News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why  ( 33,243 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 14, 2015, 10:56:11 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 14, 2015, 10:51:07 AM
Quote from: Tonker on May 14, 2015, 10:48:33 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 14, 2015, 10:29:11 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 10:15:00 AM
Quote from: PANK! on May 14, 2015, 10:03:35 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 14, 2015, 09:02:21 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 13, 2015, 09:52:14 PM
FYSKO!

(He's still shitty.)

Yeah.  Way to almost fuck up the at-bat by taking your bat off your shoulder against a guy who was nowhere near the strike zone his entire appearance last night.

Huh? Am I missing something? He walked on a 3-1 count.

Should've been a 4-pitch walk had Marty McPasty just left his largely-useless bat on his shoulders the entire time.

Really?  We're getting on guys for nearly not winning the game for the Cubs, now?  Tough crowd, man.

I'm posting in the Firebarn Chris Coghlan thread; I can pick as many goddamn nits as I want. 

We're not going to say anything about Soler doing that exact same thing though.

Well, at least we know who the REAL racists are.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 11:17:25 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 11:11:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 10:58:52 AM
FYSKO!

(He's still shitty.)

Yeah.  Way to almost fuck up the at-bat by taking your bat off your shoulder against a guy who was nowhere near the strike zone his entire appearance last night.

Should've been a 4-pitch walk had Marty McPasty just left his largely-useless bat on his shoulders the entire time.

Really?  We're getting on guys for nearly not winning the game for the Cubs, now?  Tough crowd, man.

I'm posting in the Firebarn Chris Coghlan thread; I can pick as many goddamn nits as I want.  

That's true. Gotta endure the highs and lows of young star prospects like Soler and Coghlan

I really don't understand...I 100% expect both of them to succeed in that situation. You can't sit there and say you expect Coghlan to fail so fuck him, but when he does succeed fuck him still? Just maybe think for a second that Chris Coghlan is not the one to firebarn, man. Edwin Jackson has a one-story, one-bedroom single light bulb firebarn full of dry twigs and lighter fluid ready and no one else belongs there.

Coghlan also made a couple nice plays in LF last night...didn't he throw someone out, too? Maybe it looks like he makes the plays despite his abilities, I agree on that, but at least he made them.

I'm saying fuck Coghlan for being 30 and shitty. Huey bitching about his approach to that walk is one thing, I'm saying even with that walk and homer he's still been fucking garbage.

I'm not mad at Jorge because he's a 23 year old prospect.  If you expect the same approach from a guy who has played like 60 major league games vs a guy who has been in the majors for six years, that's weird.

And for the last goddamn time what is this fucking finite hate reserve you are drawing from that doesn't allow you to hate more than one player? Pointing out the left fielder with the .669 OPS as worthy of scorn slows down my Edwin hate exactly zero.

Jesus the bullshit toleration in this joint.

I feel like you're reaching on hating Coghlan. His numbers are not impressive, but his peripherals say he's unlucky. So I'm going with "not time to hate yet" because the guy just won a game with a walk (that Huey thinks he could have walked a little better) and has made several solid plays in the outfield. I'm not mounting up for Chris Coghlan, but I am saying that you're finding the lowest hanging fruit in a strong lineup. And I get it, it's fun to be silly and crank up our hatewagons and hitch our hellish rides to whomever we feel deserves it. I just don't think Coghlan does.

And there isn't a one seat ride on the firebarn express, it's just that the way I see it the current roster only has one hateable guy and it's Jackson. Coghlan is lurking on the outside looking in, but he's not there yet for me.

This conversation is stupid.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2015, 11:47:10 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 14, 2015, 11:45:45 AM
FYSKO!

(He's still shitty.)

Yeah.  Way to almost fuck up the at-bat by taking your bat off your shoulder against a guy who was nowhere near the strike zone his entire appearance last night.

Really?  We're getting on guys for nearly not winning the game for the Cubs, now?  Tough crowd, man.

That's true. Gotta endure the highs and lows of young star prospects like Soler and Coghlan

I really don't understand...I 100% expect both of them to succeed in that situation. You can't sit there and say you expect Coghlan to fail so fuck him, but when he does succeed fuck him still? Just maybe think for a second that Chris Coghlan is not the one to firebarn, man. Edwin Jackson has a one-story, one-bedroom single light bulb firebarn full of dry twigs and lighter fluid ready and no one else belongs there.

Coghlan also made a couple nice plays in LF last night...didn't he throw someone out, too? Maybe it looks like he makes the plays despite his abilities, I agree on that, but at least he made them.

