News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,396 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2015, 09:12:23 AM »
So Tommy La Stella is dead for all intents and purposes and who knows when Denorfia will be back. Which means absent a trade the bench is going to be godawful for a while, with zero legitimate close & late pinch hitting options. Herrera, Baxter, Ross and Lake, left to right in my 2015 waking nightmare.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 20, 2015, 09:12:23 AM
So Tommy La Stella is dead for all intents and purposes and who knows when Denorfia will be back. Which means absent a trade the bench is going to be godawful for a while, with zero legitimate close & late pinch hitting options. Herrera, Baxter, Ross and Lake, left to right in my 2015 waking nightmare.

The bench is baffling. I know they've had a few injuries, but they hamstrung themselves for a lot of the season by carrying 3 catchers and, at one point, 14 pitchers. I'm not sure what the solution is. Maybe a trade or two. Maybe a Baez promotion. Maybe an aggressive Schwarber promotion. Definitely not Mike Baxter though.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 20, 2015, 09:37:22 AM

The bench is baffling. I know they've had a few injuries, but they hamstrung themselves for a lot of the season by carrying 3 catchers and, at one point, 14 pitchers. I'm not sure what the solution is. Maybe a trade or two. Maybe a Baez promotion. Maybe an aggressive Schwarber promotion. Definitely not Mike Baxter though.

I think they had hopes that Mendy would build on what he did last year and not regress like he has. If he'd taken a step forward he'd have been a great swiss army knife for Joe to have, add in La Stella and Olt and that's a fairly solid bench, add Javy to the mix as a starter possibly moving Coghlan to the bench at some point and that's even better. But the plan has backfired at every stop.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2015, 09:45:05 AM

I think they had hopes that Mendy would build on what he did last year and not regress like he has. If he'd taken a step forward he'd have been a great swiss army knife for Joe to have, add in La Stella and Olt and that's a fairly solid bench, add Javy to the mix as a starter possibly moving Coghlan to the bench at some point and that's even better. But the plan has backfired at every stop.

It's really just the injuries to La Stella, Olt and Denorfia that have been crippling the bench. Mendy's regression is also a thing, but if Denorfia, Olt and La Stella are all healthy...would we even have seen Addison Russell this early (I'm assuming Kris Bryant would have been called up regardless)?

I'm at least thankful that those guys were gracious enough to inflict wounds on themselves so that we could eat cookies. When the health returns--Neil Ramirez included--this team will be scary.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #379 on: May 20, 2015, 10:07:01 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhI0OVs_zj0

NSFW - Language.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: May 20, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »

The only guy they could have reasonably counted on from that group is Denorfia. Mendy, La Stella and Olt are all still completely unproven.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 20, 2015, 10:12:27 AM

The only guy they could have reasonably counted on from that group is Denorfia. Mendy, La Stella and Olt are all still completely unproven.

I guess but in an era where offense is down across the board and it's hard enough to find starters who can hit, does anyone really have a dominant bench? I can't blame them for not signing a bunch of Lenny Harrises and trying to bet on the potential of that group.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2015, 10:22:52 AM

I guess but in an era where offense is down across the board and it's hard enough to find starters who can hit, does anyone really have a dominant bench? I can't blame them for not signing a bunch of Lenny Harrises and trying to bet on the potential of that group.

You mean besides the fucking weird south California wizardry that's going on with Scott Van Slyke and Justin Turner and Alex Guerrero?  And, somehow, Andre Eithier is hitting well, too?  Can The Cubs have half of that?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: May 20, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on May 20, 2015, 10:44:30 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 20, 2015, 10:22:52 AM

You mean besides the fucking weird south California wizardry that's going on with Scott Van Slyke and Justin Turner and Alex Guerrero?  And, somehow, Andre Eithier is hitting well, too?  Can The Cubs have half of that?

I wouldn't worry about the Dodgers offense. They'll stop hitting as soon as we need them to beat the Cardinals.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »

I'd rather not count on guys coming off seasons when they posted a 76 OPS+ and were 34 years old, but carry on.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: May 20, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 20, 2015, 11:03:14 AM

I'd rather not count on guys coming off seasons when they posted a 76 OPS+ and were 34 years old, but carry on.

OK, so they couldn't count on anyone. I was trying to find a silver lining.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
4.2 IP, 9Ks for Wada. Just needed about 6-7 BBs and you could call him Tsuyoshi Harden

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: May 21, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on May 21, 2015, 09:34:36 AM
4.2 IP, 9Ks for Wada. Just needed about 6-7 BBs and you could call him Tsuyoshi Harden

He only threw 69 pitches, right? I think taking him out of the game was not terrible, especially against Norris with two men on.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: May 21, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 21, 2015, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Yeti on May 21, 2015, 09:34:36 AM

He only threw 69 pitches, right? I think taking him out of the game was not terrible, especially against Norris with two men on.

He's also just back from injury/rehab and may not be stretched out (||) all the way. Plus his triumphant jaunt from first to home seemed to take something out of him. Absolutely the right move. Nice to see the pen make it stand up for once. I had zero faith in any of them and kept being proven wrong, pitch after pitch after pitch.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.