News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cor blimey, it's the British shows thread, guvnor.  ( 4,254 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Cor blimey, it's the British shows thread, guvnor.
« on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:27 PM »
I've already mentioned the following in these pages:

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

... all of which are well worth watching.  Other older shows that you might want to catch up on include:

Sherlock
The Fast Show (probably the greatest sketch show ever)
Black Books (sitcom)
Father Ted (slightly surreal sitcom about Irish priests)
Peep Show (sitcom)
That Mitchell & Webb Look (sketch show)
The League of Gentlemen (Sitcom?  Sort of.  Not really.  Just dark, dark, DARK.  And weird and twisted.  Really fucking weird and twisted.  And dark.)

Other shit you might want to check out:

Black Mirror (a dark sci-fi/political/thriller/satirical series of short films, written by Charlie Brooker, possibly the funniest cunt on Earth)
Fresh Meat (sitcom, probably more for the young'uns amongst you, although I have watched and enjoyed it)

For those of you who have kids of school age, by the way... if you haven't introduced them to "Horrible Histories", well, you're a bad parent.  There's no other possible explanation.

I'll try and post here occasionally as I see (or remember) stuff worth watching.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cor blimey, it's the British shows thread, guvnor.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »
You know what's never not funny? Men dressed in women's clothing amirite?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2015, 12:37:40 PM
You know what's never not funny? Men dressed in women's clothing amirite?

Well, that would explain the success of the Medea franchise.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »

Somewhere in the rubble of Desipio is a Life On Mars thread. Still one of the greatest shows I've ever watched, and Gene Hunt is one of the greatest characters ever written/played.

If you haven't seen it, you're as hopeless as a belt salesman in Iowa.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 22, 2015, 01:07:57 PM

Somewhere in the rubble of Desipio is a Life On Mars thread. Still one of the greatest shows I've ever watched, and Gene Hunt is one of the greatest characters ever written/played.

I watched the first couple of shows, but then it got a bit hokey and self-conscious about the whole seventies thing, and I gave up.

EDIT: if you want to see the original, unreconstructed seventies show on which "Life of Mars" was based, check out "The Sweeney" (Sweeney Todd - Flying Squad).  But do not, under any circumstances, watch the Godfuckingawful Ray Winstone film, based on the series, of the same name.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 22, 2015, 01:17:47 PM

I watched the first couple of shows, but then it got a bit hokey and self-conscious about the whole seventies thing, and I gave up.

EDIT: if you want to see the original, unreconstructed seventies show on which "Life of Mars" was based, check out "The Sweeney" (Sweeney Todd - Flying Squad).  But do not, under any circumstances, watch the Godfuckingawful Ray Winstone film, based on the series, of the same name.

Funny, I didn't feel any of the self-consciousness at all. It just felt like a cop show.

Also under Godfuckingawful - Ashes To Ashes, the sequel to Life On Mars.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on September 22, 2015, 12:27:27 PM

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

... all of which are well worth watching.  Other older shows that you might want to catch up on include:

Sherlock
Black Books (sitcom)
Peep Show (sitcom)
The League of Gentlemen (Sitcom?  Sort of.  Not really.  Just dark, dark, DARK.  And weird and twisted.  Really fucking weird and twisted.  And dark.)

Black Mirror (a dark sci-fi/political/thriller/satirical series of short films, written by Charlie Brooker, possibly the funniest cunt on Earth)
Fresh Meat (sitcom, probably more for the young'uns amongst you, although I have watched and enjoyed it)

For those of you who have kids of school age, by the way... if you haven't introduced them to "Horrible Histories", well, you're a bad parent.  There's no other possible explanation.

I'll try and post here occasionally as I see (or remember) stuff worth watching.

Peep Show is one of the greatest things ever. I thought the IT Crowd was awful.

