News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ask A Nationals Fan  ( 6,562 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Ask A Nationals Fan
« on: September 21, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
Ask them if they think they can hit a ball out of a major league ballpark.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/nationals-offer-fans-chance-to-hit-home-run--win-free-tickets-230538803.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

That is, if you can find one who hasn't drank, gambled and fucked his life savings away after so many years of bitter disappointment and utter shame.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ask A Nationals Fan
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 21, 2015, 09:22:50 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/nationals-offer-fans-chance-to-hit-home-run--win-free-tickets-230538803.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

That is, if you can find one who hasn't drank, gambled and fucked his life savings away after so many years of bitter disappointment and utter shame.

Ten so many years?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 21, 2015, 10:57:55 PM

Ten so many years?

Forget it, he's rolling.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:09:32 AM »

They get a maximum of one swing at a maximum of two pitches.

Or, to put it another way: if you don't hit it out of the park at the first time of asking, you'll never hit it out.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:31:16 AM »
Christ on a fucking bike, the fact that there's any kind of debate as to whether Bryce Harper actually deserved to get choked by a teammate is the dumbest thing in sports since the last awful dumb thing.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2015, 08:31:16 AM
Christ on a fucking bike, the fact that there's any kind of debate as to whether Bryce Harper actually deserved to get choked by a teammate is the dumbest thing in sports since the last awful dumb thing.

Where is this debate happening?  Also, Baez, Soler, plus what else for Harper?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:58:15 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2015, 08:53:54 AM

Where is this debate happening?  Also, Baez, Soler, plus what else for Harper?

CJ Nitkowski wrote this: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/jonathan-papelbon-bryce-harper-fight-current-ex-players-support-pitcher-long-time-coming-092715, which completely downplays the incident as a "dust up" and never once mentions Papelbon choking Harper, and then is a collection of anonymous players and scouts shitting on Harper and the usual "doesn't play the game the right way" crap that just adds up to jealousy over a guy who is 22 years old and better than everyone acting like it and not having time for "unwritten rules."

Nitkowski also blames the entire thing on Harper telling the media that he disapproved of Papelbon beaning Manny Machado for admiring a homer too long. He says that by doing that Harper made public criticism fair game, and thus Papelbon was clearly within his right to choke Harper out. Ridiculous.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:59:39 AM »

Way more than any of us would be comfortable with.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 28, 2015, 08:59:39 AM

Way more than any of us would be comfortable with.

You're probably right.  I guess I was just hoping for some sort of off-season, knee-jerk foolishness from a GM who must know he's not too long for his job if they don't make the playoffs next year.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 09:48:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2015, 08:58:15 AM

CJ Nitkowski wrote this: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/jonathan-papelbon-bryce-harper-fight-current-ex-players-support-pitcher-long-time-coming-092715, which completely downplays the incident as a "dust up" and never once mentions Papelbon choking Harper, and then is a collection of anonymous players and scouts shitting on Harper and the usual "doesn't play the game the right way" crap that just adds up to jealousy over a guy who is 22 years old and better than everyone acting like it and not having time for "unwritten rules."

Nitkowski also blames the entire thing on Harper telling the media that he disapproved of Papelbon beaning Manny Machado for admiring a homer too long. He says that by doing that Harper made public criticism fair game, and thus Papelbon was clearly within his right to choke Harper out. Ridiculous.

As players who become analysts go, I don't really mind Nitkowski.  But he kept using the word "objective" and I'm not sure he was using it properly.

In any case, Harper was probably wrong for not running out the pop-up.  Papelbon is a known asshole.  I'm guessing there's more to this than just the two incidents; something probably happened before the Machado incident ever came to light.

The Nats are a mess.  Papelbon is there next year.  This should be fun.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2015, 09:48:35 AM

As players who become analysts go, I don't really mind Nitkowski.  But he kept using the word "objective" and I'm not sure he was using it properly.

In any case, Harper was probably wrong for not running out the pop-up.  Papelbon is a known asshole.  I'm guessing there's more to this than just the two incidents; something probably happened before the Machado incident ever came to light.

I liked Nitkowski, too, which is why this is disappointing. He's doubled down on the dumb on twitter, playing the YOU DON'T GET IT YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED IN THE BIGS ASSAULTING PEOPLE IS FINE card and continually equating Harper criticizing Pap for the beanball to Pap fighting Harper. Saying it's wrong to hit people to the media is just as egregious as choking a guy out, apparently.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2015, 09:56:03 AM

I liked Nitkowski, too, which is why this is disappointing. He's doubled down on the dumb on twitter, playing the YOU DON'T GET IT YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED IN THE BIGS ASSAULTING PEOPLE IS FINE card and continually equating Harper criticizing Pap for the beanball to Pap fighting Harper. Saying it's wrong to hit people to the media is just as egregious as choking a guy out, apparently.

SKO, you're right, but can I still like Zambrano punching Barrett's (fairly dim) lights out, cause I still kind of enjoyed that.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 11:20:37 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on September 28, 2015, 11:17:16 AM

SKO, you're right, but can I still like Zambrano punching Barrett's (fairly dim) lights out, cause I still kind of enjoyed that.

Barrett didn't deserve that beating from Z.

He deserved that multiple times.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Quote from: thehawk on September 28, 2015, 11:17:16 AM

I mean it's all dumb as shit, but if I am remembering correctly Barrett flailed away at Carlos, and he also cold-cocked Pierzynski the year before. If two dumbasses go at it, whatever. Papelbon picked a fight and then attacked a dude who hadn't exchanged anything with him but words. And for some reason I find two athletes throwing punches at each other a little less disturbing than one guy trying to choke another.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
Honestly, the fact that a fight happened isn't what bothers me. I know that happens all of the time. It's that we can't even look at that fight and agree unanimously that the guy who choked out the other guy for no fucking reason was the one that was in the wrong.