News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,402 )

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #945 on: August 31, 2015, 01:45:02 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 28, 2015, 10:24:07 AM
Yesterday's game sorta felt like what the Cubs might be up against in a playoff. I'm not trying to be overly negative - I still very much believe in the plan and think things are going swimmingly, overall.

Thinking of it like this: the Cubs have to either beat St. Louis or Pittsburgh to get to the NLCS - maybe both. Pittsburgh's been knocking on that door for the better part of three years now. St. Louis has unquestionable credentials. The Cubs are just now showing up. Obviously anything can happen on any given day and Dan Haren certainly won't be starting a game in the playoffs. But with Bumgardner making every hitter look like an absolute moron and the Cards and Pirates both having top of the rotation guys who can and have already done the same - I just get the feeling the playoff game or games are going to be painful.

I'm prepping myself accordingly.

Me too.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #946 on: August 31, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on August 31, 2015, 01:45:02 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 28, 2015, 10:24:07 AM
Yesterday's game sorta felt like what the Cubs might be up against in a playoff. I'm not trying to be overly negative - I still very much believe in the plan and think things are going swimmingly, overall.

Thinking of it like this: the Cubs have to either beat St. Louis or Pittsburgh to get to the NLCS - maybe both. Pittsburgh's been knocking on that door for the better part of three years now. St. Louis has unquestionable credentials. The Cubs are just now showing up. Obviously anything can happen on any given day and Dan Haren certainly won't be starting a game in the playoffs. But with Bumgardner making every hitter look like an absolute moron and the Cards and Pirates both having top of the rotation guys who can and have already done the same - I just get the feeling the playoff game or games are going to be painful.

I'm prepping myself accordingly.

Me too.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #947 on: August 31, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »
Austin Jackson will provide outfield depth to the Cubs in a trade with Seattke. A player to be named or cash will head back in return.

Source: Internet.

I could not be more ok with this if I tried. I mean, I tried and it didn't work. I was still like, ok, Au-Jack it is. Welcome.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #948 on: September 01, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
Javier Baez, Quintin Berry, Trevor Cahill (forgot they even signed him), and Tsuyoshi Wada up today.  And they'll need to clear two 40-man roster spots.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #949 on: September 01, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 01, 2015, 07:36:40 AM
Javier Baez, Quintin Berry, Trevor Cahill (forgot they even signed him), and Tsuyoshi Wada up today.  And they'll need to clear two 40-man roster spots.

Options:

Dallas Beeler DFA
Jacob Turner to 60 day DL.
Jorge Soler to 60 day DL.

Please let it not be the last one on my list.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #950 on: September 01, 2015, 08:55:46 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 01, 2015, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 01, 2015, 07:36:40 AM
Javier Baez, Quintin Berry, Trevor Cahill (forgot they even signed him), and Tsuyoshi Wada up today.  And they'll need to clear two 40-man roster spots.

Options:

Dallas Beeler DFA
Jacob Turner to 60 day DL.
Jorge Soler to 60 day DL.

Please let it not be the last one on my list.

How the hell is Jacob Turner not already on the 60 day DL?

EDIT: He is, so that one is out. My guess is one of James Russell/Yoervis Medina/Eric Jokisch is DFA'd.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #951 on: September 01, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
so since Dan Haren is the Shawn Estes of this team (making Kyle Hendricks and his puppy dog eyes the Matt Clement), now is the time for the inexplicable complete game shutout of a hapless Reds squad, right?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #952 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 01, 2015, 09:58:45 AM
so since Dan Haren is the Shawn Estes of this team (making Kyle Hendricks and his puppy dog eyes the Matt Clement), now is the time for the inexplicable complete game shutout of a hapless Reds squad, right?

I'm ready. Let's go Dan.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #953 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 01, 2015, 09:59:42 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 01, 2015, 09:58:45 AM

I'm ready. Let's go Dan.

Yep. When they got Haren I theorized that they would really only need to win 3-4 of his starts to which he contributed in order for the team to be in good shape.  To date this has only happened once--his second start which came against the Brewers--and even then he couldn't make it out of the 6th inning but he did well enough, relative to his shittiness, to give him credit.  They won one other game he started--the crazy Saturday game against vs. Atlanta in which he was on no way helpful so I'm not counting that.

Tonight would be a good time for the second such start.  Come on, fucker.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #954 on: September 01, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
DPD.  Just took a closer look and in 5 starts with the Cubs Haren failed to record 17 outs (or 5 2/3 IP) in 4 of them.  In 21 starts with Miami, he only pitched 5 1/3 innings or fewer twice.

So this is either cause for optimism, as his performance with the Cubs has been remarkably less than what it was with the Marlins and he's due for a progression to his season standards, or it just means he's finished and the Cubs picked up a pitcher who is completely out of gas. Tonight will probably be a good indication of which is which.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #955 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 01, 2015, 10:23:41 AM
DPD.  Just took a closer look and in 5 starts with the Cubs Haren failed to record 17 outs (or 5 2/3 IP) in 4 of them.  In 21 starts with Miami, he only pitched 5 1/3 innings or fewer twice.

So this is either cause for optimism, as his performance with the Cubs has been remarkably less than what it was with the Marlins and he's due for a progression to his season standards, or it just means he's finished and the Cubs picked up a pitcher who is completely out of gas. Tonight will probably be a good indication of which is which.

It could have just been different bullpen usages by the managers...it seems Maddon is pretty quick once his backend starters get to the third time through the order.  This is Haren...he of decent K/BB ratios and giving up a good amount of hits.  If he can go 5 tonight without giving up more than a couple of runs, it's good enough for me.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #956 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 01, 2015, 10:29:34 AM

It could have just been different bullpen usages by the managers...it seems Maddon is pretty quick once his backend starters get to the third time through the order.  This is Haren...he of decent K/BB ratios and giving up a good amount of hits.  If he can go 5 tonight without giving up more than a couple of runs, it's good enough for me.

Well, you can judge for yourself I suppose.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #957 on: September 01, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 01, 2015, 10:31:11 AM

It could have just been different bullpen usages by the managers...it seems Maddon is pretty quick once his backend starters get to the third time through the order.  This is Haren...he of decent K/BB ratios and giving up a good amount of hits.  If he can go 5 tonight without giving up more than a couple of runs, it's good enough for me.

Well, you can judge for yourself I suppose.

I like a repeat performance of his first start against The Pirates with one fewer home run.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #958 on: September 01, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »

I think it's because Haren has sucked out loud his last two starts and given up 5+ ER before the 5th inning was through. Joe's quick hook has had nothing to do with it. If he can get back to being Miami Haren, fine, but he's been considerably worse than that as a Cub and it's not because Joe has pulled him too soon.

The good news is with expanded rosters I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe warm up Richard or Cahill or Wada before Haren even has the chance to get himself in too much trouble.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #959 on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:42 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 01, 2015, 10:44:36 AM

I think it's because Haren has sucked out loud his last two starts and given up 5+ ER before the 5th inning was through. Joe's quick hook has had nothing to do with it. If he can get back to being Miami Haren, fine, but he's been considerably worse than that as a Cub and it's not because Joe has pulled him too soon.

The good news is with expanded rosters I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe warm up Richard or Cahill or Wada before Haren even has the chance to get himself in too much trouble.

Shit, I'd be completely cool with Wada getting a start in his place.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16