News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why  ( 33,243 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Firebarn Chris Coghlan Because Fuck You, That's Why
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 24, 2015, 08:54:46 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 24, 2015, 08:48:53 AM
Quote from: Slaky on August 24, 2015, 08:43:52 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 24, 2015, 08:41:54 AM
Quote from: Eli on August 24, 2015, 08:30:22 AM
Quote from: SKO on August 24, 2015, 07:16:49 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 24, 2015, 06:00:42 AM
Quote from: WTB...A RING FFS!! on August 23, 2015, 11:43:55 PM
Scary that with 40 games left he def could reach those #'s.

Next season someone else will pay him a lot more than the 2.5 mildo he's getting now.

Good for him.

He's not a free agent, I'm quite sure they can afford whatever he's due in arbitration, and they don't have long term answers right now at second (unless Javy blows them away this September) or left (assuming Schwarber will eventually move to catcher or at least play it part time next year), so why exactly are they getting rid of Coghlan?

A buddy of mine is a Cardinals fan and he's never been more sure of any player winding up on the Cardinals than Chris Coghlan. It won't be next year, but I can totally see it at some point.

If he goes to the Cardinals as a free agent in 2017 he'd be 32 years old. And he'd hit 35 homers.

What do they need him for when they can invent these KKK members in their lab and have them do nothing but get extra base hits. Stephen Piscotty? Randal Grichuk? Fuck off.

Randall Grichuk AA OPS: .780, AAA OPS: .805. Then he fucking lights up the world with an .894 OPS this year in the majors, and I had to sit here and listen to dipshit Cardinals fans bemoan "that Kris Bryant getting blowjobs from ESPN while Grichuk is better than him at everything."

Was so glad that fucker got hurt so now I can hear how Piscotty is better than all of the Cubs rookies combined and also Oscar Taveras would have been, too, were it not for his tragic and completely unavoidable death.

I can't wait for Dolan to bust out the completely inappropriate Oscar Taveras jokes during the playoffs. I'm serious. It's going to be great.

You mean like how the Cardinals have almost as many pennants as they do mourning patches?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 24, 2015, 09:41:02 AM

Next season someone else will pay him a lot more than the 2.5 mildo he's getting now.

Good for him.

He's not a free agent, I'm quite sure they can afford whatever he's due in arbitration, and they don't have long term answers right now at second (unless Javy blows them away this September) or left (assuming Schwarber will eventually move to catcher or at least play it part time next year), so why exactly are they getting rid of Coghlan?

A buddy of mine is a Cardinals fan and he's never been more sure of any player winding up on the Cardinals than Chris Coghlan. It won't be next year, but I can totally see it at some point.

If he goes to the Cardinals as a free agent in 2017 he'd be 32 years old. And he'd hit 35 homers.

What do they need him for when they can invent these KKK members in their lab and have them do nothing but get extra base hits. Stephen Piscotty? Randal Grichuk? Fuck off.

Randall Grichuk AA OPS: .780, AAA OPS: .805. Then he fucking lights up the world with an .894 OPS this year in the majors, and I had to sit here and listen to dipshit Cardinals fans bemoan "that Kris Bryant getting blowjobs from ESPN while Grichuk is better than him at everything."

Was so glad that fucker got hurt so now I can hear how Piscotty is better than all of the Cubs rookies combined and also Oscar Taveras would have been, too, were it not for his tragic and completely unavoidable death.

I can't wait for Dolan to bust out the completely inappropriate Oscar Taveras jokes during the playoffs. I'm serious. It's going to be great.

You mean like how the Cardinals have almost as many pennants as they do mourning patches?

Like that, but funny.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2015, 10:02:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 24, 2015, 09:45:15 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 24, 2015, 09:41:02 AM

Good for him.

Like that, but funny.

It's still in beta.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2015, 10:29:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 24, 2015, 09:10:09 AM
My boss is one of the few rational, non annoying Cardinals fans I know. We had the following exchange the day Bryant was called up:

Boss: I give him, like, a week before he gets hurt.

Me: At least he'll get more playing time than Oscar Taveras this year.

Him: ....I have no comeback for that.

This is funny shit.  Well done.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
This firebarn thread deserves to be firebarned.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »
Sounds like Chris Coghlan has had quite enough of this Kyle Schwarber guy and might be catching a case of the butthurt.

QuoteMILWAUKEE -- While Chicago Cubs outfielder Chris Coghlan wonders about his role in the upcoming wild-card playoff game against the Pittsburgh Pirates, manager Joe Maddon didn't deny rookie Kyle Schwarber could be in right field when the teams face off on Wednesday.

"I definitely have thought about it," Coghlan said of his role in the wild-card game. "Once your playing time decreases you start to have different questions. At the end of the day it's only about winning. That's it. Do I think I give our team the best chance to win in the wild-card game against Gerrit Cole? Yeah, I do. I feel like I'm one of the best eight guys out there."

Coghlan is 0-for-8 against Cole this season and 2-for-13 in his career
, but Maddon hasn't made any decisions yet as he and the front office are trying different permutations in the field and in the batting order this week.

Clinching a playoff berth with nine games left in the regular season has given the manager a chance to experiment.

For example, Bryant had a start at first base recently while Schwarber had one behind the plate on Thursday. It's left Coghlan with less playing time than he's used to.

"I don't know," Coghlan said. "I don't try to read into it. He has his reasons for doing things. I learned early in the year not to try and think on the same wavelength. It's not really possible.

"It's been a weird year. I haven't been playing all of a sudden. I don't know why."

"Consistent playing time is the biggest thing," Coghlan said of his recent decline in production.

