News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,399 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2015, 02:39:31 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 21, 2015, 02:03:33 PM
The Cubs are currently 8th in batting WAR (and 4th in walk percentage, after finishing 23rd in that measure last year). They're 2nd in pitching WAR. Rizzo hasn't really hit for power yet, 2nd base has been a black hole of suck thus far, Lester has struggled, and two key cogs in the bullpen have been injured. What I'm trying to say gang is that this team is good and improvements from the aforementioned dudes should be able to compensate for regression elsewhere on the roster. I'm also asking that you kindly take your "small sample size" and "if you love WAR so much why don't you point out that they're almost dead last in defensive WAR" arguments and store them in your butt for now.

I don't think they're ever going to be a terribly stout defensive team but they should score enough to compensate.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 21, 2015, 02:39:31 PM
The Cubs are currently 8th in batting WAR (and 4th in walk percentage, after finishing 23rd in that measure last year). They're 2nd in pitching WAR. Rizzo hasn't really hit for power yet, 2nd base has been a black hole of suck thus far, Lester has struggled, and two key cogs in the bullpen have been injured. What I'm trying to say gang is that this team is good and improvements from the aforementioned dudes should be able to compensate for regression elsewhere on the roster. I'm also asking that you kindly take your "small sample size" and "if you love WAR so much why don't you point out that they're almost dead last in defensive WAR" arguments and store them in your butt for now.

I don't think they're ever going to be a terribly stout defensive team but they should score enough to compensate.

Definitely true as currently constituted. But just for shits & giggles, a Rizzo-Baez-Castro-Russell defensive IF would be solid, and Bryant definitely has the tools to be a pretty good defensive LF. I won't mention the possibility of Almora's plus glove in CF as I don't want Eli to spontaneously combust.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 21, 2015, 02:49:47 PM

Definitely true as currently constituted. But just for shits & giggles, a Rizzo-Baez-Castro-Russell defensive IF would be solid, and Bryant definitely has the tools to be a pretty good defensive LF. I won't mention the possibility of Almora's plus glove in CF as I don't want Eli to spontaneously combust.

The Almora OPS-O-Meter is now up to .705 so, hey, you never know*

*- Pretty sure I do know, and that he sucks.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 21, 2015, 02:52:38 PM

This is either a bit, or you're trying to force your own meme on us, or you really believe this.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's some combination of #1 and #2.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 21, 2015, 02:58:51 PM

This is either a bit, or you're trying to force your own meme on us, or you really believe this.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's some combination of #1 and #2.

Well I still have hope for the kid but how many guys put up the kind of numbers he posted last year and end up being actually good major leaguers? I'm legitimately curious. I know scouts still like him, I just can't get seem to get past the fact that his profile so far is a Starlin Castro who hits for less average and even less power. I'm concerned to say the least.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »

They're also leading the NL with an average of 3.94 pitches seen per at bat.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »

He doesn't suck. But it's time for people to stop lumping him in with the actual elite prospects in the system. He has a chance to be a nice, cost-controlled 2-3 WAR player for a few years, mostly from his defense and that's not bad (though maybe not what you ideally want from a top-10 draft choice). Maybe people still have a special attachment to him because he was this regime's first-ever draft pick?

This sums up my feelings about Albert Almora and I'll do my best to not continue my "bit" any further since I'm sure everyone is sick of it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2015, 03:19:14 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 21, 2015, 03:15:23 PM

He doesn't suck. But it's time for people to stop lumping him in with the actual elite prospects in the system. He has a chance to be a nice, cost-controlled 2-3 WAR player for a few years, mostly from his defense and that's not bad (though maybe not what you ideally want from a top-10 draft choice). Maybe people still have a special attachment to him because he was this regime's first-ever draft pick?

This sums up my feelings about Albert Almora and I'll do my best to not continue my "bit" any further since I'm sure everyone is sick of it.

Is there a decent player comp out there that would make me feel better about him? I've never really seen a scouting report that's given me much to work with other than "guys he's really young and he has tools and his personality is great."

But to answer Huey's point I was kinda doing the thing where I voice my fears out loud by saying a guy will suck even when I hope he doesn't. Is Slaky the only one who gets away with this?

do i have to get rid of punctuation to get a pass

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2015, 03:29:01 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 21, 2015, 03:19:14 PM
Is there a decent player comp out there that would make me feel better about him?

I'll throw out something like Aaron Rowand. Up to you if that makes you feel better or worse.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:26 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 21, 2015, 03:29:01 PM
Is there a decent player comp out there that would make me feel better about him?

I'll throw out something like Aaron Rowand. Up to you if that makes you feel better or worse.

Who wouldn't take the living embodiment of 2005 Sox Grinderball? So you're saying Almora has TWTW?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »
Quote from: SKO on April 21, 2015, 03:31:26 PM

Who wouldn't take the living embodiment of 2005 Sox Grinderball? So you're saying Almora has TWTW?

Only TWT.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »

80-grade "running into walls" tools don't grow on trees.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2015, 03:34:46 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on April 21, 2015, 03:32:48 PM

80-grade "running into walls" tools don't grow on trees.

Although Rowand's MILB numbers absolutely dwarf Almora's so yep still worried over here.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »
On this team I would take Aaron Rowand.

On this team I would take a powerless .270/.330/.380 gold-glove centerfielder.

I'm not "lumping him in" with elite prospects, and I don't care that he was first round pick. But am optimistic that he will fit in nicely here, his skills begin accentuated while his deficiencies are rendered irrelevant by the production of the players around him.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on April 21, 2015, 03:42:24 PM
On this team I would take Aaron Rowand.

On this team I would take a powerless .270/.330/.380 gold-glove centerfielder.

I'm not "lumping him in" with elite prospects, and I don't care that he was first round pick. But am optimistic that he will fit in nicely here, his skills begin accentuated while his deficiencies are rendered irrelevant by the production of the players around him.

So basically Darwin Barney in CF? I wonder why I can't seem to get excited about that...