News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: National Tonkoon's Vacation  ( 51,139 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: National Tonkoon's Vacation
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 13, 2015, 10:51:29 AM
At first after I said that I was afraid I was going to Hell but at least now I know I have company.

We're all going to Hell, which is just going to be a huge Cheesecake Factory.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2015, 01:32:04 AM »
Okay chaps, we were looking at an Airbnb apartment in Boystown but it's now booked out, so I've found what appears to be quite a nice place up North, where you get a lot more bang for your buck, space-wise (this place is around 900 sq ft).  It appears to be about halfway between Wrigley and Northwestern, somewhere around W Touhy and N Ridge.  Seems like a decent - if quiet - area, and it's pretty close to Howard El and Rogers Park Metra (should we ever want to head North).  It's also close to the beach, which is important for us.

What do you reckon?  Fork, Huey, I'm looking at you guys because I think this is (was) your neck of the woods, no?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2015, 02:19:46 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 01:32:04 AM
Okay chaps, we were looking at an Airbnb apartment in Boystown but it's now booked out, so I've found what appears to be quite a nice place up North, where you get a lot more bang for your buck, space-wise (this place is around 900 sq ft).  It appears to be about halfway between Wrigley and Northwestern, somewhere around W Touhy and N Ridge.  Seems like a decent - if quiet - area, and it's pretty close to Howard El and Rogers Park Metra (should we ever want to head North).  It's also close to the beach, which is important for us.

What do you reckon?  Fork, Huey, I'm looking at you guys because I think this is (was) your neck of the woods, no?

The park and beach at Sheridan and Clark just south of the Northwestern campus were always nice too, if you're making a trip up to Evanston. I'd walk along the lakefill path east of the lagoon too. It's been years since I was there, though, so I wish I could help with info on the new rental spot.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2015, 03:13:37 AM »

DPD: just realised that this place is round the corner from Candelite.  All a y'all better have a good fucking reason why I shouldn't stay here.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2015, 06:15:26 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 03:13:37 AM

DPD: just realised that this place is round the corner from Candelite.  All a y'all better have a good fucking reason why I shouldn't stay here.

It's not exactly a great "walking-around-with-your-family-from-out-of-town" area.  If you're walking to/from the Howard St. El stop you'll want to do so during reasonable hours and not stop and make a lot of chit chat along the way.  Same goes for the Metra stop.  Also, I used to take my daughter to Touhy Beach and can attest to the fact that it's not exactly Shangri-La; bit of a mixed bag there.  I can promise you you'd be one of the few vacationing Europeans vacationing up there.  You may be a little more comfortable regularly setting up shop on the beaches around, say, Pratt and anything south from there but thn that might rule out a reasonable walk from Touhy and Ridge.  You can stop by Thrill's Magic Bachelor Pad though!

Not trying to rain on your joyful positive, but I'm not certain if be doing you any favors if I didn't at least provide you a fair and honest portrayal of that area.  Yes I know that area well (and let me add that I'm glad I no longer live there with my family).
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2015, 06:53:19 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 26, 2015, 06:15:26 AM

It's not exactly a great "walking-around-with-your-family-from-out-of-town" area.  If you're walking to/from the Howard St. El stop you'll want to do so during reasonable hours and not stop and make a lot of chit chat along the way.  Same goes for the Metra stop.  Also, I used to take my daughter to Touhy Beach and can attest to the fact that it's not exactly Shangri-La; bit of a mixed bag there.  I can promise you you'd be one of the few vacationing Europeans vacationing up there.  You may be a little more comfortable regularly setting up shop on the beaches around, say, Pratt and anything south from there but thn that might rule out a reasonable walk from Touhy and Ridge.  You can stop by Thrill's Magic Bachelor Pad though!

Not trying to rain on your joyful positive, but I'm not certain if be doing you any favors if I didn't at least provide you a fair and honest portrayal of that area.  Yes I know that area well (and let me add that I'm glad I no longer live there with my family).

Hmm.  Okay, thanks buddy.  Perhaps I need to rethink.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
I should point out that I actively shy away from touristy places: I have no wish to stay in sterile comfort and would much rather get out and about and experience a little bit - in as much as it's possible in only a few weeks - of real American life.  Those of you with whom I have spent some time will know that I have no interest in Navy Pier or Michigan Avenue and would much rather be at Cody's, say, or in DeKalb.  As long as the area isn't actually really dangerous - and I'm guessing it's not exactly South Side-esque - then I'm very happy for both me and the family to experience a bit of local culture and colour.

Additionally, we're really only looking at it as a jumping-off point for getting downtown and to the beach.  I wouldn't envisage spending any significant time in the area except overnight.

Bearing all that in mind, would you still warn me off?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2015, 08:24:05 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 07:25:31 AM
I should point out that I actively shy away from touristy places: I have no wish to stay in sterile comfort and would much rather get out and about and experience a little bit - in as much as it's possible in only a few weeks - of real American life.  Those of you with whom I have spent some time will know that I have no interest in Navy Pier or Michigan Avenue and would much rather be at Cody's, say, or in DeKalb.  As long as the area isn't actually really dangerous - and I'm guessing it's not exactly South Side-esque - then I'm very happy for both me and the family to experience a bit of local culture and colour.

