News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: National Tonkoon's Vacation  ( 51,139 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: National Tonkoon's Vacation
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2015, 04:35:57 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 14, 2015, 03:33:17 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2015, 03:25:24 PM
Quote from: Tonker on July 14, 2015, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 14, 2015, 02:03:44 PM
Quote from: Tonker on July 14, 2015, 01:22:15 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 14, 2015, 12:55:25 PM
Quote from: Tonker on July 14, 2015, 12:33:49 PM
Took an UberX car (excellent, fast, cheap service: good shout, Dubbs) up to Logan Square this morning for breakfast - ATonk nearly shit herself with happiness when they brought her pancakes - and then walked back to the apartment via the park.  I guess it was nothing special really, but we ended up talking to all sorts of people on the way, checked out the 606, and then visited the big Puerto Rican supermarket on North and California and it was a really, really nice morning.  It was also really, really fucking long morning, having been up at 0530 with the jetlag.  At one point I asked STonk what time she thought it was and she replied "I don't know... about one?".  It was quarter past ten.

Shoulda come by the house as long as you were down the street

Where do you live, dude?

Logan Square.  Logan and California.  The northern suburbs.  I can barely see the skyline from the rooftop, so I know I'm still in the city.  Watch TV dude. 

We walked right through that junction this morning.  I was amazed to see that you have Starbucks in America, too.
If a Logan Square meetup is planned with the Dubbs and Tonker families, let me know. The Butthead clan would like to get in on that if possible. My boy has never met anyone from Australia. This will be a good learning experience for him.

TDubbs' wife is very nice. I'm sure your family will enjoy her company. She might even be nice enough to offset TDubbs being there.

How long are you staying in the area?  Thru the weekend?  Want to do a Parsons night one of these days?  Huge outdoor area and so much fried chicken that even Tonker, Fork, and SKO together couldn't eat all of it. 

CHALLEGE: ACCEPTED!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2015, 08:09:24 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 14, 2015, 04:35:57 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 14, 2015, 03:33:17 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2015, 03:25:24 PM
Quote from: Tonker on July 14, 2015, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 14, 2015, 02:03:44 PM
Quote from: Tonker on July 14, 2015, 01:22:15 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 14, 2015, 12:55:25 PM
Quote from: Tonker on July 14, 2015, 12:33:49 PM
Took an UberX car (excellent, fast, cheap service: good shout, Dubbs) up to Logan Square this morning for breakfast - ATonk nearly shit herself with happiness when they brought her pancakes - and then walked back to the apartment via the park.  I guess it was nothing special really, but we ended up talking to all sorts of people on the way, checked out the 606, and then visited the big Puerto Rican supermarket on North and California and it was a really, really nice morning.  It was also really, really fucking long morning, having been up at 0530 with the jetlag.  At one point I asked STonk what time she thought it was and she replied "I don't know... about one?".  It was quarter past ten.

Shoulda come by the house as long as you were down the street

Where do you live, dude?

Logan Square.  Logan and California.  The northern suburbs.  I can barely see the skyline from the rooftop, so I know I'm still in the city.  Watch TV dude. 

We walked right through that junction this morning.  I was amazed to see that you have Starbucks in America, too.
If a Logan Square meetup is planned with the Dubbs and Tonker families, let me know. The Butthead clan would like to get in on that if possible. My boy has never met anyone from Australia. This will be a good learning experience for him.

TDubbs' wife is very nice. I'm sure your family will enjoy her company. She might even be nice enough to offset TDubbs being there.

How long are you staying in the area?  Thru the weekend?  Want to do a Parsons night one of these days?  Huge outdoor area and so much fried chicken that even Tonker, Fork, and SKO together couldn't eat all of it. 

CHALLEGE: ACCEPTED!

I have no idea what Parsons is, but I'll be very happy to eat all their chicken.  We leave for Menver on Monday morning, so we're here until then and other than Saturday morning, have no concrete plans.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »
HTonk and I took our mitts and wandered over to Humboldt Park this afternoon to play some catch.  There were a couple of Puerto Rican guys there with their kids and they shouted us over to join in, so my son and I shagged flies in the sunshine.  It was one the greatest things I ever did in my life.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2015, 08:21:17 PM »
TPD

Went out with Chuck, PChuck and the younger Murtons tonight for dinner at a Cuban place on Armitage (Cuban sandwich very nice), and then to Margie's for sundaes and shakes (and lots and lots of fudge) afterwards.  The entire Chuck family - including real-life Chuck himself - is just an absolute delight, it's a privilege to spend time with them all, and we had a really, really great evening.  How can Internet Chuck be such a contrary bell-end?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2015, 11:48:11 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 14, 2015, 08:21:17 PM
TPD

Went out with Chuck, PChuck and the younger Murtons tonight for dinner at a Cuban place on Armitage (Cuban sandwich very nice), and then to Margie's for sundaes and shakes (and lots and lots of fudge) afterwards.  The entire Chuck family - including real-life Chuck himself - is just an absolute delight, it's a privilege to spend time with them all, and we had a really, really great evening.  How can Internet Chuck be such a contrary bell-end?