I'm saying fuck Coghlan for being 30 and shitty. Huey bitching about his approach to that walk is one thing, I'm saying even with that walk and homer he's still been fucking garbage.

I'm not mad at Jorge because he's a 23 year old prospect.  If you expect the same approach from a guy who has played like 60 major league games vs a guy who has been in the majors for six years, that's weird.

And for the last goddamn time what is this fucking finite hate reserve you are drawing from that doesn't allow you to hate more than one player? Pointing out the left fielder with the .669 OPS as worthy of scorn slows down my Edwin hate exactly zero.

I feel like you're reaching on hating Coghlan. His numbers are not impressive, but his peripherals say he's unlucky. So I'm going with "not time to hate yet" because the guy just won a game with a walk (that Huey thinks he could have walked a little better) and has made several solid plays in the outfield. I'm not mounting up for Chris Coghlan, but I am saying that you're finding the lowest hanging fruit in a strong lineup. And I get it, it's fun to be silly and crank up our hatewagons and hitch our hellish rides to whomever we feel deserves it. I just don't think Coghlan does.

And there isn't a one seat ride on the firebarn express, it's just that the way I see it the current roster only has one hateable guy and it's Jackson. Coghlan is lurking on the outside looking in, but he's not there yet for me.

We should get an apartment together.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »
I feel like you're reaching on hating Coghlan. His numbers are not impressive, but his peripherals say he's unlucky.

I think there's now confirmation bias with this narrative. Every time he hits anything that's not totally weak, people go on again about how unlucky he is.

His BABIP is definitely low but even if you allow for some correction, it's not like he'd be some great player. He's basically performing exactly as every projection system says he should at the plate.

The acceptance of his spot on the roster remains bullshit toleration.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 14, 2015, 11:54:06 AM
I feel like you're reaching on hating Coghlan. His numbers are not impressive, but his peripherals say he's unlucky.

I think there's now confirmation bias with this narrative. Every time he hits anything that's not totally weak, people go on again about how unlucky he is.

His BABIP is definitely low but even if you allow for some correction, it's not like he'd be some great player. He's basically performing exactly as every projection system says he should at the plate.

Who would of thought that a thread dedicated to the hatred of Chris Coghlan would contain one of the most meta conversations in internet history?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 12:04:29 PM »

Who would you prefer to see in LF? Lake? Szczur? Baez?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2015, 12:05:32 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 14, 2015, 12:04:29 PM

Yeah that was my next point...if not Coghlan, then what's the realistic alternative? It's probably not better than Chris Coghlan.

ETA: Unless the alternative is Bryant to LF and Baez called up at some point...

ETA 2.0: There was a thing on a website a few days ago that showed Coghlan has a low BABiP and the highest hard hit % in MLB all while being somewhat average in walking and striking out. There's definitely something to the unlucky ideal, right?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 11:34:05 AM
Since I wasn't around back then did people in '05 say you couldn't hate Todd Hollandsworth or something because he was decent the year before and hey isn't LaTroy MORE hateworthy? Because this seems odd to me.

I think we got tired of Hollandsworth pretty early on in 2005.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »

External candidate.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 14, 2015, 11:47:10 AM
FYSKO!

(He's still shitty.)

We should get an apartment together.

Got room for another 1.5?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2015, 01:24:41 PM »
Quote from: Eli on May 14, 2015, 12:29:57 PM

External candidate.

Cole Hamels
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2015, 02:14:33 PM »
I think Chris Coghlan is bad at baseball and I think the record backs me up on this. I really don't give a shit if you hate him or not. I find it odd anyone denies that he's bad or likely to be bad, though. I mean if it's suddenly wrong to want the worst guy in the lineup replaced because that's "low hanging fruit", okay? I prefer to continue to advocate my team replace bad players with good ones and I feel this strategy is the best, conventional wisdom be damned.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »
Quote from: SKO on May 14, 2015, 02:14:33 PM
I think Chris Coghlan is bad at baseball and I think the record backs me up on this. I really don't give a shit if you hate him or not. I find it odd anyone denies that he's bad or likely to be bad, though. I mean if it's suddenly wrong to want the worst guy in the lineup replaced because that's "low hanging fruit", okay? I prefer to continue to advocate my team replace bad players with good ones and I feel this strategy is the best, conventional wisdom be damned.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Coghlan, not Starlin. My mistake. Carry on.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2015, 02:19:38 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 14, 2015, 02:17:38 PM

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about Coghlan, not Starlin. My mistake. Carry on.

Well Chris Coghlan's not getting traded for Noah Syndergaard.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 14, 2015, 02:17:38 PM

I noticed today that Castro's .668 OPS is accompanied by a .333 BABIP. That's ... concerning.