News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Whistling Past the Graveyard 2015  ( 14,245 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Whistling Past the Graveyard 2015
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 03:32:49 PM »
I thought Thrill would start having difficulty in maintaining the high level of quality which he brings to the presentation of his annual Desipio Dead Pool since expectations have grown so great etc.

But by unearthing that golden nugget letter from Al, he has managed to out-do himself.  Kudos, sir.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 03:34:49 PM »
Hey, this isn't the heyday of the Dose, only like 9 people would read it now.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »
Quote from: Andy on January 06, 2015, 03:34:49 PM

Give it a rest, Paul.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 06, 2015, 03:39:09 PM
Quote from: Andy on January 06, 2015, 03:34:49 PM

Give it a rest, Paul.

Seriously...our Head Moran only had to hold out about 60 or so more days before going a full year without commenting on his own messageboard.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 05, 2015, 10:36:42 PM

What Yellon may have thought of this take down is unknown since he never seems to have written to a comic again rather shifting his attention to Sports Illustrated where he had a letter published on May 20, 1974 (Yellon 1974).

My own morbid curiosity...

Quote from: Alvin Yellon, Highland Park IL

PUNISHMENT
Sir:
I just read the story about outrageous puns in SCORECARD ("Organ Stops and Desist," April 29). Sorry about this, but here is one more from a diehard Chicago Cub fan:

Reuschel on down and see the never Frailing Cubs. Start a Hooton and a hollerin' as much as you can. They're sure to beat the Cardenals and the rest of the National League clubs. With a Mitter like wald's behind the plate, how can they lose? Anyone can see they have the division title Mad-locked up (as well as Lockmaned). Monday or any day of the week the Cubs will win. You'll be seeing Morales of them come October.
ALVIN YELLON
Highland Park, Ill.

He's gotten worse since then.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 04:33:21 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 06, 2015, 02:54:40 PM
So, this is the first ever documented instance of Al writing an open letter?  I truly enjoyed the fact that he states in the first sentence of a letter he is sending to be published in the letters page of a comic book that said letter is "open".  What the fuck else could it be?  If it was closed, it wouldn't be published.

Also for the record:

1. Al bemoans the fact that controlling editors (in chiefs?) use their power to monopolize the content of their comic book letters page and  don't give him the freedom to talk about what HE wants.

2. Al declares that just because people have been reading DC Comics longer than him, that this doesn't make their opinions on DC Comics more valid than his.

At long last I have found it - the internet's Perfect Irony.  I hereby resign my position as arbiter of ironic things. The next time you have a question, please refer to this incident (and Al's ensuing career on the internet) and you should be able to judge for yourself.

Good night, and good luck.

It's ironic, but it also explains Al. He took this experience and instead of deciding to create a forum for free and honest expression he just realized that he wanted to be the one who gets to decide who gets to express their editor approved opinion.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 06, 2015, 04:13:14 PM

What Yellon may have thought of this take down is unknown since he never seems to have written to a comic again rather shifting his attention to Sports Illustrated where he had a letter published on May 20, 1974 (Yellon 1974).

PUNISHMENT
Sir:
I just read the story about outrageous puns in SCORECARD ("Organ Stops and Desist," April 29). Sorry about this, but here is one more from a diehard Chicago Cub fan:

Reuschel on down and see the never Frailing Cubs. Start a Hooton and a hollerin' as much as you can. They're sure to beat the Cardenals and the rest of the National League clubs. With a Mitter like wald's behind the plate, how can they lose? Anyone can see they have the division title Mad-locked up (as well as Lockmaned). Monday or any day of the week the Cubs will win. You'll be seeing Morales of them come October.
ALVIN YELLON
Highland Park, Ill.

That is literally one of the worst things I've ever read.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 06, 2015, 04:36:08 PM

PUNISHMENT
Sir:

ALVIN YELLON
Highland Park, Ill.

I restrained myself from posting that one. Figured it might be a bridge too far (and that Chuck might try to take credit for it anyways).
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2015, 04:33:21 PM
So, this is the first ever documented instance of Al writing an open letter?  I truly enjoyed the fact that he states in the first sentence of a letter he is sending to be published in the letters page of a comic book that said letter is "open".  What the fuck else could it be?  If it was closed, it wouldn't be published.

Also for the record:

1. Al bemoans the fact that controlling editors (in chiefs?) use their power to monopolize the content of their comic book letters page and  don't give him the freedom to talk about what HE wants.

2. Al declares that just because people have been reading DC Comics longer than him, that this doesn't make their opinions on DC Comics more valid than his.

At long last I have found it - the internet's Perfect Irony.  I hereby resign my position as arbiter of ironic things. The next time you have a question, please refer to this incident (and Al's ensuing career on the internet) and you should be able to judge for yourself.

It's ironic, but it also explains Al. He took this experience and instead of deciding to create a forum for free and honest expression he just realized that he wanted to be the one who gets to decide who gets to express their editor approved opinion.

This. You can see him getting pwned at such a young age and deciding that someday he'd show them all!
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 06, 2015, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2015, 04:33:21 PM

Also for the record:

This. You can see him getting pwned at such a young age and deciding that someday he'd show them all!

To fit the comic book motif, that's a bog-standard supervillain origin.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 06, 2015, 04:48:54 PM

PUNISHMENT
Sir:

ALVIN YELLON
Highland Park, Ill.

I restrained myself from posting that one. Figured it might be a bridge too far (and that Chuck might try to take credit for it anyways).

Nah. You got all the credit.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 06, 2015, 06:52:11 PM

PUNISHMENT
Sir:

ALVIN YELLON
Highland Park, Ill.

Nah. You got all the credit.

(I meant you'd take the credit for Al's puns. Something something Dead Parrot.)
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »
Has anyone (or Google Alerts) brought this to Al's attention yet?  "I still think the editors were wrong.  Harrumph.  BANNED."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 03:10:01 AM »

PUNISHMENT
Sir:

ALVIN YELLON
Highland Park, Ill.

Racist.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 03:44:16 AM »
Quote from: Wheezer on January 07, 2015, 03:10:01 AM

PUNISHMENT
Sir:

ALVIN YELLON
Highland Park, Ill.

Racist.

In a stunning development, I don't understand this Wheezer post.  Is your profile picture a screenshot from "The Goodies", though?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.