News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Birdman  ( 11,954 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Birdman
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
Quote from: CT III on February 24, 2015, 08:47:54 AM
Quote from: flannj on February 23, 2015, 07:53:14 PM
DPD.

Mrs. flannj and I just got a call from the oldest, he's taking a break from law classes / studies and coming home for Sunday dinner and staying until Monday night.
Anything he wants is on the menu.

Tonk, I am sure that Stew would agree that these are the simple things you look forward to when empty nesting is your way of life.

Yeah, I can't even comprehend what that will be like. My in-laws took the kids over the weekend, and it was just bizarrely quiet.  The dog was going out of her mind trying to figure out what was happening.

Then they came back and my oldest said "You know dad, only 6 more years and I'll be able to drive" and I had heart palpitations.

Honest question--at what point will "driving" be completely automated, to the point where only us cool people get grandfathered in (and even then would not be allowed to drive on expressways)?  It seems like that point is not that far away and I figured it'll start to get implemented in our lifetimes Well, most of our lifetimes (sorry, Stew). 

CT's comment got me wondering as I have a feeling our kids may be the last batch where learning to manipulate a 2 ton ball of steel will be largely expected.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 24, 2015, 09:26:39 AM
Quote from: CT III on February 24, 2015, 08:47:54 AM
DPD.

Mrs. flannj and I just got a call from the oldest, he's taking a break from law classes / studies and coming home for Sunday dinner and staying until Monday night.

Tonk, I am sure that Stew would agree that these are the simple things you look forward to when empty nesting is your way of life.

Yeah, I can't even comprehend what that will be like. My in-laws took the kids over the weekend, and it was just bizarrely quiet.  The dog was going out of her mind trying to figure out what was happening.

Then they came back and my oldest said "You know dad, only 6 more years and I'll be able to drive" and I had heart palpitations.

Honest question--at what point will "driving" be completely automated, to the point where only us cool people get grandfathered in (and even then would not be allowed to drive on expressways)?  It seems like that point is not that far away and I figured it'll start to get implemented in our lifetimes Well, most of our lifetimes (sorry, Stew). 

CT's comment got me wondering as I have a feeling our kids may be the last batch where learning to manipulate a 2 ton ball of steel will be largely expected.

You are too late.  Last year I drove by the Google Campus and there was a moving driverless car.  There was a passenger in the car, I assume it was just in case.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:45 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 23, 2015, 02:21:39 PM
I saw Birdman on Saturday. It's great cinema. Very nicely shot. The acting was terrific. The whole thing is set within one theater so it's like a play, you know, the shots keep going and follow the actors and shit. Yay? It's sort of an adaptation of Michael Keaton's real life.

I think for people who are in show business this is probably the greatest statement about acting and writing and theater and whatever that anyone ever dreamed up. I spoke to a friend who is an actor and he fucking adored this film.

I was mostly bored. I'm sorry. I see the value here but I wasn't hooked.

The oldest filmmaking tip in the book: For Hollywood's everlasting adoration, make a dramatic movie about the Meaning of Hollywood.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 24, 2015, 11:52:45 AM
I saw Birdman on Saturday. It's great cinema. Very nicely shot. The acting was terrific. The whole thing is set within one theater so it's like a play, you know, the shots keep going and follow the actors and shit. Yay? It's sort of an adaptation of Michael Keaton's real life.

I think for people who are in show business this is probably the greatest statement about acting and writing and theater and whatever that anyone ever dreamed up. I spoke to a friend who is an actor and he fucking adored this film.

The oldest filmmaking tip in the book: For Hollywood's everlasting adoration, make a dramatic movie about the Meaning of Hollywood.

Birdmeh.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 24, 2015, 12:22:39 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on February 24, 2015, 11:52:45 AM

Birdmeh.

Take it elsewhere, boys.  This thread's for discussing other films, the circle of life, and hover cars.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
DPD.

