News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: American Sniper  ( 10,014 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
American Sniper
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
I once assumed that Clint Eastwood was far to the right of me on the political spectrum.  I don't think that my political orientation has changed, so maybe Clint has.  There are no overt anti-war speeches in this movie, but it is as powerful an anti-war movie that I have ever seen. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: American Sniper
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 09:20:03 AM »
Apparently not everyone sees it that way.

"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »
Quote from: Bort on February 08, 2015, 09:20:03 AM

They sound like four really nice people.  It reminds me of an old joke about the guy being asked by a psychiatrist what he saw in Rohrshach (sp?) inkblots.  He saw all sorts of sex acts.  At the end of the test he asked the psychiatrist if he could take the dirty pictures home overnight.  One sees what he wants to see in this movie.  The "Arabs" in this movie are seen at a distance of 1000 yards or a mile away.  To me the movie is about the impact of killing on the man who killed 160 Arabs. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
Quote from: Bort on February 08, 2015, 09:20:03 AM

Guessing this was each person's last tweet before running off and enlisting.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
I had no interest in seeing this movie after reading Matt Taibbi's critique but was invited by my brother to take my dad out to go see it a couple weeks ago.  I warned my brother that there'd be a risk that I'd ruin everyone's night by hating the movie but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated (or as shallow as Tabbi describes).  I do like Stew's point that this actually would serve as an anti-war movie.  There's no hiding the fact that the protagonist is pretty messed up and, even though his surprise death seems like the destruction of his family, there are a few scenes depicting the complicated relationship between he and his wife which is marked by his remoteness and distance, and the constant communication issues that go along with this behavior, behavior which Eastwood leaves no doubt is a direct result of the protagonists's tours in Afghanistan.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 11:05:17 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 11, 2015, 10:57:52 AM
I had no interest in seeing this movie after reading Matt Taibbi's critique but was invited by my brother to take my dad out to go see it a couple weeks ago.  I warned my brother that there'd be a risk that I'd ruin everyone's night by hating the movie but it wasn't as bad as I anticipated (or as shallow as Tabbi describes).  I do like Stew's point that this actually would serve as an anti-war movie.  There's no hiding the fact that the protagonist is pretty messed up and, even though his surprise death seems like the destruction of his family, there are a few scenes depicting the complicated relationship between he and his wife which is marked by his remoteness and distance, and the constant communication issues that go along with this behavior, behavior which Eastwood leaves no doubt is a direct result of the protagonists's tours in Afghanistan.

I haven't seen this, but I felt similarly about Lone Survivor. You could see it as pro or anti-war depending on your own bias or your own reaction to seeing people get shot, I guess. If you're the kind of shallow-hearted dipshit who thinks it's cool to "see ragheads get mowed down" or some of the shit I see on facebook, you're not really getting any deep message out of any war movie. If you're the kind of person that can't see anybody go through the kind of shit both sides go through in that movie, you'd probably come out thinking it's fairly anti-war just because it pulls no punches.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »
Quote from: SKO on February 11, 2015, 11:05:17 AM

I haven't seen this, but I felt similarly about Lone Survivor. You could see it as pro or anti-war depending on your own bias or your own reaction to seeing people get shot, I guess. If you're the kind of shallow-hearted dipshit who thinks it's cool to "see ragheads get mowed down" or some of the shit I see on facebook, you're not really getting any deep message out of any war movie. If you're the kind of person that can't see anybody go through the kind of shit both sides go through in that movie, you'd probably come out thinking it's fairly anti-war just because it pulls no punches.

I haven't seen American Sniper, but I don't see how anyone in their right mind could see Lone Survivor and come out thinking war is a good thing.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CBStew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »

I heard that Hollywood is planning a sequel titled "American Snipper".   It is about a mohel who takes tips.  I will be here in the Catskills all week.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 11, 2015, 06:40:17 PM

I heard that Hollywood is planning a sequel titled "American Snipper".   It is about a mohel who takes tips.  I will be here in the Catskills all week.

"He only took tips!"
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 11, 2015, 04:29:39 PM

I haven't seen American Sniper, but I don't see how anyone in their right mind could see Lone Survivor and come out thinking war is a good thing.

Does anyone think war is a good thing? It's a necessary evil more than anything, I guess.

I liked American Sniper because I like war movies and I like the military. I do think there are better recent movies about the military, though, as Zero Dark Thirty, Hurt Locker, and Lone Survivor were all better in my opinion.

Bradley Cooper was just okay...
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 02:32:23 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on March 31, 2015, 01:01:19 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 11, 2015, 04:29:39 PM

Does anyone think war is a good thing? It's a necessary evil more than anything, I guess.

I liked American Sniper because I like war movies and I like the military. I do think there are better recent movies about the military, though, as Zero Dark Thirty, Hurt Locker, and Lone Survivor were all better in my opinion.

Bradley Cooper was just okay...

I want a new Top Gun except with the A-10 Warthog.  GROW SUM BALLS U HOLLYWEIRD LIBS!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?