News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015: The Back To The Future Season  ( 112,411 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015: The Back To The Future Season
« Reply #1200 on: October 01, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 04:37:35 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2015, 04:14:12 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 01, 2015, 03:36:58 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 01, 2015, 03:27:26 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 02:38:15 PM
Now officially the second winningest Cubs team of my lifetime (and really I barely count 89 as I was a year old). Can't believe this team's very likely going to finish with 95-97 wins.

And they'll be better for the next 5 years than they are now.

I certainly don't mean to be a buzzkill, and I totally understand that they should keep improving, but there's really no way in hell that they finish each of the next 5 years with over 96+ wins (~.590 winning %) 

I obviously hope I'm wrong, but the odds that any team wins at a >.590 clip for 5 straight years, in this age of baseball, is really unlikely. 

Even the Yankees amazing run from '98-'05 had 2 years under .590. 
Granted, they still won the WS one of those years.

At least I wasn't the one to say it, for once. Thanks, Pen!

When the 138 win 2018 Cubs win the Galactic Series you dipshits will regret doubting ol' Forklift

Well, as they are going to finish 3rd in the division this year, they could still do 'better' while winning fewer games.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1201 on: October 01, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »
It's crazy to look 5 years in advance but it's not really accurate to say that everybody has to improve in order for the team to improve.

Assuming they sign one more starter in the off-season, is it unreasonable to think they can give up 10 fewer run over the course of the year next year?
Assuming Russell gets better and they get a full season of Schwarber, is it unreasonable to think they can score 10 more runs next year?

Considering they are outperforming their Pythagorean W-L this year, it's not unreasonable to think that next year's team will be better but win fewer games.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1202 on: October 01, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 01, 2015, 04:59:32 PM
It's crazy to look 5 years in advance but it's not really accurate to say that everybody has to improve in order for the team to improve.

Assuming they sign one more starter in the off-season, is it unreasonable to think they can give up 10 fewer run over the course of the year next year?
Assuming Russell gets better and they get a full season of Schwarber, is it unreasonable to think they can score 10 more runs next year?

Considering they are outperforming their Pythagorean W-L this year, it's not unreasonable to think that next year's team will be better but win fewer games.

Do you, knowing Fork, think he was referring to improving their Pythagorean Record or Base Runs?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1203 on: October 01, 2015, 05:25:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 05:10:49 PM

Do you, knowing Fork, think he was referring to improving their Pythagorean Record or Base Runs?

What should the Blue Jays record be this year? They have an obscene run difference, and a record worse than the Cubs. (Sorry, too lazy to look it up myself)
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1204 on: October 01, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »

I was thinking more in terms of WAR - if Russell, Schwarber and Soler each put up 3s next year (I don't think that's pie-in-the-sky expectations), that's another ~5 wins. You're still improving if Arrieta regresses from god to demigod. Add another 4-5 win pitcher (Price, as an example), and we're shitting in some pretty fucking tall cotton.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1205 on: October 01, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »

Knowing Fork, he was being absolutely dead fucking serious, so I can see why you felt compelled to run in and set him straight.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1206 on: October 01, 2015, 08:13:04 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 01, 2015, 07:25:55 PM

Assuming Russell gets better and they get a full season of Schwarber, is it unreasonable to think th
ey can score 10 more runs next year?

Knowing Fork, he was being absolutely dead fucking serious, so I can see why you felt compelled to run in and set him straight.

Sprotz are hard.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1207 on: October 01, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »
Thomas Wilson on WGN this afternoon breaking down the Cubs. Also told a story how he was in Vegas. A guy asked him to place a bet on the Cubs to win the World Series for him this year because, if Biff made the bet, it had to come true.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1208 on: October 01, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 01, 2015, 08:46:30 PM
Thomas Wilson on WGN this afternoon breaking down the Cubs. Also told a story how he was in Vegas. A guy asked him to place a bet on the Cubs to win the World Series for him this year because, if Biff made the bet, it had to come true.

Is this spam?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1209 on: October 02, 2015, 01:07:31 AM »

Wait... we're allowed to use Pythagorean W-L, now?
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1210 on: October 02, 2015, 07:22:12 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 02, 2015, 01:07:31 AM

Oleg can, it's his right as an American. You can't, and I can detain you in Guantanamo for years if you try.

But also at this point the sample is big enough Pythag W-L is at least a tad more accurate, I suppose. I personally prefer to use base runs.

They're fairly close (pythag has the Cubs as 88-71, base runs has them as 91-68), but base runs digs a little deeper and goes beyond simply how many runs you scored/allowed and looks at how many runs you should have scored/allowed. It filters out a lot of the luck that the Cardinals have had this year in terms of stranding runners and sequencing, etc.

By base runs the Cubs should actually be leading the Central, with the Pirates (89-70) and Cardinals (89-70) tied for 2nd.

I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1211 on: October 02, 2015, 08:13:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 02, 2015, 07:22:12 AM
Quote from: Tonker on October 02, 2015, 01:07:31 AM

Oleg can, it's his right as an American. You can't, and I can detain you in Guantanamo for years if you try.

But also at this point the sample is big enough Pythag W-L is at least a tad more accurate, I suppose. I personally prefer to use base runs.

They're fairly close (pythag has the Cubs as 88-71, base runs has them as 91-68), but base runs digs a little deeper and goes beyond how simply how many runs you scored/allowed and looks at how many runs you should have scored/allowed. It filters out a lot of the luck that the Cardinals have had this year in terms of stranding runners and sequencing, etc.

By base runs the Cubs should actually be leading the Central, with the Pirates (89-70) and Cardinals (89-70) tied for 2nd.

firejoemaddon.com
TIME TO POST!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1212 on: October 02, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »
I think the Cubs can get better while not improving their W-L record. They had pretty good health luck with their top line players this year, Soler excepted. Had they missed significant time from any of the big dicks in the lineup or either of their staff aces, they'd have been critically fucked. That kind of thing could happen in a year or two and they could be better prepared to endure it, like the Cardinals did this year.

I hope this makes sense!!
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1213 on: October 02, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 02, 2015, 08:51:29 AM
I think the Cubs can get better while not improving their W-L record. They had pretty good health luck with their top line players this year, Soler excepted. Had they missed significant time from any of the big dicks in the lineup or either of their staff aces, they'd have been critically fucked. That kind of thing could happen in a year or two and they could be better prepared to endure it, like the Cardinals did this year.

I was just going to say the same thing. Being a better team doesn't necessarily mean they have a better record. It could mean it's easier for them to get to that record without relying on a historic season from their ace, or having great luck when it comes to injuries.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1214 on: October 02, 2015, 09:08:38 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 02, 2015, 09:07:52 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 02, 2015, 08:51:29 AM

I was just going to say the same thing. Being a better team doesn't necessarily mean they have a better record. It could mean it's easier for them to get to that record without relying on a historic season from their ace, or having great luck when it comes to injuries.

*headbutts Tony*
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.