News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Birdman  ( 12,015 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Birdman
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:09 AM »
So did anyone even fucking see this thing?

Is it any good? I have heard only from people who think it's just some visionary masterpiece and people so incensed at it for being pretentious garbage they walked out of the theater.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Birdman
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 23, 2015, 09:31:09 AM

Is it any good? I have heard only from people who think it's just some visionary masterpiece and people so incensed at it for being pretentious garbage they walked out of the theater.

"Pretentious garbage"?  That is my kind of movie!  My TV has been trying to get me to watch it.  Maybe I will.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 23, 2015, 09:36:55 AM

"Pretentious garbage"?  That is my kind of movie!  My TV has been trying to get me to watch it.  Maybe I will.

Stew didn't even see this? WHO SAW THIS MOVIE
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on February 23, 2015, 09:49:31 AM

It's on demand now so I'm sure we'll be seeing it pretty soon. Not before Inherent Vice though.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »

I did and I liked it, Keaton and Norton were excellent.
But I liked The Grand Budapest Hotel and Boyhood even more.
The Theory of Everything was my favorite of all the best picture nominees.
(haven't seen Whiplash yet)
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:28:25 AM »
Quote from: flannj on February 23, 2015, 10:25:30 AM

Saw Boyhood Friday evening. It's fine.  Nothing special in terms of story.  Amazing that they were able to keep the project together over 12 years. The last act seems partially culled from Before Sunrise.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 23, 2015, 10:28:25 AM
Amazing that they were able to keep the project together over 12 years.

Intrepid Reader: Michael Apted

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »

Saw Boyhood Friday evening. It's fine.  Nothing special in terms of story.  Amazing that they were able to keep the project together over 12 years. The last act seems partially culled from Before Sunrise.

Much as, in some ways, I'd love to watch it, I've been deliberately avoiding "Boyhood".  The prospect of watching a film about a kid growing up and leaving home scares the fucking willies out of me.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 12:17:57 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 23, 2015, 12:05:36 PM

"Pretentious garbage"?  That is my kind of movie!  My TV has been trying to get me to watch it.  Maybe I will.

Saw Boyhood Friday evening. It's fine.  Nothing special in terms of story.  Amazing that they were able to keep the project together over 12 years. The last act seems partially culled from Before Sunrise.

Much as, in some ways, I'd love to watch it, I've been deliberately avoiding "Boyhood".  The prospect of watching a film about a kid growing up and leaving home scares the fucking willies out of me.

When it happens it is absolutely soul crushing. You really wonder if your going to be able to handle it.
The good part is watching the amazing things they do with their lives. In the end it's very rewarding.

EDIT: I just realized this reads like I'm talking about the movie. I'm referring to REAL LIFE MAN!
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »

Much as, in some ways, I'd love to watch it, I've been deliberately avoiding "Boyhood".  The prospect of watching a film about a kid growing up and leaving home scares the fucking willies out of me.

Eh... Given how the movie goes, you're kinda glad he gets out.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
I saw Birdman on Saturday. It's great cinema. Very nicely shot. The acting was terrific. The whole thing is set within one theater so it's like a play, you know, the shots keep going and follow the actors and shit. Yay? It's sort of an adaptation of Michael Keaton's real life.

I think for people who are in show business this is probably the greatest statement about acting and writing and theater and whatever that anyone ever dreamed up. I spoke to a friend who is an actor and he fucking adored this film.

I was mostly bored. I'm sorry. I see the value here but I wasn't hooked.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 04:48:09 PM »

You have no idea.  We have four sons.  When the oldest moved out to go to college in 1980 the dynamic of our household changed.  Then every two years another moved out until all four were gone.  After 26 years Donna and I found ourselves with a very big empty house and a whole new kind of life.  Just wait until you start to think of yourself as a grandparent!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 23, 2015, 04:48:09 PM

"Pretentious garbage"?  That is my kind of movie!  My TV has been trying to get me to watch it.  Maybe I will.

Saw Boyhood Friday evening. It's fine.  Nothing special in terms of story.  Amazing that they were able to keep the project together over 12 years. The last act seems partially culled from Before Sunrise.

Much as, in some ways, I'd love to watch it, I've been deliberately avoiding "Boyhood".  The prospect of watching a film about a kid growing up and leaving home scares the fucking willies out of me.
You have no idea.  We have four sons.  When the oldest moved out to go to college in 1980 the dynamic of our household changed.  Then every two years another moved out until all four were gone.  After 26 years Donna and I found ourselves with a very big empty house and a whole new kind of life.  Just wait until you start to think of yourself as a grandparent!

Alright Stew, that's quite enough out of you.
*shudders*

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 07:53:14 PM »
DPD.

Mrs. flannj and I just got a call from the oldest, he's taking a break from law classes / studies and coming home for Sunday dinner and staying until Monday night.
Anything he wants is on the menu.

Tonk, I am sure that Stew would agree that these are the simple things you look forward to when empty nesting is your way of life.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:54 AM »
Quote from: flannj on February 23, 2015, 07:53:14 PM
DPD.

Mrs. flannj and I just got a call from the oldest, he's taking a break from law classes / studies and coming home for Sunday dinner and staying until Monday night.
Anything he wants is on the menu.

Tonk, I am sure that Stew would agree that these are the simple things you look forward to when empty nesting is your way of life.

Yeah, I can't even comprehend what that will be like. My in-laws took the kids over the weekend, and it was just bizarrely quiet.  The dog was going out of her mind trying to figure out what was happening.

Then they came back and my oldest said "You know dad, only 6 more years and I'll be able to drive" and I had heart palpitations.