News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Random Netflix Shit  ( 3,439 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Random Netflix Shit
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:11:18 PM »
I watched a couple of SPORTZ-related programmes on Netflix this weekend, one about Jimmy Connors ("This is what they want") and a 30/30 film about Brian Bosworth ("Brian and the Boz").  As a kid, I loved Jimmy Connors - I'd support him against McEnroe and Borg every time.  It turns out, though - and I'm not quite sure why I was surprised to find this out - that he was, and remains, a colossal, irredeemable arsehole who sees nothing wrong with anything he ever did.  You can see his point, but only up to a point - when John McEnroe thinks you overstepped the mark, it's probably time to re-examine your values.  Bosworth, on the other hand, was a colossal arsehole who has, to a significant degree, redeemed himself and genuinely comes across as a likeable, intelligent bloke who got caught up in his own hype and made some catastrophically bad decisions.

In any event, they were both very interesting films and if you haven't seen them, and like SPORTZ, you should check them both out.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Random Netflix Shit
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »
I highly recommend "Grace and Frankie".  13 episodes featuring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as the long time spouses of two men, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen, who conducted a 20 year homosexual relationship and then come out and abandon their wives.  Fonda and Tomlin are thrown together as a female "Odd Couple" learning how to cope with their status as newly single women.  Lily Tomlin is a known comedic entity.  Jane Fonda's talent in a comic role is surprising.  The women out act the men, who flaunt their identities as gay men in an almost burlesque fashion.  We binge watched the series in three or four sittings and we were disappointed that there were only 13 episodes.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:21 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 22, 2015, 05:54:56 PM
I highly recommend "Grace and Frankie".  13 episodes featuring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as the long time spouses of two men, Sam Waterston and Martin Sheen, who conducted a 20 year homosexual relationship and then come out and abandon their wives.  Fonda and Tomlin are thrown together as a female "Odd Couple" learning how to cope with their status as newly single women.  Lily Tomlin is a known comedic entity.  Jane Fonda's talent in a comic role is surprising.  The women out act the men, who flaunt their identities as gay men in an almost burlesque fashion.  We binge watched the series in three or four sittings and we were disappointed that there were only 13 episodes.

Side question: don't you think gay actors would be annoyed that they chose two (probably) straight guys to play gay men?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 05:35:18 AM »
Continuing my recent trip of watching SPORTZ-related shit on Netflix, I took in the Penn State/Sandusky/Joe Pa documentary "Happy Valley".  My thoughts:

1. Jay Paterno is armpit-deep in denial and is nearly as much of an arsehole as his old man.

2. Scott Paterno actually gets it, I think, but stops short of explicitly saying as much in order not to rub his family's nose in it.

3. College football is fucking weird, and there appear to be millions of Americans who really ought to try to put it in perspective.

4. Jerry Sandusky's adopted son, Matt, is one poor unfortunate son of a bitch.

5. The one and only voice of reason in the whole sorry fucking saga is Andrew Shubin, the victims' lawyer.

6. The students and alumni of Penn State University might just be the wrongest bunch of cunts ever to wrong the wrong wrong.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »

Are "Fun With Dick and Jane" or "9 to 5" in your Netflix list?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:16:04 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2015, 05:35:18 AM
Continuing my recent trip of watching SPORTZ-related shit on Netflix, I took in the Penn State/Sandusky/Joe Pa documentary "Happy Valley".  My thoughts:

1. Jay Paterno is armpit-deep in denial and is nearly as much of an arsehole as his old man.

2. Scott Paterno actually gets it, I think, but stops short of explicitly saying as much in order not to rub his family's nose in it.

3. College football is fucking weird, and there appear to be millions of Americans who really ought to try to put it in perspective.

5. The one and only voice of reason in the whole sorry fucking saga is Andrew Shubin, the victims' lawyer.

6. The students and alumni of Penn State University might just be the wrongest bunch of cunts ever to wrong the wrong wrong.

All of this is spot on. College football fans are super weird, tribal people. I mean I watch the games because I enjoy the product, but the insane emotional attachment is downright disturbing at times.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 12:56:52 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 23, 2015, 12:02:21 AM

Side question: don't you think gay actors would be annoyed that they chose two (probably) straight guys to play gay men?

Nothing will ever top casting Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man in "Breakfast at Tiffany". 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 23, 2015, 05:35:18 AM

College football sucks

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2015, 12:56:52 PM

Nothing will ever top casting Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man in "Breakfast at Tiffany". 

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in "The Conqueror"?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on June 23, 2015, 01:14:03 PM
Quote from: CBStew on June 23, 2015, 12:56:52 PM

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in "The Conqueror"?

At least Hughes had the good taste to kill everyone involved via radiation poisoning.