News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: National Tonkoon's Vacation  ( 51,149 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: National Tonkoon's Vacation
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 26, 2015, 08:24:05 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 07:25:31 AM
I should point out that I actively shy away from touristy places: I have no wish to stay in sterile comfort and would much rather get out and about and experience a little bit - in as much as it's possible in only a few weeks - of real American life.  Those of you with whom I have spent some time will know that I have no interest in Navy Pier or Michigan Avenue and would much rather be at Cody's, say, or in DeKalb.  As long as the area isn't actually really dangerous - and I'm guessing it's not exactly South Side-esque - then I'm very happy for both me and the family to experience a bit of local culture and colour.

Additionally, we're really only looking at it as a jumping-off point for getting downtown and to the beach.  I wouldn't envisage spending any significant time in the area except overnight.

Bearing all that in mind, would you still warn me off?

Okay, first of all, about Navy Pier.  Look--I get that you thrive more on the hidden gems and under-the radar spots that you have the benefit of indulging in by virtue of knowing people who live here (similarly I appreciated having family in Ireland growing up for the same reason--whenever we visited we got the insider's look and the experience is not the same for folks who don't have contacts on the ground etc.)...HOWEVER this sort of paint-by-numbers slagging that Navy Pier gets in particular is rather tired, in my opinion.  Sure, if you go there to eat and buy bullshit, overpriced trinkets than you deserve whatever scorn is heaped on you.  But at the same time, it costs nothing to visit, and you get a mile walk out on to the lake before reaching the end, whereupon you can turn around and take in a nice ole' view of the skyline that bolsters Chicago's reputation as the birthplace of modern architecture while being surrounded by beautiful Lake Michigan water on 3 sides.  Since you'll have your kids it'll give them a good chance to run around and  burn off energy (like I said, it don't cost nothin').  Sure, there may be a handful of fat annoying touristy folks getting in your way, and though it's free you'll still probably get suckered into throwing down some cash for the ferris wheel (but again--you at least get some cool looks of the city) and possibly an overpriced beer (again, to sip a cold one with that view is not something you'll hate) but if you're going to be here 30 days, and you're actually going out of your way to avoid Navy Pier because it's not a cool place to go is kind of going out of your way to be a hipster douche.  You're with your family--don't be that guy.*

So to staying in north Rogers Park.  Again, don't let me discourage you; if you feel strongly about seeing this location as a jumping off and return point to your day, that's fine.  But you're staying for 30 days and I'm just suggesting that toward the end of those 30 days you'll have grown weary of parading through the route of crazy, addicted and vagrant folks (oftentimes all 3 in the same person) on the way to the train  station.  I mean, I did it for over 5 years but I wasn't on holiday.  On the other hand, I'm sure you'll get more than a couple stories out of the experience that you can live off of for a while so knock yourself out.

*I'm not saying you need to go to Navy Pier--there are, after all, many spots wherein you can get a great view of the skyline for free (the bend around the Field Museum and Adler Planeterium jumps to mind), I'm just saying if you happen to be in the neighborhood and have some time to kill, there are worse things you can  do with it.

Have a cup of coffee and a deep breath, old buddy.  I've been to Navy Pier (the first time I was in Chicago) and it was fine.  You're absolutely right about the walk and the view.  What I should have perhaps said was "the grockle shops that are on Navy Pier", but I was just using it as lazy shorthand for the kind of stuff that tourists do because they don't have any better ideas.  I know you know what I mean.  Anyway, your advice is much appreciated: that apartment is out.

Anyway, what about Humboldt Park (right on the edge of the park, round Kedzie and North)?  Or Logan Square/Bucktown (California and Fullerton)?  Andersonville (Ashland and Foster)?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 09:26:43 AM

Anyway, what about Humboldt Park (right on the edge of the park, round Kedzie and North)?  Or Logan Square/Bucktown (California and Fullerton)?  Andersonville (Ashland and Foster)?

Don't think you could go wrong with any of those.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 26, 2015, 09:28:47 AM

Depends on where in Logan Square.  It's gentrified in parts but still has plenty of pockets.  This is more true for Humboldt Park which is much improved since the 1970's and 1980's but can still be a little dodgy for out-of-town folk.

Andersoville, on the other hand, would be ideal.  I'd  try to find a place there.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 26, 2015, 09:34:15 AM

Depends on where in Logan Square.  It's gentrified in parts but still has plenty of pockets.  This is more true for Humboldt Park which is much improved since the 1970's and 1980's but can still be a little dodgy for out-of-town folk.

Andersoville, on the other hand, would be ideal.  I'd  try to did a place there.

Aha, you were just too slow.  I will indeed try to did a place there.  It's more expensive but looks really, really nice.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 09:36:16 AM

Andersoville, on the other hand, would be ideal.  I'd  try to did a place there.

Aha, you were just too slow.  I will indeed try to did a place there.  It's more expensive but looks really, really nice.

Humboldt is nice, but not anywhere really near public transportation to get to places.  Logan is the suburbs, but if you're near one of the two train stops, it's a short blue line ride down to the city, and close to the highway.  Plus a ton of places to eat and drink that are all legit and even some kid friendly stuff from what I hear.  There was even a breakdancing-fight thing going on in the circle yesterday afternoon that was fascinating to make fun of as we walked by.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »

Andersonville also offers you decent proximity to North Ave beach.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2015, 10:11:41 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on May 26, 2015, 09:44:55 AM

Also the neighborhood of hopleaf (one of the best beer bars in town) and a bunch of great restaurants, I second the positive on Andersonville.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on May 26, 2015, 10:11:41 AM

Also the neighborhood of hopleaf (one of the best beer bars in town) and a bunch of great restaurants, I second the positive on Andersonville.

THI

http://www.yelp.com/biz/takos-koreanos-chicago-4
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2015, 10:31:20 AM »

Yep. Lotsa good restaurants. "L" access. Lake access. Hopleaf is very good. George's Ice Cream and Sweets.  Good call.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2015, 10:59:49 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 26, 2015, 10:31:20 AM

Yep. Lotsa good restaurants. "L" access. Lake access. Hopleaf is very good. George's Ice Cream and Sweets.  Good call.

Wow: have I finally found something on which all of Desipio can agree?  Andersonville is booked from 2nd to the 18th August...

Will probably go with Humboldt Park/Wicker Park/Logan Square for the first week, pre-road trip.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »
Just as a matter of interest, by the way, will you get two adults and two kids into a taxi?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 11:03:53 AM
Just as a matter of interest, by the way, will you get two adults and two kids into a taxi?

do they have smartphones where you're at?
you'll want to get the Uber app and UberX it everywhere.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:37 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on May 26, 2015, 11:06:22 AM

Might be the first time I've said this, but: Listen to Dubbs.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »

On the subject of which, what about phones?  I'm know you can get a cheap burner for calls but can you also get a throwaway smartphone for calls and data?  I can use my European smartphone, of course, but with the roaming price of data it might be cheaper to get something local.

Fuck me, this holiday's going to cost me an absolute fortune.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2015, 11:54:57 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 26, 2015, 11:41:04 AM

On the subject of which, what about phones?  I'm know you can get a cheap burner for calls but can you also get a throwaway smartphone for calls and data?  I can use my European smartphone, of course, but with the roaming price of data it might be cheaper to get something local.

Fuck me, this holiday's going to cost me an absolute fortune.

Does your carrier offer any sort international add-on? When I came your way, I was able to add an unlimited international data plan for a month for like $20, then I just canceled it before the next billing cycle. Pretty painless.