News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2015 Coin Flip Game Thread  ( 14,941 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The 2015 Coin Flip Game Thread
« on: October 03, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
Since there's nothing else to do but to wait until Wednesday (which has basically been the case for over a week now...how unusual is that?), figured we might as well set up a largely separate repository for the gnashing of the teeth and latent cries for help now and run it up to and through the game, if necessary.

Would make sense to begin with who's starting before anything else. I'll start.

We never know what crazy lineup Joe will feel like going with, and I don't care nearly as much as who the 8 guys will be.  

This seems reasonable to me:

P Jake
C Miggy Monty
1B Rizz
2B Castro
SS Russel
3B Bryant
LF Austin
CF Dex
RF Schwarbs

Cole's a stud of course, but also has reverse splits.  He actually does better vs. righties LEFTYS, but it doesn't matter.  Coghlan's 0-8 against him anyway.  My suspicion is that Maddon will hope to get an early lead and then start bolstering the defense behind Jake, so I wouldn't expect to see Schwarber and Castro beyond the 6th if the Cubs're winning, but those two absolutely should be in the starting lineup.  Schwarber in RF might seem unusual until you consider that in Pittsburgh left field (left-center) is more expansive and thus more critical (and that's why I think Joe's getting Schwarber some reps in RF right now, to get a feel for RF in general).

No matter what lineup Crazy Joe rolls out there, if it's a tight game I gather everyone will get a crack.  Hopefully that'd get tiring for Pittsburgh for 9 or 9+ innings because that bench suddenly seems pretty decent.

Discuss.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2015 Coin Flip Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 03:06:25 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 03, 2015, 02:36:21 PM
Since there's nothing else to do but to wait until Wednesday (which has basically been the case for over a week now...how unusual is that?), figured we might as well set up a largely separate repository for the gnashing of the teeth and latent cries for help now and run it up to and through the game, if necessary.

We never know what crazy lineup Joe will feel like going with, and I don't care nearly as much as who the 8 guys will be.  

P Jake
C Miggy Monty
1B Rizz
2B Castro
SS Russel
3B Bryant
LF Austin
CF Dex
RF Schwarbs

Cole's a stud of course, but also has reverse splits.  He actually does better vs. righties, but it doesn't matter.  Coghlan's 0-8 against him anyway.  My suspicion is that Maddon will hope to get an early lead and then start bolstering the defense behind Jake, so I wouldn't expect to see Schwarber and Castro beyond the 6th if the Cubs're winning, but those two absolutely should be in the starting lineup.  Schwarber in RF might seem unusual until you consider that in Pittsburgh left field (left-center) is more expansive and thus more critical (and that's why I think Joe's getting Schwarber some reps in RF right now, to get a feel for RF in general).

No matter what lineup Crazy Joe rolls out there, if it's a tight game I gather everyone will get a crack.  Hopefully that'd get tiring for Pittsburgh for 9 or 9+ innings because that bench suddenly seems pretty decent.

Discuss.

A right-hander better against righties is not a reverse split.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 03, 2015, 03:06:25 PM
Quote from: PANK! on October 03, 2015, 02:36:21 PM

P Jake
C Miggy Monty
1B Rizz
2B Castro
SS Russel
3B Bryant
LF Austin
CF Dex
RF Schwarbs

Cole's a stud of course, but also has reverse splits.  He actually does better vs. righties, but it doesn't matter.  Coghlan's 0-8 against him anyway.  My suspicion is that Maddon will hope to get an early lead and then start bolstering the defense behind Jake, so I wouldn't expect to see Schwarber and Castro beyond the 6th if the Cubs're winning, but those two absolutely should be in the starting lineup.  Schwarber in RF might seem unusual until you consider that in Pittsburgh left field (left-center) is more expansive and thus more critical (and that's why I think Joe's getting Schwarber some reps in RF right now, to get a feel for RF in general).

Discuss.

A right-hander better against righties is not a reverse split.

What's the matter--you don't know how to read PANKLISH?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Agreed that Austin in LF is a good idea - partially because I'm having nightmares about Schwarber or Coghlan making a huge mistake in the outfield that becomes the difference in a low scoring game.

I could also see Joe going with Bryant in RF and Baez at 3B if he decides to go all in with his best Bryant-inclusive defensive alignment.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:52 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 05, 2015, 09:53:31 AM
Agreed that Austin in LF is a good idea - partially because I'm having nightmares about Schwarber or Coghlan making a huge mistake in the outfield that becomes the difference in a low scoring game.

I could also see Joe going with Bryant in RF and Baez at 3B if he decides to go all in with his best Bryant-inclusive defensive alignment.

Counterpoint: Does outfield defense matter if the Pirates can't hit the ball out of the infield against Arrieta?

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2015, 09:54:52 AM

Counterpoint: Does outfield defense matter if the Pirates can't hit the ball out of the infield against Arrieta?

This.  It's sort of the same teeth gnashing Pirates fans are engaged in about playing Pedro Alvarez, because of his defense.  With Cole on the mound, who cares?  Most outs are going to be K's or in the air.  Few opportunities for mistakes in the field = prioritization of offense.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:01:27 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 05, 2015, 10:00:28 AM

This.  It's sort of the same teeth gnashing Pirates fans are engaged in about playing Pedro Alvarez, because of his defense.  With Cole on the mound, who cares?  Most outs are going to be K's or in the air.  Few opportunities for mistakes in the field = prioritization of offense.

nobody cares
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 10:05:43 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2015, 10:01:27 AM
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 05, 2015, 10:00:28 AM

nobody cares

The opinion of Pissburgh sports fans is so low on my radar now, or really ever.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »

Wouldn't Austin in RF and Bryant in LF be better? What am I missing?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »
It's only Monday morning and I'm already spazzing out with impatience.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on October 05, 2015, 10:23:41 AM

Pittsburgh's right field is small, their left field is massive, so the usual "weaker defender in LF" rules do not apply there.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:38:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 05, 2015, 10:32:57 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on October 05, 2015, 10:23:41 AM

Pittsburgh's right field is small, their left field is massive, so the usual "weaker defender in LF" rules do not apply there.

Also: PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION.

Quote from: PANK! on October 03, 2015, 02:36:21 PMSchwarber in RF might seem unusual until you consider that in Pittsburgh left field (left-center) is more expansive and thus more critical (and that's why I think Joe's getting Schwarber some reps in RF right now, to get a feel for RF in general).

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
So, are baseball playoff beards a thing?
M'lady.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 11:22:29 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 05, 2015, 11:20:08 AM

God I hope not.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 05, 2015, 11:22:29 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 05, 2015, 11:20:08 AM

God I hope not.

This seems like an odd thing to have such a strong opinion about.

But then again...Huey.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.