Weird isn't it?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: July 15, 2015, 07:36:58 AM »
Okay, guys: we're going shopping on State Street this morning and bearing in mind that it may take STonk a little longer than the rest of us to locate what she's looking for (women need more than shirseys, it turns out), is there something around there where I can take the kids for an hour to amuse them?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: July 15, 2015, 07:43:59 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 15, 2015, 07:36:58 AM
Okay, guys: we're going shopping on State Street this morning and bearing in mind that it may take STonk a little longer than the rest of us to locate what she's looking for (women need more than shirseys, it turns out), is there something around there where I can take the kids for an hour to amuse them?

This morning?  Like before bars/restaurants are open?  It's nice out you could sit on the rooftop of Rock Bottom and have lunch before the work crowd gets there.  If you're by the river, they're almost done over here with the riverfront walkway thing, so that's kind of cool now.  You can probably see a body floating around if you look thru the murkiness. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: July 15, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 15, 2015, 07:43:59 AM

This morning?  Like before bars/restaurants are open?  It's nice out you could sit on the rooftop of Rock Bottom and have lunch before the work crowd gets there.  If you're by the river, they're almost done over here with the riverfront walkway thing, so that's kind of cool now.  You can probably see a body floating around if you look thru the murkiness.  

I can't wait until you have your kid.  Your world will be turned upside down.

Tonk--I'd suggest walking them over to Millenium Park, not even two blacks east of State Street between Lake and Jackson or thereabouts. Don't  cost nothin' and you may well be able to stretch your time to an hour or even an hour-and-a-half just walking around.  Also what Dubbs said about the Riverwalk, which is kind of in the other direction north but if your woman be shoppin' for like 3 hours you can do both.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2015, 07:59:16 AM »
DPD. Speaking of the river, I'm also assuming an architectural cruise on the Chicago River is already on your agenda during your stay.  If not, it should be.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 15, 2015, 07:59:16 AM
DPD. Speaking of the river, I'm also assuming an architectural cruise on the Chicago River is already on your agenda during your stay.  If not, it should be.

Going with Bill and TJ + families on Saturday morning.  Very much looking forward to that.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:42 AM »

If her shopping takes her up Michigan (better stores, so I'm guessing it will), there's an interactive Chicago Sports Museum next to Harry Caray's in Water Tower Place that they'd enjoy.

Or you can take them to the Blackhawks store over on Michigan & Wacker, they've got some stuff over there too for kids, I think.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2015, 08:19:40 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 15, 2015, 07:56:16 AM
not even two blacks east of State Street between Lake and Jackson or thereabouts.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: July 15, 2015, 08:20:54 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 15, 2015, 07:56:16 AM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on July 15, 2015, 07:43:59 AM

This morning?  Like before bars/restaurants are open?  It's nice out you could sit on the rooftop of Rock Bottom and have lunch before the work crowd gets there.  If you're by the river, they're almost done over here with the riverfront walkway thing, so that's kind of cool now.  You can probably see a body floating around if you look thru the murkiness.  

I can't wait until you have your kid.  Your world will be turned upside down.

Tonk--I'd suggest walking them over to Millenium Park, not even two blacks east of State Street between Lake and Jackson or thereabouts. Don't  cost nothin' and you may well be able to stretch your time to an hour or even an hour-and-a-half just walking around.  Also what Dubbs said about the Riverwalk, which is kind of in the other direction north but if your woman be shoppin' for like 3 hours you can do both.

Dubbs may have underestimated what it takes to amuse a child, but the lunch tip sounds good.  Millennium Park seems like the answer to my prayers, indeed, although I probably should have been able to come up with that idea myself by this point in my Chicago-visiting career.  Thanks, Mike.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: July 15, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 15, 2015, 08:07:42 AM

If her shopping takes her up Michigan (better stores, so I'm guessing it will), there's an interactive Chicago Sports Museum next to Harry Caray's in Water Tower Place that they'd enjoy.

Or you can take them to the Blackhawks store over on Michigan & Wacker, they've got some stuff over there too for kids, I think.

I wouldn't shop on Michigan if it were the last Magnificent Mile on Earth.  What do you think I am, a tourist?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: July 15, 2015, 08:45:41 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on July 15, 2015, 08:22:21 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on July 15, 2015, 08:07:42 AM

I wouldn't shop on Michigan if it were the last Magnificent Mile on Earth.  What do you think I am, a tourist?

If you're looking for some non-touristy area to shop (well your "wife") I've been told recently that the North Ave/Sheffield area has some good stuff.  They've really rebuilt the whole surrounding area and it's nice too.  There are a bunch of lunch spots, including the recently opened Dinosaur BBQ.  We ate there the other day and it was pretty good.  Plus there is at least one park nearby for the kids to play.

Or you could take that 606 to Damen, walk south and there are a bunch of new places on Damen to shop at for her.  Plus the parks at the stops on the 606.  Plus Big Star to eat at.  And Dove's. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.