News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Odd Couple  ( 3,146 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Odd Couple
« on: March 13, 2015, 08:48:02 AM »
DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW.  It is an abomination.  It reflects everything that is bad about television. 
The Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau movie of the Neil Simon play was about two very real but poorly matched adult male roommates.  The TV series with Tony Randall and Jack Klugman took the believable storyline of the play and movie and stretched it out over several seasons and hundreds (?) of TV presentations and kept it entertaining because of the skill and professionalism of the actors and writers.  This version does not have good actors or writers.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that Matthew Perry is not only not a good actor, he is a terrible comedian.  What made the earlier versions work was the chemistry of the characters and the actors who played them.  There is no chemistry in this show.  Perry scowls and growls.  The director must have told him that sneering is funny.  Or maybe that is his only gesture.  I have forgotten the name of the actor who plays Felix Unger in this version.  Maybe I never knew it.  I don't think that he ever saw any of the earlier versions of this story.  Someone must have told him that the Felix Unger character was a closeted gay man.  That is the way he plays it.  So did Tony Randall, but Randall's Felix was likable.  This Felix Unger is merely annoying.   I can't believe that CBS hasn't put this show out of its misery.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Odd Couple
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
Yea. I wasn't going to.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »

I had to watch one episode to see if it would be worse than the Sally Struthers/Rita Moreno version on Broadway or the Ron Glass/Demond Wilson one from what, 20 years ago?

Holy shit, it's abysmal. I hope Perry at least invested his "Friends" cheddar wisely.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:39:11 AM »
I had no idea "The Odd Couple" had been recently reprised.

I do, on the other hand, remember this.

Edited to reflect the fact the Fork BLACKODDCOUPLEFACED me.

Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:41:59 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 13, 2015, 09:36:47 AM

Holy shit, it's abysmal.

That says it all.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 10:10:56 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 13, 2015, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: CBStew on March 13, 2015, 09:41:59 AM

Holy shit, it's abysmal.

That says it all.

So does this:

Quote from: CBStew on March 13, 2015, 08:48:02 AM
CBS

This is how bad CBS has gotten..."Two And A Half Men" was actually a better version of "The Odd Couple" than this was. And "Two And A Half Men" blew bals.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:23 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 13, 2015, 10:10:56 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 13, 2015, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: CBStew on March 13, 2015, 09:41:59 AM

Holy shit, it's abysmal.

That says it all.

So does this:

CBS

This is how bad CBS has gotten..."Two And A Half Men" was actually a better version of "The Odd Couple" than this was. And "Two And A Half Men" blew bals.

Exhibit 2: CBS renews "The Kat Dennings Has Cleavage Show."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 10:46:38 AM »
Oh man. I kind of didn't realize this was a real thing and now my heart hurts.

Despite my Shoutbox meme of loving big Broadway musicals and my real taste for more experimental theater, I've always been a fan of Neil Simon's consistent skill at writing "Well-Made Plays" and this sullies everything I like about him.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 11:20:25 AM »
Broadcast TV is just about dead. Cable is next. The HBO Now app is the last rites.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
I have forgotten the name of the actor who plays Felix Unger in this version.  Maybe I never knew it.  I don't think that he ever saw any of the earlier versions of this story.  Someone must have told him that the Felix Unger character was a closeted gay man.  That is the way he plays it.

I think that's legally the only character Thomas Lennon can play at this point.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 12:04:17 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 13, 2015, 11:20:25 AM
Broadcast TV is just about dead. Cable is next. The HBO Now app is the last rites.

So who's going to be the one to tell Chuck about Netflix, HuluPlus, ChromeCast, etc?
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 03:32:33 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 13, 2015, 12:04:17 PM

So who's going to be the one to tell Chuck about Netflix, HuluPlus, ChromeCast, etc?

Those guys were never a coax delivery. That a coax is, for the first time, allowing a streaming only option, is the towel being thrown in.

Starting to wonder if the CubsNet ever launches with a coax option. Cubs may have missed out on their 3rd party payday (Comcast / Time Warner) and may have to do it all in house. Probably more profitable in the long run to do it that way.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 13, 2015, 03:32:33 PM

Those guys were never a coax delivery. That a coax is, for the first time, allowing a streaming only option, is the towel being thrown in.

Starting to wonder if the CubsNet ever launches with a coax option. Cubs may have missed out on their 3rd party payday (Comcast / Time Warner) and may have to do it all in house. Probably more profitable in the long run to do it that way.

Eh, there's still some time to sort out who's going to be the Betamax and Laser Disc of this whole thing.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 13, 2015, 03:40:46 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on March 13, 2015, 03:32:33 PM

Eh, there's still some time to sort out who's going to be the Betamax and Laser Disc of this whole thing.

Yeah just because tech-savvy people are cutting the cord now doesn't mean that the Death of Cable is imminent. It'll hai at some point but it won't be in the next 5 or maybe even 10 years.