News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Living Is Ninety Percent Mental and the Other Half Is Breathing  ( 2,411 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Living Is Ninety Percent Mental and the Other Half Is Breathing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:41:29 AM »
I honestly thought he was already long gone.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 08:05:25 AM »
It's over.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »
Nobody goes to that cemetery anymore, it's too crowded.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
He took that fork in the road.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 10:04:38 AM »
It's funny when a legend lives as long as Yogi does.  There was some vague sense of butthurt on Twitter that people were talking about Yogi's malaprops but THAT HE WAS REALLY A GREAT BALLPLAYER AND LET'S NOT FORGET THIS, which of course he was and, frankly, I don't think sports fans *really* need to be reminded of this.  Reminds me of how my dad was getting annoyed when Ernie Banks died and people were asking folks like Len Kasper--who never saw him play-- about Ernie and of course Kasper was only able to relate what a nice person Ernie was.  I had to remind my dad that most of the people who saw Ernie play are dead, what're you gonna do?

Same with Yogi.  I heard Jon Heyman on the SCORE this morning.  Heyman's actually pretty decent  but he said something as though it was fact and I take issue with it.  He said that Yogi will be remembered more for his comments and malaprops  than as a ballplayer.  I actually think the opposite is true--that as time goes on it'll actually be his baseball career that'll come back in to focus.  We only think of the mis-speaks because that was current Yogi, who was still alive and talking out of his ass.  Once he's gone for a while, baseball fans in 2040 might chance across some anecdotal-related information regarding Yogi but it'll mostly be "here lies the guy that was one of the best players on 10 fucking World Series teams."  That's his ultimate legacy and one that people will probably think of first, should they choose to remember him at all, in 25 years.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 23, 2015, 10:04:38 AM
It's funny when a legend lives as long as Yogi does.  There was some vague sense of butthurt on Twitter that people were talking about Yogi's malaprops but THAT HE WAS REALLY A GREAT BALLPLAYER AND LET'S NOT FORGET THIS, which of course he was and, frankly, I don't think sports fans *really* need to be reminded of this.  Reminds me of how my dad was getting annoyed when Ernie Banks died and people were asking folks like Len Kasper--who never saw him play-- about Ernie and of course Kasper was only able to relate what a nice person Ernie was.  I had to remind my dad that most of the people who saw Ernie play are dead, what're you gonna do?

Same with Yogi.  I heard Jon Heyman on the SCORE this morning.  Heyman's actually pretty decent  but he said something as though it was fact and I take issue with it.  He said that Yogi will be remembered more for his comments and malaprops  than as a ballplayer.  I actually think the opposite is true--that as time goes on it'll actually be his baseball career that'll come back in to focus.  We only think of the mis-speaks because that was current Yogi, who was still alive and talking out of his ass.  Once he's gone for a while, baseball fans in 2040 might chance across some anecdotal-related information regarding Yogi but it'll mostly be "here lies the guy that was one of the best players on 10 fucking World Series teams."  That's his ultimate legacy and one that people will probably think of first, should they choose to remember him at all, in 25 years.

Hey! What the fuck?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 23, 2015, 10:09:20 AM

Hey! What the fuck?

I guess I meant professional media folks and such....adults who saw him play every day etc.,
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 23, 2015, 10:11:10 AM

Hey! What the fuck?

I guess I meant professional media folks and such....adults who saw him play every day etc.,

Jesus, I thought maybe you knew something I didn't.
*cancels emergency appointment at doctor's office*
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
Once he's gone for a while, baseball fans in 2040 might chance across some anecdotal-related information regarding Yogi but it'll mostly be "here lies the guy that was one of the best players on 10 fucking World Series teams."  That's his ultimate legacy and one that people will probably think of first, should they choose to remember him at all, in 25 years.

This. One of the best bad-ball hitters of all time. As much romance as the Willie/Mickey/Duke debate has gotten over the years, the Yogi/Campy one is a pretty damn solid one as well.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 01:33:46 PM »
Way to phone it in, AP.

"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 23, 2015, 01:33:46 PM
Way to phone it in, AP.

Ranger Smith finally got his revenge.
TIME TO POST!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 03:58:45 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 23, 2015, 02:04:38 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 23, 2015, 01:33:46 PM
Way to phone it in, AP.

Ranger Smith finally got his revenge.

The old Exploding Picnic Basket trick. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »

Hey! What the fuck?
You tell 'em.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)