It wasn't that long ago Coghlan had the longest active consecutive games played streak in the majors, but he's had only 33 plate appearances in the past 17 games, including one on Friday.

Maddon was asked before the game if Coghlan still could start in Wednesday's wild-card game.

"You could see him there," Maddon responded. "You could."

But on Friday it was Schwarber's turn in right. He was followed by Austin Jackson.

"I wanted to make sure he got some work out there," Maddon said of Schwarber. "It's something you can see. ... The whole point is to maximize what we are able to do at any one particular moment. ... We have options. We don't have to do it just one way."

Coghlan says he'll be ready as a starter or off the bench, but there's little doubt he feels he should be in the lineup come Wednesday.

"I expect to play every day," he said. "[Maddon has] already made his decision I'm not going to play against lefties, so I'm content in that. But if a right-hander is pitching I expect to play that night. So when it's not there, yeah, it is a disappointment.

"If you look at numbers at the end of the day, I do feel like I've produced enough to earn that. Whether that happens or not, I don't know. That's all up to Joe ... I do know with Joe, when you're not playing, from the third inning on you have to be ready."

Coghlan was asked whether it matters if he gets a few hits this weekend against the Brewers.

"For me? No," he responded. "Maybe for Joe. It's been a long year. My body of work speaks for itself. Or it should."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
Maybe Ricketts can spring for a cannon to fire Coghlan (and Hammel, while they're at it) into the sun this offseason.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 04, 2015, 10:36:59 AM
Maybe Ricketts can spring for a cannon to fire Coghlan (and Hammel, while they're at it) into the sun this offseason.

I've defended Coghlan on more than one occasion this year because I think he's been a useful part of the team.  He needs to shut his fucking yapper and keep it shut now, though, because this isn't helping anybody.

That said, I'm confident that Joe will handle this - which, as a Cubs fan, is a nice thing to be able to say.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 04, 2015, 12:28:28 PM

I've defended Coghlan on more than one occasion this year because I think he's been a useful part of the team.  He needs to shut his fucking yapper and keep it shut now, though, because this isn't helping anybody.

That said, I'm confident that Joe will handle this - which, as a Cubs fan, is a nice thing to be able to say.

I felt like he was answering the questions he was asked. He wasn't going out looking for trouble, but asked and answered. He wants to play. Why wouldn't he?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2015, 01:39:30 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 04, 2015, 12:40:59 PM

I felt like he was answering the questions he was asked. He wasn't going out looking for trouble, but asked and answered. He wants to play. Why wouldn't he?

Agreed. I thought he answered it pretty well, all things considered.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »

Don't think you want to enter the postseason with guys saying, "There are better guys than me here, this team is better off with me on the bench."
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2015, 03:23:32 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 04, 2015, 03:05:36 PM

Don't think you want to enter the postseason with guys saying, "There are better guys than me here, this team is better off with me on the bench."

Austin Jackson is a starter on any number of teams who doesn't bitch about being a defensive replacement.  Jorge hit three bombs in a week and then basically got buried the second he cooled off. The only guy to bitch about playing time on this team all year has been Coghlan,  who has done it twice. He's openly questioning Maddon and it's irritating. He can say he has confidence in himself without phrasing it like he's openly questioning Joe.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 04, 2015, 01:39:30 PM

I've defended Coghlan on more than one occasion this year because I think he's been a useful part of the team.  He needs to shut his fucking yapper and keep it shut now, though, because this isn't helping anybody.

Agreed. I thought he answered it pretty well, all things considered.

It's an incredibly long, drawn-out answer. He offered up paragraphs of material. Even if you're asked about it specifically, have some self-awareness and realize that four days before a playoff game is a great time to just shut the fuck up about playing time. You can believe in your own delusional mind that you're the best player on the team or whatever, but just give a brief answer and move on. You're not bound by law to spout off whatever is floating through your head.

It's also not the first time he's complained about playing time this year either. This is the kind of stuff people hated Todd Walker for.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2015, 03:52:17 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2015, 03:23:32 PM

I've defended Coghlan on more than one occasion this year because I think he's been a useful part of the team.  He needs to shut his fucking yapper and keep it shut now, though, because this isn't helping anybody.

Austin Jackson is a starter on any number of teams who doesn't bitch about being a defensive replacement.  Jorge hit three bombs in a week and then basically got buried the second he cooled off. The only guy to bitch about playing time on this team all year has been Coghlan,  who has done it twice. He's openly questioning Maddon and it's irritating. He can say he has confidence in himself without phrasing it like he's openly questioning Joe.

I'm not playing, Joe has his reasons, only Joe knows why, I've already learned not to think on his wavelength (which means Joe doesn't think what Chris thinks he should), if I'm playing bad it's not my fault but the fault of the guy who's not playing me enough, I expect to play every day, "all of a sudden" I'm not playing. There's ways to answer the questions that don't shit on your manager. Chris chose otherwise.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2015, 04:14:25 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 04, 2015, 03:52:17 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 04, 2015, 03:23:32 PM

Austin Jackson is a starter on any number of teams who doesn't bitch about being a defensive replacement.  Jorge hit three bombs in a week and then basically got buried the second he cooled off. The only guy to bitch about playing time on this team all year has been Coghlan,  who has done it twice. He's openly questioning Maddon and it's irritating. He can say he has confidence in himself without phrasing it like he's openly questioning Joe.

I'm not playing, Joe has his reasons, only Joe knows why, I've already learned not to think on his wavelength (which means Joe doesn't think what Chris thinks he should), if I'm playing bad it's not my fault but the fault of the guy who's not playing me enough, I expect to play every day, "all of a sudden" I'm not playing. There's ways to answer the questions that don't shit on your manager. Chris chose otherwise.

This.