bryant seems to be off by about 300.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 28, 2015, 02:23:24 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 28, 2015, 02:18:13 PM

199 for Bryant seems to be off by about 300.

Isn't PECOTA usually regarded as the most conservative of the big projection systems? If so this isn't surprising, and fairly comforting that they still think the Cubs are apparently a playoff team in the NL.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015