Additionally, we're really only looking at it as a jumping-off point for getting downtown and to the beach.  I wouldn't envisage spending any significant time in the area except overnight.

Bearing all that in mind, would you still warn me off?

Okay, first of all, about Navy Pier.  Look--I get that you thrive more on the hidden gems and under-the radar spots that you have the benefit of indulging in by virtue of knowing people who live here (similarly I appreciated having family in Ireland growing up for the same reason--whenever we visited we got the insider's look and the experience is not the same for folks who don't have contacts on the ground etc.)...HOWEVER this sort of paint-by-numbers slagging that Navy Pier gets in particular is rather tired, in my opinion.  Sure, if you go there to eat and buy bullshit, overpriced trinkets than you deserve whatever scorn is heaped on you.  But at the same time, it costs nothing to visit, and you get a mile walk out on to the lake before reaching the end, whereupon you can turn around and take in a nice ole' view of the skyline that bolsters Chicago's reputation as the birthplace of modern architecture while being surrounded by beautiful Lake Michigan water on 3 sides.  Since you'll have your kids it'll give them a good chance to run around and  burn off energy (like I said, it don't cost nothin').  Sure, there may be a handful of fat annoying touristy folks getting in your way, and though it's free you'll still probably get suckered into throwing down some cash for the ferris wheel (but again--you at least get some cool looks of the city) and possibly an overpriced beer (again, to sip a cold one with that view is not something you'll hate) but if you're going to be here 30 days, and you're actually going out of your way to avoid Navy Pier because it's not a cool place to go is kind of going out of your way to be a hipster douche.  You're with your family--don't be that guy.*

So to staying in north Rogers Park.  Again, don't let me discourage you; if you feel strongly about seeing this location as a jumping off and return point to your day, that's fine.  But you're staying for 30 days and I'm just suggesting that toward the end of those 30 days you'll have grown weary of parading through the route of crazy, addicted and vagrant folks (oftentimes all 3 in the same person) on the way to the train  station.  I mean, I did it for over 5 years but I wasn't on holiday.  On the other hand, I'm sure you'll get more than a couple stories out of the experience that you can live off of for a while so knock yourself out.

*I'm not saying you need to go to Navy Pier--there are, after all, many spots wherein you can get a great view of the skyline for free (the bend around the Field Museum and Adler Planeterium jumps to mind), I'm just saying if you happen to be in the neighborhood and have some time to kill, there are worse things you can  do with it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2015, 08:32:45 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 06:53:19 AM

What Huey is saying is that the area around the Howard red line is fucking bad. You will get mugged and beaten.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2015, 08:33:11 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 26, 2015, 02:19:46 AM

The park and beach at Sheridan and Clark just south of the Northwestern campus were always nice too, if you're making a trip up to Evanston. I'd walk along the lakefill path east of the lagoon too. It's been years since I was there, though, so I wish I could help with info on the new rental spot.

Bear in mind, Chicago beaches are free, and taking wife & Tonklets to an Evanston beach would cost a small fortune. Although if you were going to do it more than twice getting Evanston beach passes would be a worthwhile investment.

The neighborhood isn't great. But that's the tradeoff...you're not going to get bang for your buck in Lincoln Park.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 26, 2015, 08:33:11 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 26, 2015, 02:19:46 AM
Okay chaps, we were looking at an Airbnb apartment in Boystown but it's now booked out, so I've found what appears to be quite a nice place up North, where you get a lot more bang for your buck, space-wise (this place is around 900 sq ft).  It appears to be about halfway between Wrigley and Northwestern, somewhere around W Touhy and N Ridge.  Seems like a decent - if quiet - area, and it's pretty close to Howard El and Rogers Park Metra (should we ever want to head North).  It's also close to the beach, which is important for us.

Bear in mind, Chicago beaches are free, and taking wife & Tonklets to an Evanston beach would cost a small fortune. Although if you were going to do it more than twice getting Evanston beach passes would be a worthwhile investment.

The neighborhood isn't great. But that's the tradeoff...you're not going to get bang for your buck in Lincoln Park.

Yeah, if you're okay being 10 miles or so from downtown but want to be along the lake, you might try taking a closer just a couple miles north in Evanston (in spite of Fork's presence).  Evanston has all of the same topographical and transport-access features of Rogers Park without all of the riff-raff. (well, Evanston has riff-raff but not necessarily along the lake...nice little downtown area of their own, too).

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 26, 2015, 08:32:45 AM

What Huey is saying is that the area around the Howard red line is fucking bad. You will get mugged and beaten.

I didn't want to be rude, but yeah.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »
Gonna sign my family up for Pank O'Hue's Walking Tour of Chicago because I think it sounds like a grand time.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 26, 2015, 08:45:05 AM
Quote from: Slaky on May 26, 2015, 08:32:45 AM

I didn't want to be rude, but yeah.

The area around Howard street is a bit iffy at best.  My general guideline is anything in Chicago North to Montrose or Evanston north of South blvd (but I am old, soft etc.)
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.