As someone who's currently exhausted from my first, a 6-month-old (who's a great baby, but still a baby), I'm unsure how to feel about this. I know I'll miss the baby stage*, but it sometimes sounds fun to parent a child who's a little more self-sufficient. But I know every age comes with its own challenges.

Lesson: You never want what you currently have and life is very, very sad.

* Until we just have another one, I guess?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 24, 2015, 12:36:39 PM
DPD.

As someone who's currently exhausted from my first, a 6-month-old (who's a great baby, but still a baby), I'm unsure how to feel about this. I know I'll miss the baby stage*, but it sometimes sounds fun to parent a child who's a little more self-sufficient. But I know every age comes with its own challenges.

You're right.  Every age has its own memorable moments but, speaking for myself-- the period between ages 3 and 6 is the real sweet spot.  At 3 they're not only interpreting the world (which, to be fair, they've done since Day 1) but they have the ability communicate it, and it's kind of cool to be able to see how the world appears to them.  By 6 they're still largely innocent and haven't become good at lying.

Actually my 4 year old's a pretty good liar now, but only because he has an older sister who helped speed up the development.  So I'd say 6 is the end of that particular brand of innocence for your FIRST-born.  Just my $0.02.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »
DPD.

I don't miss the baby stage, at all.  The first six weeks of fatherhood were far and away the worst of my life.  Utterly, utterly fucking miserable.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 24, 2015, 01:10:38 PM
DPD.

I don't miss the baby stage, at all.  The first six weeks of fatherhood were far and away the worst of my life.  Utterly, utterly fucking miserable.

Terrifying, but miserable? No way.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »

http://hje.me/ci/sbox/day/2013/3/27/p150531765#p150531765

Quote from: TonkerWe're looking after a cat for a friend over Easter.

I hate it and wish it would go away.

http://hje.me/ci/sbox/day/2013/3/27/p150532237#p150532237

Quote from: TonkerI'm not kidding, I really fucking detest them. This is worse than the first time I got left alone with my baby son.

http://hje.me/ci/sbox/day/2013/3/27/p150532247#p150532247

Quote from: TonkerI knew far more about babies than I know about cats, and I knew fuck all about babies.

http://hje.me/ci/sbox/day/2013/4/3/p150667165#p150667165

Quote from: TonkerTurns out, cats are pretty low maintenance and quite nice to have around. I wish one of you would of told me that.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »

If I recall, you had a different experience than most parents.  Henrik had a bit of a scare, didn't he?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 24, 2015, 01:34:29 PM
DPD.

Terrifying, but miserable? No way.

Well, thanks for that - but I assure you, they were.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 24, 2015, 02:06:34 PM

If I recall, you had a different experience than most parents.  Henrik had a bit of a scare, didn't he?

Yeah, several.  It was pretty hairy, one way and another, but honestly, even if he'd been a picture of health, I'd quite possibly still have found it overwhelming and deeply unpleasant.  My whole fucking life got turned completely upside-down and I didn't like it one bit.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »
DPD.

Eli wants to drink with his kid

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 02:24:09 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on February 24, 2015, 02:09:23 PM
Yeah, several.  It was pretty hairy, one way and another, but honestly, even if he'd been a picture of health, I'd quite possibly still have found it overwhelming and deeply unpleasant.  My whole fucking life got turned completely upside-down and I didn't like it one bit.

I thought the first two weeks were awesome, since she was sleeping like 22 hours a day. Weeks 2-6 were pretty tough in a what-the-hell-have-I-done sort of way and are mostly a blur.

I've heard from very few dads who *love* having an infant, so I think this is a fairly universal thing. For whatever reason, new-dad struggles are something that isn't talked about a lot, so it came as a bit of a shock to me. I remember thinking that I was a bad person because I was certainly not "treasuring" every moment (as I was told to do by every old person at the grocery store). It still feels that way a bit, but less so even after a few months.