There was a brief show on Netflix about a guy who gets the clap and then has to find out who else he might have given it to all while he's clearly in love with this hot broad who's marrying some other dude. Hokey, romcom set up aside (also these Brits just fuck at the drop of a hat - is that real life in your 20s because *man* I missed out) it's entertaining.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 22, 2015, 01:35:41 PM
Quote from: Tonker on September 22, 2015, 01:17:47 PM

Funny, I didn't feel any of the self-consciousness at all. It just felt like a cop show.

Also under Godfuckingawful - Ashes To Ashes, the sequel to Life On Mars.

That's because a great many of the seventies' UK references that they were furiously cramming into every shot to make you go "Oh, yeah, remember that?" will have gone straight over your head.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
Dope. Thanks!
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

... all of which are well worth watching.  Other older shows that you might want to catch up on include:

Sherlock
Black Books (sitcom)

Peep Show (sitcom)
The League of Gentlemen (Sitcom?  Sort of.  Not really.  Just dark, dark, DARK.  And weird and twisted.  Really fucking weird and twisted.  And dark.)

For those of you who have kids of school age, by the way... if you haven't introduced them to "Horrible Histories", well, you're a bad parent.  There's no other possible explanation.

I will validate the bold as ones I particularly enjoy. I haven't seen Black Mirror, but I've heard nothing but good, and am a fan of Brooker's rants about TV.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 22, 2015, 02:17:01 PM

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

... all of which are well worth watching.  Other older shows that you might want to catch up on include:

Sherlock
Black Books (sitcom)

Peep Show (sitcom)
The League of Gentlemen (Sitcom?  Sort of.  Not really.  Just dark, dark, DARK.  And weird and twisted.  Really fucking weird and twisted.  And dark.)

For those of you who have kids of school age, by the way... if you haven't introduced them to "Horrible Histories", well, you're a bad parent.  There's no other possible explanation.

I will validate the bold as ones I particularly enjoy. I haven't seen Black Mirror, but I've heard nothing but good, and am a fan of Brooker's rants about TV.

I honestly found Black Mirror kind of irritating after the first few episodes. Basically every episode is just "hey what if all this technology you love is also bad for humanity and stuff?"

But there are some individually brilliant episodes if you don't get tired of the repetitive message.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 22, 2015, 02:34:33 PM

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

Sherlock
Black Books (sitcom)

Peep Show (sitcom)

I honestly found Black Mirror kind of irritating after the first few episodes. Basically every episode is just "hey what if all this technology you love is also bad for humanity and stuff?"

But there are some individually brilliant episodes if you don't get tired of the repetitive message.

I enjoyed Black Mirror, but agree it gets a little repetitive. But definitely watch the first episode. It's about the British Prime Minister having sex with a pig. But it predates the current scandal about the British Prime Minister having sex with a pig.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on September 22, 2015, 02:48:12 PM

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

Sherlock
Black Books (sitcom)

Peep Show (sitcom)

I enjoyed Black Mirror, but agree it gets a little repetitive. But definitely watch the first episode. It's about the British Prime Minister having sex with a pig. But it predates the current scandal about the British Prime Minister having sex with a pig.

The last couple eps of Black Mirror weren't that great but the first few were really fun/bleak.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 22, 2015, 04:48:27 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on September 22, 2015, 02:48:12 PM

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

Sherlock
Black Books (sitcom)

Peep Show (sitcom)

The last couple eps of Black Mirror weren't that great but the first few were really fun/bleak.

"White Bear" was pretty ... bleak.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 11:38:43 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 22, 2015, 01:40:49 PM

Green Wing
The Thick of It
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
Still Game

Sherlock
Black Books (sitcom)
Peep Show (sitcom)

Peep Show is one of the greatest things ever. I thought the IT Crowd was awful.

There was a brief show on Netflix about a guy who gets the clap and then has to find out who else he might have given it to all while he's clearly in love with this hot broad who's marrying some other dude. Hokey, romcom set up aside (also these Brits just fuck at the drop of a hat - is that real life in your 20s because *man* I missed out) it's entertaining.

Same.  I gave the first two episodes a shot and had to bail out.

Anyway I hear The Office is pretty good.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?