News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Chef  ( 9,718 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Chef
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »
I watched this last night on Netflix.   It is a terrifically entertaining movie.  Jon Favreau  has made some good independent movies, including "Swingers".  "Chef" is a little formulaic with a very Hollywood ending that contradicts the
premise of the rest of the movie.  Nevertheless it was engrossing.  Favreau plays a "celebrity" chef whose attitude gets him fired by the "celebrity" owner (Dustin Hoffman in a two scene throw-away part).  He buys a ramshackle food truck and quickly becomes nationally famous.  (I told you to ignore the plot).  You can substitute any occupation for that of cooking and the movie would be forgettable.  But because of the food, the shopping for it, the preparation of it and the enjoyment of it, this is a memorable movie and deserves cult status.  This probably sounds like I am a gourmet, or possibly a gourmand.  I am not.  Mrs. CBStew has been away visiting the grandchildren in Japan for two weeks and I have been contentedly living on canned soup and Subway sandwiches.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Chef
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:10 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on March 14, 2015, 11:36:35 AM
I watched this last night on Netflix.   It is a terrifically entertaining movie.  Jon Favreau  has made some good independent movies, including "Swingers".  "Chef" is a little formulaic with a very Hollywood ending that contradicts the
premise of the rest of the movie.  Nevertheless it was engrossing.  Favreau plays a "celebrity" chef whose attitude gets him fired by the "celebrity" owner (Dustin Hoffman in a two scene throw-away part).  He buys a ramshackle food truck and quickly becomes nationally famous.  (I told you to ignore the plot).  You can substitute any occupation for that of cooking and the movie would be forgettable.  But because of the food, the shopping for it, the preparation of it and the enjoyment of it, this is a memorable movie and deserves cult status.  This probably sounds like I am a gourmet, or possibly a gourmand.  I am not.  Mrs. CBStew has been away visiting the grandchildren in Japan for two weeks and I have been contentedly living on canned soup and Subway sandwiches.

I agree with all of this. It was one of the best films I saw all of last year. I work with a friend who has a food truck business and everything about this film was perfect with regard to that vocation. Favreau and John Leguizamo are funny as hell together too. You guys should all watch and talk about your sons in this thread afterward.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on March 17, 2015, 11:41:10 AM

I agree with all of this. It was one of the best films I saw all of last year. I work with a friend who has a food truck business and everything about this film was perfect with regard to that vocation. Favreau and John Leguizamo are funny as hell together too. You guys should all watch and talk about your sons in this thread afterward.

Nah, there's enough shit about SKO everywhere else.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »

Well fuck me then, I guess.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:25:48 PM »
Quote from: CT III on March 17, 2015, 04:15:27 PM

Well fuck me then, I guess.

*sniffs* C'mon, CT. Let's go over to the Nightcrawler thread.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 02:10:08 PM »
Chef is awesome. I agree the ending was totally cheeseball but that didn't even ruin it.

If you want a movie that makes you feel good about the hour plus you're spending staring at the TV this is it. Really well done.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on April 17, 2015, 02:10:08 PM
If you want a movie that makes you feel good about the hour plus you're spending staring at the TV hungry this is it. Really well done.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 17, 2015, 02:45:21 PM
If you want a movie that makes you feel good about the hour plus you're spending staring at the TV hungry like you'd like to slap your old boy between Sofia Vergara's yabbos, this is it. Really well done.

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on April 17, 2015, 02:56:28 PM
If you want a movie that makes you feel good about the hour plus you're spending staring at the TV hungry like you'd like to slap your old boy between Sofia Vergara's yabbos, this is it. Really well done.

You need to see a movie to feel that way?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 06:51:32 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on April 17, 2015, 05:23:23 PM
Quote from: Tonker on April 17, 2015, 02:56:28 PM

You need to see a movie to feel that way?

No, but it does remind me.  I'm getting older: sometimes I simply forget that I'd like to slap my old boy between Sofia Vergara's yabbos, you see.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.